What's your favorite fan?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bparnell57, Aug 14, 2016.

1. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Well, like the title says!:

What's your favorite fan?

For air circulation that is.

I just yesterday was given a 1920's/early 30's Emerson "Built to Last" 12", 6-blade, 3-speed, automatic oscillating, desk fan, that I believe I will take with me to my new college apartment next month. Whew, that was a run-on.

It's not silent, not by a long shot, and weighs probably 30 pounds with its cast iron base and motor housing, but it moves a lot of air, and shows how quality matters (I'm an engineering student), and looks darn good doing it!

Just don't get your fingers near it... Metal blades with exactly 8 wire spokes preventing I guess your entire arm from going in sideways... Doh!

The guard was to protect the fan. Not your fingers haha.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1471149403.969523.jpg

2. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

That's got "Darwin Award" written all over it.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I just mounted a 40" 12 VDC ceiling fan in our living room. I painted the wood blades with an off black metalflake so that they would appear to be metal. It is 3 speed and reversible from a remote. Amazingly dead quiet. Made for us off gridders, but I guess the manufacturer knows that we are DIY people, because it turned into quite a project.

Ceiling fan 1.jpg

4. bparnell57

Very nice.

My only concern would be energy draw when on standby, given that it has a remote, but I'm sure you have it on a switch anyways...

5. Obsessed

Nice, most people don't have such great insight about phantom power consumption. Actually this fan is hard wired in with a battery operated remote that turns the fan on and off. No standby. I have an earlier version of this in our cabin that had a hard wired switch, but only one speed and no reverse. Unbelievably efficient and a fraction of power used compared to a traditional AC ceiling fan. 6 watts/hour at low speed compared to an average of 55 watts/hour for AC (some new ones are getting better though). Of course over a day these watts are huge ... 60 watts for 10 hours compared to 550. I do have switches for phantom powered items like displays, DVD players, computers and such. I have a very cool 12 VDC motion sensor that turns on an outside light that somehow only uses a few mws every few seconds and only at night.

6. bparnell57

Well, in order for the fan to turn on, doesn't it require a radio frequency or infrared receiver, to detect when the button is pressed on the remote?

And 6 watts is an impressive number.

This antique fan likely draws 100+ watts on high speed hahaha.

Explains why it sounds like a distant prop plane...

7. Obsessed

Good point. I never thought about it. Can't be too much power required for an infra red receiver sensor, but I will have to investigate. Living off of a truck alternator micro hydro plant, every watt saved is a watt for our amps (wife has S.S. bass amps). Fortunately, my switch box that I was going to use for the fan is still in the unsheetrocked stub wall. Thanks for the input and perfect timing for this thread.

8. bparnell57

Yep. Just giving out my thoughts!

Think about it. Even if it only takes 3 watts, over the course of an evening, that's easily 18-30 watts, allowing you to play your amp for another 15 minutes or so? If I recall you have a Champ 12 right?

9. bparnell57

Then again, if a fan that only uses 6 watts draws 3 watts when on standby, that would be absurd. It likely uses under a watt when on standby, especially if made for these purposes.

A longer wire run likely makes a bigger difference than putting the switch in.

10. Obsessed

Yep, Champ 12 (+ a Greta and now a VHT S6) and your math is exactly how I think. There is quite an add on box that they crammed into the fan head that has a large PCB, so I'm wondering if there is a soldered in battery a la lap tops that gets charged up when the fan is running? The sensor must be in the mws.

Well, sorry, I really hijacked your thread. I would love to see other fans out there too.

Carry on.

11. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

I use a 6" VORNADO in my music room.
    Whether listening to a stereo or playing acoustic guitar.
    It is quiet enough, not to drown out the music.

Steve

bparnell57 likes this.
  12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

my favorite fans are the cute female drunk ones

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think you're skirting the issue...

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

:p:p

william tele likes this.
  15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Gotta go with this one!

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There was one of those non-protected fans in the apartment I was living in back in 77. I think it was right around the time of Elvis's fatal bowel movement. The only room that had a window unit was the living room. Three of us were flopped on the floor with a fan like that blowing the window unit air on us and it was still probly 85 in there. That night we had consumed the normal things you would in the 70's, if you were twenty something and it was the weekend...so it was easy to go to sleep.

Anyway, I was closest to the fan which was by my head. At some point in the night I'd thrown my hand into the fan and just opened up my thumb something brutal. Kind of freaked me out but my friend John woke up just long enough to ask "You're not going to die are you?" I said "no" and he said "then go back to sleep". I grabbed my t-shirt off the floor and wrapped up my thumb.

Woke up the next day and went to the clinic for eight stitches...stupid fan.

17. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm a fan fan. My Emerson looks like yours. I also like my Westinghouse pedestal. I have cast iron Hunters all over the house. (the kind you put oil into)

Attached Files:

fendertx likes this.
  18. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Hunters in the game room, garage and even a really old one in the shed.

Attached Files:

bparnell57 likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife is the fan, fan. She pushed me to put six ceiling fans in when we moved here. Got to admit, they are handy to have though.

20. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

"I was living in back in 77. I think it was right around the time of Elvis's fatal bowel movement."
    We all have unique ways of marking a point in our past.
    Some things are just so special.

william tele and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.