1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's your favorite wah pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by nosuch, Feb 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. DCCable

DCCable TDPRI Member

!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  2. DCCable

DCCable TDPRI Member

Two original Thomas Organ Wahs and a Crybaby modified into a Jen Double Sound Fuzz/Wah with variable Q control DSC_0396.JPG DSC_0398.JPG

3. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

I like the Dunlop Jerry Cantrell wah quite a bit. I have one of the first run ones. I like the frequency knob quite a lot. I don't like too bright of a wah so I can really dial in the low end with it.

4. Tofloid

Tofloid TDPRI Member

Guyatone fuzzwah, aka Ibanez waufuzz. The wah is meh but I don't really care for wah and the fuzz is fantastic. Guess that's a cheat, but,

5. gskarp

gskarp TDPRI Member

I have a wilson mini wah that sounds great and fits on my small pedal board. Perfect!

6. Gas4Teles

Gas4Teles TDPRI Member

AMT WH-1
    [​IMG]

radiocaster likes this.
  7. Long Tom Cash

Long Tom Cash TDPRI Member

The first wha I ever bought was a Vox V848 Clyde McCoy from my local music store. They had some used crybaby's that looked pretty beat up, and after listening to the salesman explain why the V848 was different from earlier Vox models, I decided to buy the Vox. The V848 seems to make all the classic wha sounds. I'm not good at playing by ear so I bought the Hal-Leonard Crybaby book to learn how to use it. The last time I went into my local store they had some Fulltone Deluxe pedals and I've been curious to try them. My only other wha I have is a wha function on my ME-70 that is currently in my office at work.

8. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I never found one that I really liked. I have owned a few different Crybaby types, a Morley, an Vox V847. I still own the 847 but rarely use it. The Morley was my least favorite. The 847 loses too much fidelity, i.e., lops off too much in the bottom and top, leaving something of a strong knock to icepick mid peak. It's pretty offensive to the ears. Changing the gear position doesn't fix that.

The old 846's sound great of course, but $$$.

9. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Gilmour swapped the cables in & out? And that works?

10. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

535Q. In chrome.

11. andy__d

andy__d TDPRI Member

I used to have a colorsound wah that I picked up in the mid 80s, and it had that perfect mix of percussive crunch and tone. When it finally died after many years of gigging abuse (the pedal snapped off), I bought a cry baby to replace it, and just couldn’t find the sound I was looking for. I’ve picked up a few ways over the years, but none have ever scratched that itch like the colorsound did.

12. ToneM1

ToneM1 TDPRI Member

Change the pot to a 200K, put a 68k CC resistor in parallel with the inductor and change the other resistors in the signal path to CC's, put some Wima mylar caps in it. I got spoiled 50+ years ago by an original Vox V846 that a roommate at Boarding school loaned me for the year.

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

My favorite wah ever was a 90’s Vox. It had been modified, but I couldn’t tell you how. Just one of those things. It had quit working and been repaired a few times over the years, and the guys who worked on it used whatever parts they had laying around, so some component values were different from factory spec. It was really warm sounding, but not dark. Had a really sweet sweep range. It was just a gorgeous sounding wah. It was stolen along with the rest of my effects rig when I was on the road back in ‘15. It was in my pedalboard case. The only two things in there I really cared about were that wah, and a Supa Trem 2 that was a birthday gift from my little brother. I hope whoever ended up with them is enjoying them.

14. majorwrecks

majorwrecks NEW MEMBER!

I may be bat **** crazy but I think my Snarling Dogz Blues Bawls Wah pedal is the best wah pedal I have ever used But I also have a Dunlop and a Morley that work great!

15. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Behringer Hell Babe.
    I don't know what it's a copy of. Variable Q, this, that, t'other plus a gain option. Optical. I'll never go back to a swept pot type. I have to play seated these days and find the switches on my Voxes ( yeah, more than one ) tricky to operate when seated, so the insta-on of the optical is a strong plus point. Another strong plus point of the optical is no smegging crackles developing on the sweep!
    They take a little setting up, but I'll never go back.

16. jms2009

jms2009 Tele-Meister

RMC3FL

17. Frankie Lee

Frankie Lee TDPRI Member

Love the Dunlop Crybaby. It just has that classic Wah Wah tone.

18. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Teese RMC1 it sounds very much like Stills on this. It is sort of a one trick pony but it does that trick very well.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  19. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

My Zvex Wah-Probe, bought one when they came out...had never spent that kind of money of a pedal before. Can't say that anymore...
    E4287B70-E48E-4E56-80CC-D4BEAEB8F312.jpeg
    (not mine, online pic)

And my '83 T-Wah
    9915E62B-967A-4FC3-83E8-690690A41BF7.jpeg

Have the traditional Cry-Baby...hate the thing. When it's off it screws up the tone in a chain like no other pedal I've ever used.

20. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

03130320-DAC7-44B3-ACBE-ECB892854210.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.