1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's your favorite shape/size, and wood for an acoustic guitar and why?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Cali Dude, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Acoustic guitars, they come in so many styles, shapes, sized, woods, etc.... Do you have a favorite size, shape, or wood choice, and why? Below is my fave. It's the Larrivee L-09. IMG_20210204_092713073.jpg

fishermike, JohnAC, Obsessed and 10 others like this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Collings OM-1. It has mahogany back and sides and a spruce top. My favorite guitars over the years have always has that combination. But the Collings...it's something special.

I've historically always played dreadnoughts, but I've started to find them overly large and cumbersome, especially for playing at home, sitting down most of the time. I like the OM/000 size because it's still loud enough to do both fingerstyle and strumming stuff equally well, but it feels more intimate to play.

3. GuitarRandy

GuitarRandy TDPRI Member

Sitka Spruce top with rosewood back and sides gets my vote. I love the sound and volume I get from it better than any other combo I've played. My main rig is a Taylor 814CE which I believe is the grand auditorium bod shape with a lower cutaway.

4. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ladder-braced Sovereign OM - just fits better
    Spruce top & mahogany back, sides, neck - that's how it was made
    YMMV

Dukex, Cali Dude and El Tele Lobo like this.
  5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Its cheating to have a larrivee and ask about guitar preferences.........

I like the sound and projection of a sitka topped jumbo.

I like the look of mahogany topped guitars more. So obviously my next acoustic purchase should be a jumbo yairi and a blindfild.

If I could ever justify the cost, I'd love a larrivee OM10 with the mermaid inlay in the headstock. I think they average $5k typically?

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg

These are my favorites.
    The James Goodall RCJC is an Indian Rosewood, Sitka Spruce cutaway Jumbo, with a 25 1/2 inch scale and 1 3/4 inch nut width.
    It's my all-time favorite acoustic for it's balanced tone, perfect playability and great looks.
    The 1963 Epiphone Texan is my old first choice.
    I owned another 1963 Texan, a natural finish model when I was a kid.
    It's a Kalamazoo era, Gibson made, mahogany slope-shoulder dreadnought, but is long scale, unlike it's Gibson cousin, the J45.
    It has that warm tone that is great for accompanying vocals.
    The slightly longer scale makes the bass strings "pop" a little more, IMO.

envirodat, SparkleFart, drewg and 8 others like this.
  7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    Adirondack spruce top with solid rosewood back and sides produces a very harmonically rich tone. The neck on this one looks to be mahogany with a rosewood fretboard and overlay on the headstock.

Maguchi, envirodat, Deeve and 3 others like this.
  8. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

I like the Martin OM. I like a Sitka spruce top and mahogany back and sides. That combination gives me a versatile sound that works for both my bluesier leanings and my folk/Paul Simon-esque material, for flatpick/strumming and fingerstyle alike.

Maguchi, Jared Purdy, Dukex and 2 others like this.
  9. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dreadnoughts are too big for me. The Martin M shape is my favourite. The lower bout is 16" but the body depth is less than a dreadnought at 4 1/8"

04152013177.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  10. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Jumbo or OM.

- I've played wonderful sounding dreds but the wide waist bothers me
    - A Jumbo, not necessarily quite as plump as a Gibson, is more comfortable to me, and can sound big
    - A well built OM can have a great sound quality for my liking, and the possibly lesser volume is not an issue for me.

If I ever start seriously looking for another acoustic: there's a couple of directions I might go: a smaller "traveling friendly" guitar, or a Small Jumbo or Modern Jumbo, that is shaped more sleek than a traditional Jumbo.

Dukex and Cali Dude like this.
  11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Cutaway concert sized bodies.
    FF8205D0-6E35-4713-B0E7-9163F8C696EC.jpeg 1EF0E4E4-FDBA-4B0E-ABC5-3E2D3173850A.jpeg

JazzDreams, envirodat, REWTX and 3 others like this.
  12. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I like smaller bodied guitars ranging from single ought to triple. I like spruce, mahogany, cedar, rosewood,

IMG_5636-1.jpg

red cedar and cocobolo OM is my current go to

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4421.JPG

Last summer I built a classical out of some douglas fir flooring from a local school - Its kind of plain looking but sounds wonderful

Front 1.jpg

Back 3.jpg

Here are two parlors, both are Lutz, one is Mad rose, the other Braz. Can't tell them apart

IMG_2970A.jpg

IMG_2975-1.jpg

They are all different, each in its own way.

Dik Ellis, glen851, envirodat and 7 others like this.
  13. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I've always wanted a rosewood J-45 but the necks are usually too small. I prefer V shaped necks. I once played a 1935 D-18 that was incredible. I'm still on the hunt for a really good acoustic guitar.

14. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Wow, those are some cool high end guitars. Beautiful!

15. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My gut pushed my dreadnought out so far that I can hardly play it. Frankly I doubt the gut will retract and I'm not sawing the dread into a thinline.

Over the years, I've grown to like smaller guitars. My 1915 Gibson L-1 is just about perfect, sizewise (and soundwise too). That lower bout is 13-5/8" wide, 24-3/4" scale...dang near parlor size.

1915 L-1.jpg

00-sized Martins are probably my favorite flattop size. I'm planning on building at least one.

Martian, Obsessed, Old Smokey and 3 others like this.
  16. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

If I had to choose just one it would be a Grand Auditorium, Martin 0000, or Larrivee "L" model. These are the most versatile for me.

I really like Slope Dreads as long as they're not too loud (tinnitus).

Piggy Stu, Cali Dude and black_doug like this.
  17. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

Went shopping for an acoustic guitar twice, the first time I picked a 000, the second time an OM. The smaller body feels nice to me, and I like the balanced sound, especially when playing solo.

As for woods, I picked an all sapele guitar the first time. The second time around I thought rosewood back and sides would be a nice contrast, but I picked a mahogany/spruce guitar, which still amazes me. My favorite electric is also mahogany.

Maguchi, howardlo and Cali Dude like this.
  18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I have been playing guitar forever, but my acoustic guitar sampling...

( either guitars I've owned, or even picked up to play)
    ...has been just teeny! Haven't played enough different guitars to form an opinion.

The guitars I played ( only 3 main ones over 46 years) have been a Nagoya N-28 ( D-28 copy), a Yamaha similar to a dreadnought, and a Martin Spruce/mahogany dread since 1993.

So, dreadnought were not a choice, so much as just what I happened to buy, and liked them to play anything.

But I really don't mind anything that is set up well, has a good sound.

( I now own an 000-size Blueridge, along with the Martin)

Cali Dude likes this.
  19. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I like OM style guitars

I had a jumbo yak anime (takamine,dang autocorrect) I really liked and now have a tanglewood OM copy

Something about big spruce top guitars for me

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Dan German and Cali Dude like this.
  20. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

For me it is OM or OOO size. Least favorite size is easily dreads. My most valuable guitar dollar-wise is my 1978 Martin D-18. It is also by far the least played of my 17 acoustics. Only reason I have it is because I got a good deal on it from the guitar player in my bluegrass band back in 1980 when he bought a new HD-35. Played it around campfires sometimes after our shows were over. Got out of the band in 1985 and have hardly played it since.

Mahogany back and sides and either spruce or mahogany tops. I really do like all solid mahogany guitars a lot (have two and thinking about number three).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.