What's your favourite Tele setting? 3-way position, tone & volume.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by aadvark, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Mur

Mur Friend of Leo's

I like toggle at all three positions, and sometimes roll off treble on neck pup. But 99% of the time, it's bridge pup with tone wide open.

2. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    Tough question because there are so many variables downstream from the guitar.
    But, here goes:
    Middle Pickup with tone dimed but
    Volume knob setting is fully dependent upon all of the following
    TS9 on or off
    and
    Blues Jr IV Amp setting: for distortion Master 4 Volume dimed; for clean Master dimed Volume
    Then there’s the FAT channel and rage S1 switch
    What was the question?

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

BRIDGE! FULL BLAST BABY!

Get your earmuffs on, here comes the ice pick!

4. Gardo

Gardo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like the middle position lately. The tone open with a no load pot. The volume rolled back a little to clean up the amp.

5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Neck pickup with the tone wide open and the vol. variable is my favorite, with the other two less so

6. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

This!

7. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Man, I also just love the stock Tex Mex neck pickup in my road worn. Turn the amp and guitar up (tone too) and it's a great blues solo sound - warm but with some nice mids going on too. I've tried replacements just to see, but always go back to that stock neck pickup.

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  8. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Depends of the song...

Blues / JAzz --> Neck + Full Vol + Full tone

Country --> Middle / Bridge + Full Vol + Full Tone

9. NW_TELE

NW_TELE TDPRI Member

Definitely the neck position. So much so that i prefer it to my Strat's neck tone. The mid position gets some use from time to time as well. I don't play Country or anything twang related so the bridge almost gets no use from me. I prefer my humbucker in the bridge of my Strat to my Tele's bridge pickup.

10. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi again.

I went out into the real world a couple of weeks ago, and played through a reissue Twin Reverb. A couple of days ago I headed out too, this time using both an AC30 (early Korg era one, with the six inputs) and, briefly, a JCM900.

All of this has reminded me how big a role the “downstream” stuff plays, as @bcorig called it.

Each time I had to vary things on the guitar to get a sound I liked. Messing with just the amp controls wasn’t enough - it’s a whole interactive package.

For what it’s worth, I favoured the AC30’s ‘brilliant’ channel going crunchy. Similar but different from the AC4HW1 top boost amp I use at home. But I also really really like the Twin’s cleans - they’re so different from what I usually do, yet wonderful too. Probably why I usually pick one of these if I have the choice. The Marshall I struggled with. I don’t really like high gain sounds, but I’ve had great cleans in the past from a JCM900, just takes me a lot of work, and often I can’t seem to pull it off.

But, back to the original question, I don’t think you can isolate things to just the guitar, everything thing matters and changing one thing can necessitate adjustments to others.

Pax/
    Dean

bcorig likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.