1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's your favorite low gain OD pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mark, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

The best slight OD tone I have ever gotten for the stuff I like to do is my butterscotch Tele with a Broadcaster pickup in the bridge running through a Wampler Ego compressor to a Boss GE-7 into the clean channel on a 5 watt 112 turned up to 5.

I recently had a Kendrick attenuator installed in my 50 watt Boogie. I wanted to see if I could recreate it on my Boogie. It does it. The attenuator has 2 easy accessible switches. Flip one and the speaker runs at -6db. Flip both and the speaker runs -12 db. I got my tone with -12db attenuation running the Ego into the GE7 into the clean channel of the Boogie. I shut the attenuator off just to see the difference and it hurt ... Like Danny Gatton ear bleed hurt. The volume level with attenuator on is a decent stage level volume and most of you know I don't like loud stage levels. No high end or tonal loss. That usually only happens at -15db or greater attenuation.

My best light OD pedals are a compressor into a graphic EQ.

cm3ohana likes this.
  2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Yup! Really like mine. An even lower-gain pedal that I should never have sold was the first version of Barber's LTD. Both have open, airy sounds that suit my style.

3. Mark*123

Mark*123 TDPRI Member

This!

4. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I've been experimenting with low gain pedals in front of a solid state amp for jazz playing. Just a little bit of breakup, more midrange than typical.

So far my favorite all around has been the tc electronic mojomojo. Unlike most dirt pedals, It doesn't hi-pass the low end. Also in contention, the Supro Drive pedal. It has a very distinct tone color but is the most amp-like pedal I've ever used. There's something extremely cool about it.

On the way: Fairfield barbershop

Tested so far: blackstone MOSFET overdrive, Caline Timmy clone, tech 21 blond, bad monkey, bigtone brewery MOSFET overdrive, joyo sweet baby, nocturne jr. Barnyard

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  5. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Blue note has been my favorite for years and still is for fat low gain tones but i recently acquired a Pettyjohn Chime - man alive this thing is special. It does that Klon fat but sparkly thing that floats above the mix without seeming middy or deliberately pushed. Endless EQ options but i basically have it set as a preamp with a little sheen, worth it to check out for sure

4pickupguy likes this.
  6. Jake_Blues

Jake_Blues Tele-Meister

I've been using a KTR most of the time and really haven't felt a need to use anything else (going into a Demeter TGA-3). I have a Voodoo lab Giggity on my small rig and it works great with the TGA-1. I like the EQ choices it offers, particularly when going from Single-coil type pups to HB's

7. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

Walrus Audio Messner

8. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Boss BD2 at the moment but thinking about the new Hudson Electronics Broadcast.

9. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Fave - J. Rockett, Archer - Ikon, (the gold one)

2nd Fave - EHX Soulfood

10. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Digitech Bad Monkey - it's all in the settings. ;)

darkwaters and maxvintage like this.
  11. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

I agree about the Joyo Ultimate Overdrive. With gain set low, I get my amp's breakup at a much lower volume. Although I generally set it a bit too crunchy and clean it up with the guitar volume...

12. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

The Bad Monkey is pretty cool. In my experience there are other pedals that feel a little less like pedals and more like amps, but the Bad Monkey is really versatile. You can still buy them on Aliexpress for like 30 bucks. All Chinese labels and lettering, kind of cool

Here's a clip of the Supro Drive though a solid state amp. Starting with really low gain and then gradually bringing the guitar volume up a little bit

Supro Drive

13. telemandave

telemandave Tele-Meister

I love my Soul Food overdrive. It has a great transparent tone with the gain at 12:00. Not a hard rock pedal, but for blues and country stuff, it is amazing. :)

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Snouse black box and TOD

15. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Another Bad Monkey fan here.

I also really like the MXR Custom Badass (hate that name) with the gain really low, say 8:00.

Picked up a used TC Spark Boost the other day and I'm really loving it, but it's no OD. Even with the gain maxed out it sounds quite clean to me. For tone adjustments and pushing the front end of a tube amp (which is what I bought it for) it's exquisite.

16. Randy Ito

Randy Ito TDPRI Member

I use Danelectro CTO-2 to Push tube amp. I Think It have straight tone,Compare with BOSS OD-1, BD-1, DOD250 and TS are more.
    And I use VOX FLAT4 Booster to solidstate amp. For add a small amount of warm and Little Saturation.

17. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

PS - Just checked the Barber website. They don't make the LTD anymore, but their new Gain Changer combines the old low-gain LTD with several of its other circuits. Looks like fun!

A pricier option: Went to my weekly bar jam last night and tried the low-gain side of my King of Tone through my little eighteen-watter, and it was loud, clear, and gorgeous in a very noisy setting, mission accomplished.

18. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Honey bee!

t.e.l.e. likes this.
  19. telefan62

telefan62 Tele-Meister

At one time, I'd have answered Catalinbread Formula #5...and more recently, I'd have answered Timmy.....but now -and I'm shocked nobody else has mentioned it yet- the Greer Lightspeed Organic Overdrive is my fav low gain pedal. It's always on for me.

20. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

+1

Love my Joyous. [emoji4]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.