What's your favorite mandolin pick

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
My Ibanez electric/acoustic mandolin is scheduled to be delivered today! Yay. And then I remembered when I had one 50 years ago I had teardrop picks too.

So now I'm searching for mandolin picks when I remembered "Hey, ask the forum" duh... 'cus on eBay I'm seeing crazy high prices for weird looking picks.

So what's your favorite mandolin pick?

While I'm at it....., what's your favorite mandolin strings?

Thanks!

Matt Sarad

Friend of Leo's
I've been using a tortoise shell, Blue Chip, and various other curvilinear triangle shapes.

I recently bought a Charmed Life pick. Made of casein with a few holes in the middle for a tighter grip, it is larger than what I'm used to.

I loaned it to a friend along with my F9 Gibson.
He loves the Chop and articulation at gigs.
It is both brighter and louder than my other picks.
With the addition if a ToneGard for the back of the Gibson, my $2k investment a dozen years ago is sounding better. It does an excellent job of cutting through the banjo and fiddle.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My GF is on a quest to make the perfect Uke pick.

Apparently there was an old gent in the UK who made the perfect Uke pick but he passed away and the family didn't continue making them.

they are like .025mm stiff plastic with a fine felt on each side, like pool table cloth.... flocking they call it...

Of course she enlisted me to web search for all the stuff..with some success. We're getting close to the originals she has....

keeps her busy, I guess..;)

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
A 1923 F5 lloyd Loar would be my pick.
Haven't played mandolin in about 50 years when I had to give my uncle his mandolin back. The idea is to see if I like it before spending a lot. Also thinking about bozuki's...

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
For the longest time it was only these stubby pointy things
1663028514693.png

0.jpg

I'll have to revisit those

Last edited:

Mandocaster68

Tele-Meister
Mandolin is my primary instrument. Over the years I've cycled through several different types of pick. With paired strings under high tension, you really do need a thicker/stiffer pick to get the strings and top moving. It's not so much a harder attack, as it is a firm one.

I've used the rounded off triangles originally sold as "Dawg" picks. Currently Golden Gate and D'Andrea Pro Plec's make these, ranging from 1.3mm to 1.5mm. Not crazy expensive and great picks for most mandolin work.

Over the past three or four years, I've migrated back to thick picks of the "standard guitar pick" 351 shape. I like them with the point slightly blunted, or played in. They seem to give me a bit more control picking individual notes quickly, but I do lose some agility with tremolo playing. A trade off for sure, but it seems to work best for me. My current go-to picks are the D'Andrea Pro Plec 351 or good old Fender Extra Heavies (1.2mm).

Another I've had success with is the Jim Dunlop Gator Grip 2mm pick. Good hard drivers but they only come in black, so if you drop one on stage, its probably gone. If you use the back corners on these thick monsters, you can tremolo like an old Italian master for days and days.

I also seem to do better with celluloid picks. For me, they feel like they slide cleanly off the strings. It's a just a feeling thing.

There are a lot of players that talk about how much they like casein picks. I simply refuse to spend that kind of money on a pick. They may indeed be wonderful. I have not lost a single gig because I don't have one.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Wegen bluegrass, and medium strings, and brand, really.

I brought my resonator mandolin to a folk sing yesterday and it swamped everyone else, so i went back to playing guitar. I wasn’t even digging in that hard.