Greg Bennett LP copy
Brierley pickups
Made in South Australia

Original pickups in my
Mexican Tele
Seymour Duncan BG 1500 in my esquire

John_Jones

TDPRI Member
The bridge pickup. Definitely the bridge.

I bought one of those much lauded and inexpensive Harley Benton Teles; s TE-52 to upgrade as a project. Something that came as a big shock to me was the cheap Roswell pickups. I had a mind to rip them out and throw something decent in there, but when I heard them, I couldn't do it. They were everything I was looking for.. Except obviously I was listening, not looking.

Dwightcarr11

TDPRI Member
In my first tele I have a set of lollars (special in the neck, 52 in the bridge) now but out of all the pickups I've tried the fender twisted tele's were my favorite. I also have the isbell signature tele now which has a tweaked set of twisted teles that are even better than the original.

gaddis

Tele-Afflicted
My favorites are the ones I put in my partscaster, which I believe were called Fender Original Vintage when I bought them.

telecastasaurus

TDPRI Member
Wilde Keystones, preferably with Bill Lawrence’s 5-Way wiring.
I have their Noisefrees and I love them.

dlaroe

Tele-Meister
Wilde Keystones, preferably with Bill Lawrence’s 5-Way wiring.
I keep coming back to Keystones, even after a set of CS Nocasters. They have a balance between clarity and rudeness that I seem to miss sometimes in the Micro-coils. I do use additional capacitors to get different sounds in both pickups but the Keystones are less clean in a good way. The Micro-coils do work better with long cable runs and questionable pedal boards that leave the Keystones a little muddy.

Instead of the Lawrence 5-way mine has #5 with 10% less low end on both pickups in series and #4's in-phase with an additional small cap to ground so it's both pickups cutting a little bass and treble, fat and midrangey.

Fuller

TDPRI Member
I got my hands on a 1952 reissue set from the fender custom shop, a Josefina Campos set. Awesome for what you expect from a tele…

Two other fun builds - 1) esquire style, single pickup - Seymour Duncan, “Lil’ 59”. 2) HHS, custom built from Kent Armstrong’s Vermont shop.

Drastically different sounds!

robinrockus

TDPRI Member
Hello Everyone,

Very interested to hear what people's favourite pickups are in a Tele?
Preferably single coils, the way god intended them :)

I'll go first.
My favourites are a set of Custom Shop Twisted Tele Pickups (fender.com) in my Partscaster, they sound incredible. The bridge is unmistakeable (twangy) tele but they also have a bit of a Strat vide on the Neck PU. There're wind quite hot, which I really like. I've wired them with a 4-way switch where the 2 position is Neck/Bridge in parallel and position 3 is Neck/Bridge is series. Having both pickups in series sound really Humbuckerish.
I have a Fender 69 reissue in the neck position and a 62 reissue in the bridge of my build. The bridge pu is staggered. They sound terrific to me.

Stinger22

Tele-Meister
Added the Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials years ago to my 60th Anniversary Tele and never looked back. A5's and slight over wound like the magical one's that came out of the 50's....tone forever and with a 4 way switch.

Terrygh1949

Tele-Meister
Hello Everyone,

Very interested to hear what people's favourite pickups are in a Tele?
Preferably single coils, the way god intended them :)

I'll go first.
My favourites are a set of Custom Shop Twisted Tele Pickups (fender.com) in my Partscaster, they sound incredible. The bridge is unmistakeable (twangy) tele but they also have a bit of a Strat vide on the Neck PU. There're wind quite hot, which I really like. I've wired them with a 4-way switch where the 2 position is Neck/Bridge in parallel and position 3 is Neck/Bridge is series. Having both pickups in series sound really Humbuckerish.
Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio. Either one is excellent.

gentrywhite

TDPRI Member
I have to put a vote for Tonerider AlNiCo II Blues. Very sweet and mellow, but hot enough to bark when called for. Especially with a 4-way switch, it’s Jekyll and Hyde.