1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Whats your favourite speaker for a single 12, 18W combo?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jitensha, Jul 18, 2009.

1. jitensha

jitensha Tele-Holic

So after a few weeks of waffling on either a 1x12, 2x12 or 2x10 cabinet for my 18w project, I've decided a single 12 would be fine for my needs, weigh less and keep my minimal aesthetic. So the next dilemma is what speaker. I've read good things about the G12H30s but as I've now decided on a single 12", then maybe I could shell out more cash for a Blue or Tone Tubby. (are they really worth the extra coin?) The Jensen Red Fangs have also been recommended. Do any of you experienced amp builders have any advice or favourites in this department. My cabinet will be open backed. I play mainly a tele (of course) and sometimes a LP special with P90s.

cheers.

2. ripper

ripper TDPRI Member

I've had some really good results with the eminence Govenor and the Private Jack. Really good speakers at a really decent price. The webers are also really good speakers, but it all depends on what type of sound you're going after.

3. Nash

Nash Tele-Holic

I'd suggest looking into the Eminence speakers because they sound amazing and are cheaper than just about everything else out there. I have an Eminence Wizard in my Peavey C30 and it is incredibly clear and pristine sounding. We need to know what kind of sound you are looking for in order to suggest a specific speaker though.

4. gionnio

gionnio Tele-Meister

I've got a Tone Tubby in my Vic 20112 and have never thought about changing it for anything else. Great speaker!

5. jitensha

jitensha Tele-Holic

Yeah, its one of those nebulous, can of worms questions I know. Its very subjective. The amp I'm building is one of the 18W, Marshal 1974x clones. I guess I'm looking for something late 60's/early 70's British sounding; sort of chimey and Voxy when clean but that will have that Marshall-ish growl when driven. (hence my initial leaning to Celestions) I love Clapton's Cream era tone, or Live at Leeds era Who or the Kinks. I played a Hiwatt Custom 50 for years which for me was perfect -- when I got the opportunity to crank it up but it's just too freaking loud for my current needs -- anyway, something in that ball park, if its even feasible with a single 12.

6. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

The "go to" for 18w amps is always the Celestion Greenback.

I like V30s, and AlNiCo's (Celestion Blue is my favorite).

If this is still a project, I'd recommend 2x10"s. Lighter (or at least just as heavy) as a 1x12", but has a fuller sound.

An 18w is flippin' loud, 1x12" or 2x10" will be fine for gigs either way, but I prefer multiple speakers over single ones.

7. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

To my tastes, it's the Celestion Blue or the G12H - the former has the alnico magic and blizzard of nails type breakup, the latter is a bit more the traditional Marshall tone flavor, but with more clarity. I like G12M Greenbacks in closed back cabs but not in open back cabs - I find the bass response flubby and the distortion trashy (not it a good way) in open back cabs, but both of things are cured by a closed back cab. If you need a bargain and want some of the alnico British flavor, an Eminence Red Fang is a good choice.

8. petebradt

petebradt Former Member

If you can find one, the Emi Legend 122P is my fave. They've been discontinued but I managed to snag one of the last ones in the US and it sits in my closet as a spare for my Deluxe.

For 10s, I like the Fender Blue Alnicos. For my money, the best 10" speaker made today, also made by Emi.

They come up occasionally on Ebay.

If I were forced to buy a current 12" speaker, it'd probably be an Emi Red Fang.

9. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Friend of Leo's

Weber

Weber Silver Bell.

JJ

10. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Anything in the Eminence Redcoat series will do the job for a vintage Celestion type British sound. They're warmer and when the amp is on the verge of breakup, they really add their own color to the tone (warm with a little fuzz laid over it) whereas the American voiced speakers in the Patriot series tend to be more blaring and honky.

Remember there are no rules here. Divided by Thirteen amps use a combination of two differently voiced speakers in their 2 x 12's, as do some other boutique brands.

By the way, for a combo, you really can't beat the portability and playability of a 1 x 12. The idea of a 2 x 12 is very tempting, and it does spread the sound around for you to hear each other, but you'll notice lots of guys who know what they're doing use a 1 x 12 for bar gigging.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.