What's your hometown's claim to fame

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
Several;

Eric Morecombe lived here (he died where I was born on the opposite side of the country!)

Owen Farrell lives up the road from me and went to school here - England and Saracens Rugby Captain

Ian McCaskill - used to live across the road from my house (British legendary weather presenter)

Top that!
I didn't realise that Eric's partner Ernie Wise was born in my home town (back in 1925) until the unvield a sculpture of him a few years ago.

Seen here with a few boys from Liverpool.

1642623681290.png

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
Mine was the birthplace of Percy Bysshe Shelley.

It was also the site of the last execution by pressing in the UK, and the last place in the UK where a man sold his wife.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Hmmm…

The Stooges
Motown (dozens of great artists starting with Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, etc )
Aretha Franklin
White Stripes
Eminem
J Dilla
Tommy Flanagan
MC5
Bob Seger
Blah, blah, blah

- Also , for all practically purposes, THE CAR (don’t pay attention to the Germans and their weak sauce )

- And a natural casing hot dog on a bun, covered with beanless chili, diced onions, mustard. We call it a coney and since we’re from Detroit , we don’t care what you call it.

- Which brings up the final thing I’ll mention that we’re famous for - a natural imperviousness to warnings folks from somewhere we’re visiting will give us about a “dangerous area” in their city we should avoid ! 🤣

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Hometown, if referring to where I now live, then;
Despite being only a small village, it is where a battle was fought in 1367, involving about 5000 people. Wikipedia tells me it is considered the most important medieval battle in northern Germany, changing and setting the political and religious landscape for the centuries that followed. The village itself is a lot older than that though, with plenty of Stone Age and Iron Age artefacts being discovered around here, along with one of the largest stashes of Roman silverware ever to have been discovered.

Hometown, if referring to where I was born, then;
A small English village, over 1000 years old, part of the church built with the timbers of Nelsons HMS Thunderer. The house where Oscar Wilde spent weekends with his lover, Lord Alfred Douglas, later became the residence of "Bomber Harris". George Michael lived out his life just over the river, more centrally in the village than our house.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
Hmmm…

The Stooges
Motown (dozens of great artists starting with Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, etc )
Aretha Franklin
White Stripes
Eminem
J Dilla
Tommy Flanagan
MC5
Bob Seger
Blah, blah, blah

- Also , for all practically purposes, THE CAR (don’t pay attention to the Germans and their weak sauce )

- And a natural casing hot dog on a bun, covered with beanless chili, diced onions, mustard. We call it a coney and since we’re from Detroit , we don’t care what you call it.

- Which brings up the final thing I’ll mention that we’re famous for - a natural imperviousness to warnings folks from somewhere we’re visiting will give us about a “dangerous area” in their city we should avoid ! 🤣
I'm ready for one of those hot dogs now! Man, those sound good.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
-the movie vertigo was partially shot in my town.
-the guy who wrote the movie script for la bamba lives here
-gerald ford's motorcade stopped her for lunch once (unplanned) and the secret service got lost on their way to monterey, gerry strolled the town and had a ball just not doing what was expected.
-part of Grapes of Wrath was filmed in my town.
-a significant portion of the donner party was headed for my town when they got stuck in the sierras.
-earthbound farms, largest organic salad producers are based on my road.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
I still live near Pittsburgh but am north about 30 minutes in rural PA. Sadly, and strangely, the settlers named the town after an Indian tribe that they wiped out.

The only real claim to fame in town, or anywhere near here, is our bridge. I don't know, it's just a bridge but every once in a great while, Hollywood decides to come to town to film it or something driving over it. Weird. The last time was The Mothman Prophecies and everyone went to see it just to see the bridge.

John Frets

Tele-Meister
Linus Pauling
Mel Blanc
Beverly Cleary
James Beard
Matt Groenig
Phil Knight

Paul Revere and the Raiders
The Kingsmen
Elliot Smith
Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer
The Decemberists
Esperanza Spaulding
Pink Martini
Kelly Joe Phelps

Only extinct volcano within a city
Powell's City of Books
Food carts
Local breweries
Bicycles
Best pizza in the country (according to the 1700-page book “Modernist Pizza,” October 2021)

… and, how could I forget
Tonya Harding
Most strip clubs per capita

Bellacaster

Tele-Afflicted
Battle Creek, MI - The Cereal City, home of Post and Kellogg. You could smell it in the air when I was growing up. Musically, Del Shannon lived there when he penned Runaway. It was the chosen home of Sojourner Truth. It was a nice place to grow up, but has seen better days.
Oh yeah. I almost forgot GHS strings.