What's Your Favorite Time to play guitar?

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
When I get home from a gig, my brain is still buzzing music. Even though the gig, breaking down and the 45 minute drive home was tiring (71 here), I'll sit and play acoustic(s) for an hour or so. I'll always make new connections, hit a few new riffs, thinking all the time I should fire up the DAW and get some of this down,.. but I never want to take the time, I'm just digging playing.

What floats your wagon, playing guitar wise? Got a time o' day, favorite beverage accompaniment, place,..

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
I built a large porch 30x12 of peeled cedar logs with a view cut to see the horizon to pick guitar on in the morning with coffee when my wife is off work and in the evenings with a cold beer to enjoy the hill country breeze after a 100 degree day of outdoor fun. My wife uses it for picking more than me but I've started playing catch up lately. Gotta take the time to enjoy your projects for the reason you built them. Sometimes I lose sight of that in the hustle of home improvements.

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted
Just after I wake up.

That is when my mind is as clutter free as it gets for the day and I can concentrate better.
Also my most creative time of the day.

I also pick locks for a hobby and every single tough lock that I have got just that one open on has been in that part of the day.

Bongoslade

Tele-Meister
in the morn - with coffee and pleasantries (for the muse) - after Mom and Son are at work.
then play along with the jams sometimes.
you must play almost every day - to keep the Rumatiz away...

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I play any time I am sitting on this couch. First thing in the morning (2 cups of coffee), and later in the evening while "watching" TV.

IMG_2581.jpg

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Anytime I'm awake at home, I will be picking up my acoustic ( always out).and playing something- either for just a few minutes, or say for a few hours, casually working out something, or just noodling on stuff I know, always playing at gigs
( do they same w/electrics & teeny amps too, just easier to pickup an acoustic)

but it is productive just to be around the guitar, even if I'm just holding one

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
For around ten to twelve years when I was taking lessons, I practiced every day at 8 PM for at least an hour. Practice usually included learning new songs.

These days, I only play three to five days a week usually starting around 4 PM and ending at 6-6:30. My preference for playing would be 9-11:00 PM, but for various reasons, I do not.

Last edited:

bowman

Friend of Leo's
Can’t really say it’s my favorite time, but I usually play at around 8:00 PM or so; every other day for roughly 2 hours. I got used to playing then before I retired because that’s when all the chores and family stuff was completed, and it’s hard to break the habit. If I’m on vacation, I’ll play during the day, but it feels different somehow, and I play different things. Playing at night just feels normal, and that’s when I write and record my own stuff. I will nurse a drink and maybe have a smoke, but I never get wasted - just enough to make things interesting. I like working this casual way. I have enough original songs for whole CD now, even though that wasn’t - and still isn’t- the goal. It happened organically, and it’s given me plenty of work to do because none of those tunes are finished. They all need a track or two or three before I’m gonna be happy.

Vocalion

Tele-Meister
My favorite time to play is when I am home alone, but I mostly get to play an acoustic or an electric through my Spark as everyone is winding down for bed.