Last edited:

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
Hank Marvin (The Shadows)
Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)
Sting
Andy Taylor (Duran Duran)
Brian Johnson (AC/DC)
The Animals incl Chas Chandler who discovered Hendrix.
Maling Pottery.
The Steam Turbine Engine.
The first street in the World to be lit by electric lights.
And last, but not least, Newcastle Brown Ale.
Oh, nearly forgot - the Russian spy Willie Fischer (Rudolf Abel) who the US swapped for Gary Powers in 1962.
See 'Bridge of Spies' with Tom Hanks.
I've always been jealous of our North Eastern cousins.
You also have the great Paddy MacAloon (Witton Gilbert), Martin Stephenson, Bryan Ferry.
And most importantly Viz which without my large collection of Viz annuals my son would never have received any sex education whatsoever.

I like your moniker btw, it's Mr Strummer's fault that I'm a Tele owner.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I used to have a supplier from SC Johnson in Racine (whose building was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright) who gave those danishes to customers as Christmas presents. Wow they were so good!
It is interesting that you call them "danishes." I know that people elsewhere use that term, but no one in Racine would ever use it for any Danish pastry. I have a friend who still sends me two kringles for Christmas every year. I haven't told him that I can buy O&H kringles at the Scandinavian shop a few miles away from here.

And yes, the S.C. Johnson headquarters, Wingspread, and a couple of other homes in Racine were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. I grew up a block away from Wingspread (our house is just beyond the trees at the upper right of the photo), and friends lived in one of the other Wright houses. That had a big influence on my taste in architecture.

WINGSPREAD  JPG.jpg

Wingspread Wingspread Virtual Tour

Last edited:

Crafty Fox

Tele-Afflicted
I spent the first and third part of my life in Glasgow but the majority of it in a 1960s concrete jungle called Cumbernauld.
I'm now a mile or two from Rob Roy's birthplace (allegedly our barn or what's left of it was one of his regular stopping off points) and where Sir Walter Scott wrote "The Lady of the Lake".

Cumbernauld is famous for;
Craig Fergusson (formerly The Late Late Show),
Jimmy McCulloch (Wings, Thunderclap Newman),
John 'Fratelli' Lawler (The Fratellis),
Gregory's Girl (The 1980s movie),
"The worst architecture in the UK" award 3 years in a row,
and it's also where they film Outlander (Amazon Prime).
Would you believe; I met an English man recently, here in sunny Perth, who was a town planner for Cumbernauld!
As a typical Glaswegian I told him that I hoped he wasn't proud of his achievement.
Oh, and don't tell ClashCityTele; Mark Knopfler was born in Glasgow, my hometown.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
Would you believe; I met an English man recently, here in sunny Perth, who was a town planner for Cumbernauld!
As a typical Glaswegian I told him that I hoped he wasn't proud of his achievement.
Oh, and don't tell ClashCityTele; Mark Knopfler was born in Glasgow, my hometown.
I never mentioned it to Clashcity but I was born in the same birthing room as Knopfler in Redlands maternity just off Great Western Road.
I grew up in Scotstoun before joining the great exodus to Cumbernauld in the 70s then returning to Garnethill in the 80s for Uni and then back to Cumbernauld until moving to the Trossachs a few years ago.

I suppose that makes me a soap dodging weegie too! My accent sticks out like a sore thumb here, it's either thick Stirling/Perthshire or English accents around here.

Cumbernauld was a great place in to grow up in the 70s (it declined in the 80s to its current Bladerunner-esque landscape) but whoever thought that building modern concrete architecture with flat roofs on the top of a wet and windy hill needs their head examined.

My brother in Sydney tells me that anytime he's in Perth with work that he's never any more than 100 yards away from a Glasgow accent.
He refers to it as Glasgow with the sunroof open.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
I've always been jealous of our North Eastern cousins.
You also have the great Paddy MacAloon (Witton Gilbert), Martin Stephenson, Bryan Ferry.
And most importantly Viz which without my large collection of Viz annuals my son would never have received any sex education whatsoever.

I like your moniker btw, it's Mr Strummer's fault that I'm a Tele owner.
I tried to only list musicians from Newcastle itself. I was going to include the Angelic Upstarts, the Wildhearts, Franz Ferdinand (South Shields), Futureheads, Leatherface, Kenickie, Toy Dolls (Sunderland) Penetration etc. I used to live in the same street as Venom's drummer. They used to practise in his upstairs flat!!! Bryan Ferry & Martin Stephenson are from Washington where I now live. Martin's parents live just round the corner from me. There's even some of Girls Aloud & Little Mix from around here!

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My hometown bills itself as the "First Capital of the United States" because the Articles of Confederation were adopted by the Continental Congress in a bar in town. (Historians, though, dispute the title since, at the time, technically, the United States didn't exist at the time.) Let's see..barbells and a house shaped like a shoe. And hometown of the band Live.

And it's also hometown of my late uncle, who was a Pulitzer Prize-winning opera composer. So there's that.
I presently live just across the river.
How can you forget Harley

Wildcard_35

Tele-Meister
The supposed "Live Music Capital of the World"
Elon Musk (I throw up in my mouth a little when I think of it)
Stevie Ray Vaughan, we haven't seen him for a while, but there are lots of 19 year olds with their initials on their guitars pretending to be him. They all got a little older and still have their initials on their guitars. It happens...
Asleep at the Wheel
Bats!
Tech bros (and their sisters, too!)
Slacker
Daniel Johnston
Roky Erickson
Too much traffic
They tell me it was better before I moved here 20 years ago, but I still call it home.

theprofessor

Poster Extraordinaire
And this?

Q[/MEDIA]
Oh, sorry. Already posted

You guys are all correct. Eudora Welty, Willie Morris, a song by Johnny Cash and June Carter. And so on. But I often forget those things. I was never taken by Welty's writing (though I passed her house all the time for about fifteen years) or Morris's, and my experience of Jackson doesn't suggest that any song should ever be written about it, except maybe a blues song. :)