What's your favourite reverb type ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Thin white duke, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

:lol::lol::lol:

2. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I know I should. But I keep putting it off. My "use case" for a 2nd reverb pedal is to have a pre-delay setting for acoustic guitar and vocals (I run reverb in an FX loop of my small mixer - I know guitar pedals aren't always the best for this use but so far it's worked for me). I'm finding some significantly less expensive pedals such as the Hotone XTOMP mini and Valeton Coral MDR that also have pre-delay. Both are in the $70-$80 range. That's less than any used HoF1 that I've seen so far. HoF mini doesn't give enough control on the pedal to tweak in real-time for different environments.

I'm waiting until Thanksgiving sales (and watching for used) until I make a decision. I have a corporate gig with my acoustic trio in mid-December where I think this would make a difference. Before then, the gigs I have I'm probably the only person who would notice a difference.

3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

^^This^^ Its as simple or comprehensive as you want to make it. Use it out of the box with stock settings it’s great. Download pre written TonePrints from the app, it’s great. Dive into the weeds and write your own, it’s great. The editor is very easy and intuitive to use. Highly recommend the HOF2!!

4. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

I'm with Marquee on this one. Twice a year, the praise band plays in the big sanctuary (650 seats, very high ceilings) and both the Deluxe Reverb and the Princeton sound fabulous in there. I put the amp up in the choir loft and tilt it back on it's legs. It's amazing how a small amp fills such a space unmic'ed. Of course the grand piano doesn't really need a mic in there either, awesome acoustics.

The rest of the time it's a HOF 2 on "Hall" with both the level and decay at 10:00. It's mostly for my benefit because that's also in a room with high ceilings. The "Plate" setting on that pedal produces a kind of envelope that's almost DD. Sounds cool when you chop chords with overdrive on.

Thin white duke and Marquee Moon like this.
  5. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

My church used to let me have my band practices there, and we recorded some demos there. It sounded like "When the Levee Breaks" or some cool 80s hard rock sound. It was awesome!

6. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

I prefer the built-in reverb of my Super 210, but if I’m playing through the Pignose then the Boss FDR-1 is pretty sweet.

Thin white duke likes this.
  7. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Plate is my favorite reverb. I also like a little slapback delay occasionally. For overdriven tones I prefer them dry.

8. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

^^^ This ^^^

When I'm at a gig, I usually take the reverb off my guitar and let the room handle it naturally. When a room is really dry, or when I'm working at home I'll add a very natural sounding reverb... usually a room or hall algorithm. When I get it the way I like it, you won't even notice it unless it's removed.

Of course... there are times when the full effect is required. I can't play a surf tune without judicious amounts of spring verb.

Marquee Moon and Thin white duke like this.
  9. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Spring/tank

&

ElectroHarmonics Holy Grail Neo
    Mostly Spring setting

10. Thin white duke

Thanks a lot...

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  11. Thin white duke

Man that must be a real holy reverb..;););)

Marquee Moon likes this.
  12. glenlivet

glenlivet TDPRI Member

Fender amp with built in spring...cranked waaaayyy up....
    ( I'm currently working on an external FX head...with a SurfyBear FET reverb built in....so I may change my mind at some point in the future)

13. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

It really depends on the acoustics of the room or venue I'm playing in.

Because we tend to be conditioned by the music we grew up with, synthetic digital reverb and plate reverb (either real, modelled, or convolution sampled) are still the first choices for most pop work, but fashions are always changing in music, so this situation could change.

14. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Anything with a weird lo-fi texture.

15. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I LOVE reverb. The spring reverbs in my Fender and Carvin amps do me just fine. I also built a Mod Kits DIY reverb for fun and back up. This summer we did an outdoor gig on an unstable flat bed. I had to use the Mod Kit due to excessive boooooooinnnnnggg.

16. Thin white duke

:):):) Well done man....

17. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Speaking of big spaces, I once played a gig at a marina. They had the band set up in the doorway of a boat storage warehouse - the kind of aluminum sided building where they store 30-35 foot boats three and four high using a crane to lift them up onto metal racks.

It was a pretty big party, both in number of people and space our sound needed to cover. I had my Super Reverb on 7 or 8. Needless to say, the reverb dial was set to 0 that day. But it was fun!

18. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Built into amp (spring).

19. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

I’m using their True Spring, which is the one series version of the Ventris. Couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Good 'ol fashioned spring reverb.....the sproingier the betterer!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.