1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's your favorite fretboard material?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleBluesMan, Sep 30, 2020.

What's your favorite fretboard material?

1. Ebony

66 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. Rosewood

89 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. Maple

84 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. Pearloid

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  5. Richlite

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Pau Ferro

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. Other

9 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. Stringeyfinger

Stringeyfinger TDPRI Member

Totally agree with how it looks sounds and feels in my hands ratheR than what it’s made of

edvard likes this.
  2. Yuro

Yuro Tele-Meister

I have ebony, pau ferro, maple and lots of rosewood.

I like ebony best.

I'm not fond of maple really. Count me among the heretics that like dark boards on my strats and teles.

I like capped Fender necks better than skunk-stripe necks.

This, to me, is not a sound thing, it's asthetic and it's just about what I like.

Oh, and I don't like SS frets either. Too gritty feeling when you bend.

P Thought likes this.
  3. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

Ebony is #1 in my book.

Although my '76 Guild D25M has a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard which I love.

Maguchi likes this.
  4. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

I like the feel of rosewood but the look of maple (especially if it’s worn).

5. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

What is a pearloid fretboard? A wood fretboard with large pearloid inlays that cover most of the space between frets like a Les Paul Custom? Not sure I know what the term pearloid means when it comes to fretboards.

6. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

upload_2020-10-2_16-50-43.jpeg

[​IMG]

7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Ceramic finger slide....:p

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Since you're poll didn't allow for more than one vote per customer, I voted "Maple." I have 5 teles, all with maple fretboards, far and away my preference for a tele. I have an old Harmony archtop that has a maple neck/fretboard, though the fretboard is ebonized.

I do have an acoustic/electric tele with a rosewood board, and I like it just fine. I have two acoustic/electrics and a classical that have rosewood boards, two a/e guitars that have ebony, which I think I prefer over rosewood.

And I have played and would be open to owning a guitar with a Richlite neck.

9. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Looks like a novelty guitar for show. Probly not that common on everyday guitars used to play out.

10. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Last guitar I built i used Hickory for the fingerboard I really like it just feels good, Another wood I've used is Canary wood and waterfall Bubinga (pic Hickory) IMG_4811 copy.jpg

11. MoHump

MoHump TDPRI Member

I didn't know you could get black locust, that's one tough wood, and heavy too. The greenish cast is interesting also.

12. MoHump

MoHump TDPRI Member

I also prefer ebony. Comes from owning and playing older banjos. Most RW is good also. Tried maple, just to sticky when my hands sweat.

13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

After a very short time , both of these woods turn to a golden tan/brown . I like it very much . They are both quite stable when quartersawn .

14. Twofivetele

Twofivetele TDPRI Member

I play a Tele with a maple fretboard, a Strat with rosewood, a Heritage H530 (ES330) with Rosewood, and a Heritage Sweet 16 with Ebony. Oh and a Palir JM with humbuckers and a maple board.

My preference is definitely rosewood for Gibson style guitars and for Strats. From my experience, fender style guitars especially have a shift in tone based on the board. I get plenty of articulation from my strat and want the rosewood for a darker, perhaps slightly “woodier” tone. But on a tele, I want a maple board- especially in the case that the tele is higher output (as is often the case) than a strat. The maple doesn’t only brighten the tone a bit but it helps the tele get that quick attack. Birdseye maple is incredible on a Tele.

Maguchi likes this.
  15. 2manyteles

2manyteles TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I don't have a preference. It really comes down to sound and what works best with all the pieces put together.
    My least favorite feel is a high gloss finished board. However, even at that, I have a maple board strat with gloss finish but huge frets and it plays and sounds great. So yeah, it's all over the place. No winner here.

16. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

Between the two it would be ebony.

17. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sheetrock

P Thought likes this.
  18. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

"Pearloid" is NOT a "freboard material" ... I'd really love to see your example of Pearloid as a fretboard???

With your vast experience "I only have Rosewood fretboard guitars. Don't like Ebony, don't like Pearloid, not fond of Maple, haven't played any others.", ... guess that leaves you with Cement or Aluminum, huh?

:rolleyes:

19. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

WTF?
    I posted some examples of Pearloid fretboards above. Most notable is the Gibson Century Of Progress acoustic guitar. Cement or Aluminum? In the past I've owned Ebony, Maple, Pearloid, and Rosewood. I prefer Rosewood.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  20. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I put "other" because I really don't have one. On a Fender, I prefer maple, but I'm more than fine with rosewood. Haven't played much Pau Ferro and what I played I didn't like, but I can't say for sure. For Gibson types, I sort of prefer ebony to rosewood, but some rosewood feels enough like ebony I'd never notice the difference. On acoustic, ebony is great, but rosewood is more than fine - so's richlite for that matter. I'm agnostic about a lot of things - this is one of them.

-Ray

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.