What's your hometown's claim to fame

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Boulder; named after the creek that has some really big rocks in it. These boulders, in the namesake creek, are made of granite.

The University of Colorado is located there.

A sitcom in the 80’s, Mork & Mindy, was fictionally happening in Boulder.

Yoga classes at the Naropa Institute are well attended and houses there are really expensive; I can’t afford to move back.

The Jon Benet Ramsey murder; very sad and weird, took place in a house down the street and around the corner from my grandparents house.

The food, once just mediocre, could now be classified as expensive and trying too hard. But prairie dogs enjoy special protection; extermination requires a special permit.

The climate is very pleasant and the mountains are good. I was taking some out-of-town family for a picnic up Left Hand Canyon and we saw a moose.

Speaking of Left Hand - this great Arapaho peace chief (for whom all local things with the moniker “Left Hand” or “Niwot” are named) was murdered by Chivington’s troops at Sand Creek, along with a large number of women & children. I digress.

Eagle Wynne MacMahon, a professional frisbee golfer, is from Boulder.

Had enough?

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Oh I know and that's a great one! I just watched an older Bruce Willis film where he's a Pittsburgh cop. It's not him. 🙃😎

Right on man! I'll spill the beans for everyone else for you and @Ron R

The late, great, George A. Romero ;) His original film Night of the Living Dead scared the poopoo outta me when I was a kid! LOL!!! I think about every film he ever made was filmed in and around good ol Pittsburgh.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Screenshot_20220119-104325~4.png

telekaster1999

Tele-Afflicted
Our hometown family restaurant boast of being "Home of The Fatback Bar". Also hometown of astronaut Charlie Duke and country singer Julie Roberts. President Andrew Jackson was born here, although North Carolina claims this as well.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I didn't reaaly live in a town. The area I call home was most famous for tha Alleghany Portage Railroad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegheny_Portage_Railroad
I lived near the base of incline number 10. not far from a village now known as Foot Of Ten.
The nearst city of any size was Altoona which was famous for the PRR and the Horseshoe curve.
Steam locomotives were once built in Altoona 1642614887164.png

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
Goshen, NY. Where the sport of harness racing began, as informal races on the mile-long stretch of Main street, in the early 1800s. First track for that sport (the half mile Historic track, built in 1838) is still there. Hambletonian 10 was born in nearby Sugar Loaf, NY in 1849, became the dominant American trotter and a founding sire of the Standardbred horse breed. Meaning every winning horse in that sport came from him. And all the early giants of the sport raced at Goshen. Later a one mile track was built on the other side of town, and became the home to the Hambletonian Stakes, for decades the most prestigious race event in trotting.

The informal town slogan for years was "land of beautiful women and fast horses." To us local kids, that became "land of fast women and beautiful horses."

Goshen's other prodigal son was Willie "the lion" Smith, a gifted and influential stride pianist and early jazz player.

rjtwangs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Also from Pittsburgh, let's not forget the Iron City Houserockers, Donnie Iris, Billy Price, my old friends Norman Nardini and the East Side Tigers, Dr Jonas Salk( polio vaccine ), Fort Pitt, Heinz Food, of course the city will always be thought of when Steel is a topic. The Carnegie Museum of Natural History, and the world famous amusement park Kennywood....and the Mt Washington Incline...oh, and Sid McGinnis( Penn Hills ), guitar player in " the World's Most Dangerous Band "( from the David Letterman Show, with of course Paul Schaffer, who is NOT from Pittsburgh!! ).

RJ

Last edited:

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I was born in St. Louis. Yogi Berra is obvious, but how about T.S. Eliot? In music you know Chuck Berry or Nelly, but did you know Josephine Baker or Miles Davis (OK, East St. Louis but still)?

OTOH the town of 700 people where I later grew up was infamous for a grisly serial killer (before my time) -- but shall go nameless. They don't need more infamy than they've already got.