What's your hometown's claim to fame

dblues

Tele-Afflicted
Elgin watches were well known enough to make it into a Robert Johnson song. Good enough for me.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Ft Worth, Texas......don't even know where to begin. Amon Carter, Cullen Davis, Lee Harvey Oswald, the Stockyards and Billy Bob's Texas, Delbert McClinton, George Carlin on KXOL radio, Casa Manana, Joe T. Garcia's, Tandy Corp. and Radio Shack, Jacksboro Highway, The Cellar, (where Secret Service partied on evening of Nov. 21, 1963) Long-Hair Jim Cartwright, Kimbell and Modern Art museums, (the buildings are almost of greater note than the art within) and on and on.......;)
Added.....I just realized, someone could easily write a "We Didn't Start the Fire" kind of song about Ft Worth. ;)
Very well stated
Other places I’ve lived. Meridian, Mississippi-Jimmy Rogers & Peavey
St Croix, VI-Once the largest refinery in this hemisphere & Tim Duncan

BobbyZ

Doctor of Teleocity
Osage Minnesota was well know for it's flour mill, a water driving one. Unfortunately the dam let loose about 1915 and that was that. Today it's a bump in the road with a liquor store, grocery store and Osage Bait and Tackle (OBT) where they also sell petrol, and have a bar and grill, complete with pool table and juke box. The juke box is one of them fancy new things that no one over 20 can figure out.
Otherwise the only claim to fame is a few residents who posthumously received Darwin Awards.

saltyseadog

Tele-Holic
The first Labour PM of the UK was born and lived in my hometown of approx 4000 people. The original Elgin City is 3 miles up the road and the original Dallas is a mile outside town. Dallas was also the home of a school way back in the day known locally as Dollar Academy which has something to do with your American dollar. The full story escapes me at the moment but under the pre decimal money there were eight half crowns to a £ and a half crown was known as a half dollar. I think it might have been after the war of Independence your new American currency of a dollar was based on the value of a British crown but not certain of this?.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
Hank Marvin (The Shadows)
Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)
Sting
Andy Taylor (Duran Duran)
Brian Johnson (AC/DC)
The Animals incl Chas Chandler who discovered Hendrix.
Maling Pottery.
The Steam Turbine Engine.
The first street in the World to be lit by electric lights.
And last, but not least, Newcastle Brown Ale.
Oh, nearly forgot - the Russian spy Willie Fischer (Rudolf Abel) who the US swapped for Gary Powers in 1962.
See 'Bridge of Spies' with Tom Hanks.
How could I forget my favourite director of all time (& his younger brother) Ridley & Tony Scott.
Who between them have made some of the greatest movies, IMHO, of the last 45 years.

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
This, I guess:
dome.jpg

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
James Burton and Kenny Wayne Shepherd are from here. So was Lead Belly.

Plus a few other people I'd have to look up. Eddie Van Halen met his wife here, at a concert backstage, when she lived here in the 80s. He and Val could be seen all around town back in those days.

metalicaster

Tele-Afflicted
Home of DH Lawrence. Yes, we do talk like that.

"Somebody's knockin' at th' door
Mother, come down an' see!
— I's think it's nobbut, a beggar;
Say I'm busy.

It's not a beggar, mother; hark
How 'ard 'e knocks!
— Eh, tha'rt a mard-arsed kid,
'E'll gie thee socks!"