What's your hometown's claim to fame

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
The late novelist Walker Percy lived here. My grandkids are friends with his great-grandchildren.
Opera singer Elizabeth Futral grew up here. I once helped with a children's choir at church that she was in as a grade-schooler.
Pistol Pete Maravich lived here after retiring from the NBA. I remember returning a book to the library, to their box outside the library, and he was doing the same thing. He was a lot taller than me.
Actor Ian Somerhalder.
Standup comedian Theo Von. One of my kids was in kindergarten with his sister.

An album cut on the first Stephen Stills LP mentions the Bogue Falaya River, which forms the eastern border of city limits. He did indeed live here when he was young.

Infamy--Lee Harvey Oswald lived here and attended school at the large brick building in the center of town.

One of our governors had sanity hearings in town back in the 1950s. My wife attended the hearings with her mother.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
Knoxville, Tennessee

Home of the University of Tennessee
Home of Olde Tyme Music
Steamed Deli sandwiches warmed in a Fresh-O-Matic steamer
523.jpg

Lynn's Guitars, the guitar shop that Chet Atkins bought his guitars at. You can ask me about that if you like.
"Snap Vents" - look for the round vent hiding between the seat and bomb site in the plexiglas nose of this B-17 bomber:
19bombard.jpg

Keeping aviators cool for eighty-one years

Bob

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Top this: The first ever execution by electrocution was carried out at in my hometown in 1890. At the time this was considered very humane, because it replaced hanging as the prevalent form of execution. A man who was convicted of killing his wife with a hatchet was the chair's first victim. The town? Auburn, New York. Not far from Syracuse. To this day Auburn Correctional Facility remains the city's largest employer.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
You mean recently? Looks like the last famous thing to happen here was some white folks moved in in 1616:

The first European to settle at Biddeford was physician Richard Vines in the winter of 1616-1617 at Winter Harbor, as he called Biddeford Pool. This 1616 landing by a European predates the Mayflower landing in Plymouth, Massachusetts, (located 100 miles to the south) by approximately four years, a fact that is overlooked in much of New England lore.

Plus this guy was born here. Gee, I wonder why he changed his name from Dudley to Zentatsu.

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 1.36.36 PM.png

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
LeClaire, IA: Birthplace of Col. William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody, and home to Antique Archaeology.

I haven't lived there in 25 years...

Tim G

Tele-Meister
Well, I live in Pittsburgh and many people would say Primanti Brothers. For those that never have, it's actually a pretty good deli sandwich, nothing like New York, but before they give it to you they pile it high with soggy greasy french fries. And no, they won't make it any other way. Let's face it, if it was that good every city would make them. So no, it's not that.

I live just up the road in Johnstown. We have floods.

FMA

Poster Extraordinaire
My hometown bills itself as the "First Capital of the United States" because the Articles of Confederation were adopted by the Continental Congress in a bar in town. (Historians, though, dispute the title since, at the time, technically, the United States didn't exist at the time.) Let's see..barbells and a house shaped like a shoe. And hometown of the band Live.

And it's also hometown of my late uncle, who was a Pulitzer Prize-winning opera composer. So there's that.

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
My town is famous for removing all the trees, building SHAG apartments on every block along with section 8 apartments. Name change coming soon to either "Vanishing Green", or "Strip Mall City".

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
Well, I live in Pittsburgh and many people would say Primanti Brothers. For those that never have, it's actually a pretty good deli sandwich, nothing like New York, but before they give it to you they pile it high with soggy greasy french fries. And no, they won't make it any other way. Let's face it, if it was that good every city would make them. So no, it's not that.

We have 446 bridges more than any other city including Venice.

The Pittsburgh Pirates have the record for most consecutive loosing seasons than any other professional team in the US, regardless of the sport.

Whatcha got?
The "hometown" I live in is that only because I've lived here longer than any of the other 8 cities I have lived in since birth. It's claim to fame is a) Jim Morrison was born and lived here for a short while, and b) there is a city in Australia by the same name.

gpw5150

Tele-Meister
Several;

Eric Morecombe lived here (he died where I was born on the opposite side of the country!)

Owen Farrell lives up the road from me and went to school here - England and Saracens Rugby Captain

Ian McCaskill - used to live across the road from my house (British legendary weather presenter)

Top that!

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
Betty was born and brought up in Parliment Street, her first boyfriend lived a couple of streets down the hill. He later achieed infamy as a serial killer.

1642622027501.png

Betty and Ken (my Dad, not the serial killer) went to school with Beryl Burton, who would go on to become the best cyclist of her era.

1642622420040.png

When not cycling Beryl took on casual work to make ends meet. Through winter and spring she would work in the fields and sheds of the Rhubarb Traingle on the edge of the town.

1642623863986.png

Lastly we have a couple of politicians, HH Asquith was born in the town and became the last Liberal Prime Minister, and Ed Balls was constituency MP and Cabinet Minister, until he lost his seat in 2015. After which he found true fame when competing on Strictly Come Dancing.

1642622958945.png
1642623040467.png

Last edited: