What's your favourite reverb type ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Thin white duke, Oct 26, 2019.

1. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I always found reverb difficult to use live and for home use just whatever was to hand.* I am interested in modulated reverbs as they sound distinct from the natural reverb in the room so they continue to be more of your own sonic space ( that's the theory anyway). I don't have a pedal I can do that with so that's my next FX rabbit hole.

* the clip of Phil X on his rig rundown when he was touring with Bon Jovi and they ask him what he's using for reverb and he waves his arms around the stadium gave me affirmation that reverb isn't always needed as an add on live.

igor5 likes this.
  2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, i have a modulated reverb in the Boss ms-3, i'll try it, i think modulated probably means with some chorus right ? not sure if i'll like it...

---reverb isn't always needed as an add on live.---
    I agree....

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

My ears pick plate usually.

RetroTeleRod and tery like this.
  4. Thin white duke

Thanks..:):)

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I use a Lexicon MX200 unit with superb range of reverbs and studio delays with ducking which blows tonnes of pedal out of the water for around €150. Halls, Plates, Rooms..

You can switch the two fx blocks with remote pedals.

6. Thin white duke

I believe you, Lexicon are great for verbs, it is a rack unit, not very handy for me....

7. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

It's all subjective of course but for me it depends on the song; for a straight blues I like spring reverb, for a little heavier and edgier stuff I like plate, for more ambient instrumental
    I like hall.

Thin white duke likes this.
  8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Anyone use more than one reverb live?

I like a combination of spring from the DRRI and digital plate for recording. The plate is longer and smoother. I don’t use that live but I could.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  9. Thin white duke

To be honest no, unless i need a kind of pad, but for that i use the Particle verb in the line 6 m9, for the rest i usually use only one.....

10. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I keep coming back to plate verbs. The Belton brick fake spring verb is also quite good. For me, as far as verb pedals go, most spring verb sims are too tinny, most hall verbs are too muddy and most room verbs are too short.

That being said, a good reverb tank is a sweet sound.

tery and Thin white duke like this.
  11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

For big verb, stereo halls and plates w/pre-delay set a little way back from the attack and modulation.

Rooms set to very short in place of slap echo.

Thin white duke likes this.
  12. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I play blues, and anything besides a Fender spring reverb sounds strange to me. I have a 1966 Deluxe Reverb and a 1964 Fender Reverb Unit, so those have always been my preferred reverb sounds.

Thin white duke and 41144 like this.
  13. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Spring

41144 likes this.
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m not crazy about stock Fender spring reverb, though the outboard models with dwell controls sound better.
    I like Vox’s onboard reverb better, it sounds “darker” and less splashy.
    I only use reverb when I mimic a pedal steel, or on surf instrumentals.
    A little goes a long way, otherwise.
    The reverb on my EH Canyon sounds good to me.

MrClint and 41144 like this.
  15. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

From a pedal I'll go Spring reverb but ...
    Have recently gone down the light Delay route with the TC Flashback II on analogue.
    But .... There's a TonePrint from Troy van Leeuwen that's like an amp being mic'ed across the room.
    Delay or Reverb? I dunno, but it's really a cool fx :cool:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  16. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Analog delay gives me the space aspect that I like 90% of the time, plus it works well when playing clean or dirty. Reverb for me assumes playing fairly clean and isn't a must have. When I do use it, I use the built in spring reverb in my amp, or I use the Hall setting on my Biyang Tri Reverb. Less is more for me.

brookdalebill likes this.
  17. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

I refuse to buy an amp that does not have Reverb AND a Tremolo built-in. For me spring reverb is the ultimate, I bet it's because I grew up with it. I do have several Reverb and tremolo pedals and they are really quite good but nothing seems to be better than a good old Fender on board Reverb and Tremolo. In fact recently, on a wimp, I bought a Shadow Echo from DR J. and that thing is amazing at ANY price, I alternate it with the BOSS RV-6 and that is in addition to the on board Reverb ( between 2-3 on the dial) on my Princeton Reverb RI and Deluxe Reverb RI.. Sometimes I even have all 3 of them on. Layering is amazing. Stereo is WILDLY amazing.
    Also, I have been getting comfortable with having the Tremolo ALWAYS On ... just a little " wave" you don't notice it .. until you switch it off.
    I think I like these effects because they provide some more sustain when needed. Note I play single coil only, clean.
    On the stereo comment above, for noodling while watching some boring TV etc, I use my Fender little Mustang 1 on the '65 Twin Reverb setting with STEREO reverb / delay through headphones. Pretty darn good for just over 110 dollars.

18. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

For electric, it's 99% spring. That's likely because my main amp for the past 18 or so years is a '72 Super Reverb. So on my non-verb amps I use a pedal on spring for that same feel.

For acoustic, it's about 75% plate / 25% spring. Plate is the main thing but I'll switch to spring for bluesy or old-timey songs. Although, on one song with a trio I play in I use the reverse reverb on my pedal. But I think of that more like an effect (like phase, chorus, etc) than a type of reverb.

I mess around with the room & hall settings on my pedal and have nothing against those sounds, but in the end it's just easier to leave it on one setting and adjust the level, decay & tone as needed.

I am likely getting a TC HoF soon and will surely have some fun playing with some of the new things that allows (like shimmer & mod reverbs, deep editing through Tone Print), but in the end I'll probably still mostly use plate & spring.

4pickupguy and Thin white duke like this.
  19. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

The one is OFF :lol:

20. Thin white duke

The Tc Hof is a really nice pedal, go for it....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.