What's your hometown's claim to fame

Bellacaster

Tele-Afflicted
Battle Creek, MI - The Cereal City, home of Post and Kellogg. You could smell it in the air when I was growing up. Musically, Del Shannon lived there when he penned Runaway. It was the chosen home of Sojourner Truth. It was a nice place to grow up, but has seen better days.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Hey now, Pittsburgh also gave the world Fred Rogers, George Benson, Andy Warhol, Perry Como, Jeff Goldblum, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Joe Montana, and more.

Hey man! You and @Vibroluxer don't forget the one famous man who famously said "Why the heck do I need to make movies in Hollywood? I can make em right here in my home town of Pittsburgh!" And his name is??? ;)

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I forgot that! I need to switch him for Arnold Palmer from now on (don’t care much for golf, but Mr. Rogers is awesome!)
I would keep them both.

BTW, I saw Dan Fogelberg at St. Vinny's in a previous life.

On another note, my close friend just retired from the brewery. He had the lowest clock number in the union. He now drinks Genesee despite drinking more than his share of RR during his tenure. Didn't care for the sell-out.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
ATL the doctor’s home, always somebody hoggin’ the pay phone…

according to the Goodie Mob.

Atlanta, where I am from has a massive music tradition.

Now with enough years in the bank to call Austin my home, we have the best tacos in the world.
And the live music capital of the world.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I guess it depends on what I consider to be my home town. I was born in Detroit. It's claim to fame was... what? Maybe the MC5? I was raised in Racine, WI, just south of Milwaukee. For the first three quarters of the twentieth century Racine was an industrial powerhouse, with more than 250 manufacturing plants and numerous corporate headquarters. Some of Racine's best-known products include J.I. Case farm equipment, the In-Sink-Erator (invented by my friend's grandfather), and S.C. Johnson's Raid!, Off!, Glade, Pledge, and dozens of other household brands. Those three companies still have a presence in Racine, but many other well-known companies have moved away or disappeared.

If you ask the average person in Racine what the city's claim to fame is, they will have one answer... KRINGLE!

wisconsin-kringle  JPEG.jpg

Racine has the largest North American settlement of Danes outside of Greenland, and the city has become known for its Danish pastries. Locals all have their favorite Danish bakery, and among these are Lehmann's, Bentzen's, and O&H. These bakeries have been in existence for from 70 to almost 90 years, and will probably be around for many more decades.

One word of advice. If you are looking for Danish kringle from Racine, DO NOT buy "Racine Danish Kringle," which may be available in a store near you. It is an inferior product. O&H kringles are available at Trader Joe's (limited flavor selections), and they ship nationwide.

O&H Bakery

Last edited:

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
Stephen Crane. Lived up the street from me when he was young, long before I existed (in my current format, at least).

D.H.

"My idea is to come finally to live at Port Jervis or Hartwood. I am a wanderer now and I must see enough but - afterwards - I think of P.J. and Hartwood."
Stephen Crane's October 29, 1897 letter from London, England, to his brother William in Port Jervis, New York.

1642610953668.png