What's your favorite distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tacomamc, Dec 21, 2015.

1. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

I think I'm the only one here that doesn't really like the sound of RAT... I tried BIG box, Made in U.S./ China... with LM308... I dunno how you guy can control the noise from these box. Tried it with hum/ single coils, Tele, strat.... it's either too mushy, noisy, trebly, no bass... sucks :neutral:

maybe it's just me...

2. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

Any of you Rat freaks try a Mooer Black Secret? I like mine, but have never compared it to the real Rat/Turbo Rats that it clones. Lots of different tones to be dialed in, tiny foot print and slices through any mix. Then there's the Catalinbread Katzenkinig. I don't have that one, but would give it a look since their Dirty Littke Secret mkIII is MY favorite distortion

3. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

You're not the only one.... There's two of us! I don't really hate the rat, but I had one and sold it. I'm borrowing another and still don't want one of my own, so I must not really like it either.

4. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I got tired of fixing the rat up to be better ... so I quit the rat pack too. but this isn't about the pedals I don't like so lets get back to it ... I like the riot, the supercharged overdrive, and the triple wreck. each have their own thing going on that is different enough to warrant listing three instead of a singular answer

5. micaiah

micaiah Tele-Meister

my favorite distortion is my Shedmaster clone

6. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Hah, my cheap Bad Monkey works just great.

7. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I'll go with my first distortion pedal. Miss Trailer Trash 1980, Boss DS-1 FTW!

sclitheroe likes this.
  8. Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk Tele-Meister

You probably know this, but there are videos on YouTube that compare the Black Secret to the Rat. I haven't done a direct comparison either, but I own an Eno (aka Andoer) TC-13 (aka DR-1S) Myomorpha, which looks a lot like the Black Secret, and may or may not use the same circuit. I like mine too; it covers a lot of ground, from low- to high-gain, and sounds great.

I used to have a '90's-era ProCo Rat, but it mysteriously disappeared years ago when some "friends" were helping me move... :(

9. Alaman

Alaman Tele-Meister

EXH Metal Muff

Have DS-1, ProCo Rat, Danelectro Fab Tone, Danelectro Black Licorice (cheap nasty distortion just for goofing around), and EHX Metal Muff.

My fav all around is the Metal Muff...I like it because of how versatile it is. The Fab Tone is always on my board. This one is a bit strange in that you can't move the Fab knob much past 9 o'clock or it gets crazy. But between 8 and 9 o'clock it is SWEET.

After seeing all this Rat talk, I'm going to have to pull mine out of the closet and give it another go. It's one of those must have pedals so I'll never get rid of it, just like my DS-1, but I fall in and out with it.

10. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

that sucks.
    I lost an original MXR Phase 90 that way.

11. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

RAT2 for higher gain, TS for OD, Soul Food for hair.

12. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

First time I tried it I hated it. Starting with the knobs at 12 o'clock it is quite possibly the worst sounding pedal ever made. I honestly bought mine so I could figure out why other people seem to like it so much. I'm not kidding. It was an educational purchase. What I learned was the thing sounds best with the distortion most the way down and the filter most the way to the right. Those are unintuitive settings. In this mode it sounds a lot like an OCD only the OCD is a much more complex sound. While a complex sound is great sometimes you just want something that cuts like crazy. That's the Rat. At least from my short term experience and I've really been enjoying it. And I will add that I can be an OD snob at times (not bragging). I own, among others, a Wampler Deluxe Plexi Drive, a Wampler Dual Fusion, a Wampler Clarksdale, a Fulltone OCD, a Fulltone Fulldrive, a Fulltone GT-500, a Fulltone Plimsoul, and a Tech 21 British. On the other hand one of my favorite pedals of all time is still a Boss SD-1 so what do I know?

13. allesz

allesz Tele-Meister

The SD1 is a great overdrive/distortion very flexible. A true proletarian dirt pedal.

The RAT is a great pedal, very flexible too, but it needs the right amp. A little bit more snob.

Of the recent distortion I tried lately my fave are the riot and the nano metal muff (one dirty snob , one dirty prolet).

My one (for this day/week/month/?) is a roktron blackjack: it just works with my rig, full eq, boost bonus....it was dirty cheap used.

14. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

I think the DS-1 and the Rat are the definitive, classic distortion pedals. They are also the originals, against which all distortion pedals that followed are compared.

I like them both (and own them both), but I have to give the edge to the DS-1. To my ears, and with my rig, it just provides a deeper, thicker, richer distortion tone.

15. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Marshall Guv'nor.

16. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Of the ones I own...Plimsoul

17. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The EHX Glove.

Just the most versatile distortion.

18. jep1210

jep1210 TDPRI Member

I've been eying a couple of Wampler distortions. The Pinnacle Deluxe, Triple Wreck and Dual Fusion. I like what I've been hearing in the MANY demos I've seen on line but have made a few mistakes to know those can be misleading.

I was able to get my hands on a Pinnacle (non deluxe i.e. without the foot switchable boost) at my local Sam Ash. I was really hoping to compare the three pedals but they only had the one on hand. :mad: But I digest. :p I thought the Pinnacle was a great sounding pedal and probably would have pulled the trigger if they had the Deluxe in stock and the other two weren’t in the picture. ;) It was very responsive in the EQ and the contour settings really let you dial in the sound you’re looking for. It was very powerful and could go anywhere from a mild(ish) bluesy sound to blazing distortion. I liked what I heard, but I’d still like to get my hands on the other two to try ‘em out.

I AM really leaning toward the Dual Fusion and I’m fighting the pedal acquisition fever until I can get my hands on one. Tom Quayle sure makes it sound good, but, sadly, I am no Tom Quayle.

So my point to all this? I guess I’m just kind of curious what anyone else’s opinion/experience/thoughts are on these three gems. Kind of hoping it makes the decision a little easier. :lol:

19. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Holic

Just realised I got hat wrong - Ronno used a Marshall Major head. Still love the SL drive though!

20. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Bogner Burnley

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.