1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's your favorite distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tacomamc, Dec 21, 2015.

1. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Tried a load and for me the Rat or the DS-1 work great. I also liked the Guv'nor II because it did sound like a Marshall but I didn't use it enough to hang on to it.

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Got these 2 years ago as my Xmas goodies, a new Lumpy on sale and HAO that I found used, $230 for both. Both landed on doorstep same Friday, was a fun weekend, bumping inputs a bit with VFE parametric yields all kinds of goodies, also stack a treble booster into them. Lemon is a brash and rude hard crunch, HAO just just superb plexi distortion. Honeymoon still not over, some best $$$ I ever spent on pedal breakup.

[​IMG]

3. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

ProCo Turbo Rat.

Everything from a bluesy grind to all-out, saturated, screaming, sustaining mayhem.

I'm actually considering adding a 2nd Rat (not the Turbo, for this one) to my board - just so I can have both the bluesy grind AND the screaming mayhem at the touch of 2 buttons.

4. thecornman

thecornman Tele-Meister

I am a big fan of the DS-2 myself, but the one that seems to be taking the distortion spot on my band board more often now is the DA-2! Yes it is digital and no I don't care. It just works so damn good with full voiced chords, big riffs and cutting solo's that I cant get enough of it. They really hit the mark on this one for me, but being as it is already discontinued I guess it did not go over well with others. Part of that is probably, because it is digital and many guitar players just cant accept that it might just sound good.

5. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

My favorite distortion pedal is still the Ibanez Tube Screamer. I've tried a bunch of others that have come out since, but I think the distortion the Tube Screamer gives me just sounds the best.

6. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Combination of amp drive and Plimsoul is my current nasty tone.

I do have a metal muff that qualifies as trailer trash fuzz metal distortion. But I haven't used it in a long time. I might get it out today and play with it.

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Right now:
    Xotic SL Drive
    ZVex Fuzzolo - insane sounding fuzz
    Basic Audio Zippy -- insane sounding fuzz that is more controllable than the above.

Sorry, but fuzz is distortion.

8. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Rat.

9. Post-HK

Post-HK Tele-Meister

Turbo RAT, my current favorite. I really like the dynamics (less compressed) & how it responds to pick attack, it's got the right feel for me. I set it so that it cleans up a lot with the guitar volume backed off, getting some nice chimey tonal character. Then when I dig in hard or increase the guitar volume I get that hot distorted sizzle.

10. frown

frown TDPRI Member

Carl Martin DC Drive for me.

11. peavey30

peavey30 Tele-Meister

Proco Rat works very well with a Vox AC15C1 and a LP.

12. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

I am more of an overdrive fanatic but have a few distortion pedals. I have three that are tied for favorite depending on the situation. I found that distortions that work great with one amp will sound like garbage with the next. So I have three that get used regularly. Sorry, I know you asked for "favorite" but it's too hard to reduce to one.

The Fulltone GT500. It has adjustable tone controls and a boost as well. Very usable pedal. Picky about the power supply. Otherwise great pedal.

Fulltone Plimsoul. Another highly configurable and really great pedal.

T.C. MojoMojo pedal. I picked it up on an impulse. It was inexpensive and TC has a good rep. I Looked it up on the web before I had the chance to try it and was worried because reviews weren't very good. Personally I think it is a great distortion pedal. Fat as can be but doesn't hide your playing. In one band the other guitarist has a lot of top end fuzz going on. I use this pedal because it is darker and sits nicely under his guitar.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  13. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

The (fairly) new MI Audio Super Crunch Box does the 80s modded Marshall thing and sounds great.

leonard d rock likes this.
  14. mattyboy

mattyboy Tele-Meister

MI Audio Crunch Box V.3 does the job for me. Rat is a close second.

15. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Here are my three favorite DISTORTION boxes:
    Bogner Ecstacy Blue
    Suhr Riot
    Lovepedal Purple Plexi

16. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

FDD is good, I just wish sometimes it had just a bit more gain - it's very polite. The EQ controls are fantastic.

17. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

+1

I started out with a Rat, tried a lot of different dirt boxes, keep coming back to the Rat. Hanging out here motivated me twist the knobs on it more, which was a revelation.

18. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

I think I'm the only one here who digs a Visual Sound Jeckyl & Hyde Dirt?!

I have the Son Of Hyde distortion in my small board and the old V1 flat face J&H!! I love that it can very raw but with a few tweaks, can also be compressed!

Another excellent pedal is the legendary Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive!! Instant Marshall Van Halen-ish soun!!!!!!

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

valvestate, I wish I could dig the "Hyde" side of my VS J&H more, because the "Jekyll" side is to me the best pedal OD sound I've ever heard.

Can I ask what settings you use on your Hyde?

20. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Couldn't have put it better myself. +1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.