1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's your favorite fretboard material?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleBluesMan, Sep 30, 2020.

What's your favorite fretboard material?

1. Ebony

66 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. Rosewood

89 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. Maple

84 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. Pearloid

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  5. Richlite

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Pau Ferro

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. Other

9 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It depends on the guitar but maple

2. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Its mostly an asthetic thing to me. I have no problem with the tone or feel of any typical fretboard wood. I generally prefer ebony over rosewood because its usually darker than rosewood, more durable, and requires less maintenance.
    A maple board on anything but a Fender style guitar just doesn't look right. I generally prefer maple on my Teles but its not a deal breaker. Strats can go maple or rosewood(or some darker substitute). A Jazzmaster or Jaguar needs a dark board to look right IMO.
    A Gibson, Gretsch, or similar traditional set neck guitar just looks stupid with a maple fretboard, as does any acoustic guitar.

I voted for ebony, because of how great its proved to be on my 37 year old Carvin and my 35 year old Martin. And also because of how beautiful it is on my 2 year old White Falcon.

But when I built my parts tele, it had to have a maple board.

3. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

My “Go to” is always Maple, in particular with a nice silky, satin finish on both the neck and the fretboard.

I do not like sticky nitro maple necks, though.

However, one of my guitars is a really nice ‘62 reissue white blonde Tele that’s almost like a cream color with a white guard. That actually has a rosewood neck on it that beautifully complements the body colors. So, I do like rosewood too, if not only for aesthetic reasons. But overall, I love maple.

DA1B4FFF-16A6-40E0-A8A1-C2A29D4E6465.jpeg

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I see a comment, that an ebony board needs nothing. This makes me nervous, as I have seen ebony boards that were subjected to very dry, possibly very warm conditions and the wood couldn't stay together - and the board showed splitting with the grain. Not my guitars and so I have no idea how much abuse it actually took. But to me, ebony is too dear to be ignored entirely.

I'm doing something, myself, that is I guess pretty weird. I've used an old fashioned oil based grain filler (with the right amount of pigment and of the right shade) to grain fill East Indian Rosewood boards. Those pores sometime annoy me, and since an Indo-Squier neck with such a board was fairly cheap, I thought I'd take a shot at it - and once you seal the grain filler into the pores with a couple coats of a quality wipe on wipe off finish, it isn't going anywhere soon.

So, question: Anybody heard of others doing this? My choice of poison - Bartley's. Yeah, I guess I got a 20 year supply. Hasn't been available for purchase, for maybe 10 years. :^)

edvard likes this.
  5. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

R.W
    Ebony
    Maple

6. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Afflicted

Richlite.

7. Sybo

Sybo Tele-Meister

Rosewood and Ebony are on top of my list, but Maple sounds great with all the ingredients stirred well.......

8. Walden

Walden TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Maple, don't know why...

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Ebony
    Rosewood
    Pao Ferro

10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I prefer ebony for appearance, but in the end, & for playability I really don't care what the fingerboard is made of & don't believe it really matters. Some will argue this & also in the end, I don't care what their opinion is. As long as the guitar holds the frets & doesn't appear like an old car with mismatched fenders, hood, or trunk, I am good with whatever.

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

On the list of things I care about.. its not on the list

carpenter and radiocaster like this.
  12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

That said.. i do like the birdseye maple on my Patrick Eggle neck... but is also engineered like a dream with chunky, perfect frets.

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Vintage petrified dinosaur dung.

Man, I don't know. Most guitars I have have rosewood, except for one that has maple and another that has Indian laurel. That is not enough diversity to have an opinion. I don't even have an opinion on rosewood vs. Indian laurel. If you're talking pure looks, I've seen some pics of tropical woods with very interesting grains.

14. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Maple

15. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

I like them all, with the exception of Pau.........Ebony is my favourite though

16. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I tend to like bare wood hence traditionally rosewood or ebony.
    I do have a home brew Tele with a maple neck that is completely unfinished and that is real nice to play - trouble is it really shows the grime and it’s ingrained fast....

17. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ditto!
    In the end it really doesn’t matter. I just have my preferences for Ebony. I love the color, feel and response. All goes back to that LP Custom. Why don’t I still have that? Maple is second. Dark Pao Ferro is just as good as the rest. I’m ready for bamboo!! Super sustainable.

xtelesquirex likes this.
  18. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

My only guitar for over a decade was an LP Custom. I got used to that board. My nylon string has an ebony board. To me, maple just feels nicer. Maybe because it's sealed. I don't know.

Festofish likes this.
  19. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

I like ebony for its hardness and appearance. I like maple for the same reasons. I like rosewood for the ability to roll the fretboard edges without having to refinish, although that would apply to ebony as well. I have an '84 Ibanez Roadstar and a 2018 Ibby JS10 with ebony. used to have a '71 SG with a beutiful ebony board. I just like the look of the stuff and feel of it under my fingers.

20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I played on either ebony or rosewood for 40 yrs...put a maple neck on my Esquire. Feels and looks weird to me. Not bad, just really different. I'll see it out of the corner of my eye...just odd.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.