Whats your fav Pbass pickup?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by teleforumnoob, May 14, 2013.

1. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

What is your favorite aftermarket Pbass pickup?
    Gonna put a Pbass together with a GFS pawlonia body and neck from Stew Mac(MM). Due to the hollowbody-like tonal qualities of pawlonia I wanted to try a Darkstar, but seems the guy is out of commission and they dont seem readily available.

So I'll stick with a standard Pbass pickup.

Considering:
    1. Golden Age(Stew MAc) $54.95
    2. GFS, Overwound 16k or Vintage 10.4k $32.95
    3. Wylde. Love Bills guitar pickups, think it would be worth $60 and the wait?

If anyone has used these or another brand I would appreciate your comments.
    Thanks

2. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

My favorite aftermarket P pickup is the Rockinger PEE-BASS Pickup for €57 ...
    http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG101&product=0713S&sid3=50a76c21e9d3916bbb58416085636512

Don't know if they send from Germany to the USA?
    And the strong Euro (even if 90% of the Europeans think it's weak) makes it more expensive ...

The Rockinger PEE-BASS pickup has been sold for more than 30 years. The man who now stands for Duesenberg basses and guitars once "invented" it; "Atze Rockinger" / "Dieter Gölsdorf" ...

This is a perfect copy of an early 60s P PU.
    Not hot, not strong, not extra XYZ - just a perfect copy of the old Fender sound ...

3. teleforumnoob

I think Im gonna go with Bill and Becky. Found a multi page thread on Talkbass in which everyone whos tried em raves about Bills P46. Only a few dollars more than Stew Macs Golden Age. I know he winds my fav tele pickups. So a little confirmation on the P46 was all I needed to hear.

4. Immo

Immo Tele-Holic

Out of your list, but I'll mention my two favorites as you ask about that in the thread title.

Passive - Ibanez Blazer Bass split coil PU.
    LOADS of output, MASSIVE sound, a real hardrocker. Available only in aftermarket, should give a kick to any axe out there.

Active - Seymour Duncan APB-2 "Lightnin' Rod".
    That vintage P-bass vibe, but with better response. No noticeable battery drain, no soulless sterility - you'd forget it's an active PU.

5. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

I have an old 1978 DiMarzio model "P" in my 70's P bass, it's a loud crunchy rock and roll machine, and... it cleans up kinda nicely with the volume control.
    the only problem is that it's sort of a dingy beige

6. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Along with many others over the years, I like standard Fender P-bass pickups just fine.

7. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Of your 3 choices I'd go with the Wilde P-46 + a Q-filter. I would have gone with one myself but find dealing with B&B a bit too flaky, for me [no returned emails, etc.]. Too bad too. As I think that Bill is the Maestro of them all.

BTW - FWIW I went with a D. Allen CSP 1088. Haven't put it in yet but dealing with David was a seamless experience , which is important when you're ordering stuff overseas.

8. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

why, my own, of course. :cool:

i prefer a deeper tone, with enhanced mid-range, and wind accordingly.

9. willpayne

willpayne TDPRI Member

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Bartolini. That's what I use and I have never played a better sounding pickup.

10. 4mal

4mal Friend of Leo's

Vintage Vibe, slight over wind, Alnico V magnets. Sounds old, swampy, makes me want to get my George porter Jr on with some Cissy strut..

The Lawrence is ok. Very quiet, kinda bright, punchy. More modern sounding than I care for.

Duncan Spb-1 is real good for the old funky sound if you can find one.

The DarkStar is amazingly good but they are un-obtanium at the moment.

I hear good things about the Lakland/Hanson pickup. Neo-punch I think they call it. Haven't been able to play about with one though. The neodynium stuff is interesting as it allows the designer to get more power under the hood, while retaining a balance between the mag's and the coil. At least in theory you should be able to get more output and a broader frequency response - what folks liked about the DarkStar, while staying in the original form factor. The form factor was what put some folks off the Dark Star... I haven't had the chance to play with one yet but the possibilities are pretty cool

The el cheapo stuff tends to vary in quality, a lot... Personally I don't have the time to waste on someone else QA effort...

11. Cuauhtemoc

Cuauhtemoc Tele-Meister

I like the stock pickups, but I really want to try the Fender '62s. All the clips I've heard have indicated some full, chunky tones.

12. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I've been using Peter Florance VooDoo P-Bass pickups for the last several years, and am very pleased.

A completely different suggestion, though, the absolutely best pickup I've had in a bass is the GFS alnico Music Man copy. Really just a profoundly great-sounding pickup, deep and rich and full. And cheap!

Tim

13. teleforumnoob

My pickup ordering from Wylde was pretty seamless. Agree they dont email you regularly, but after one email conversation w Becky, I put my check in the mail and they showed up in about 3 1/2 weeks.

I want to ask about the Q filter. After reading everything I can about it, I still dont understand what it does exactly. Soundwise I mean. I really dont understand all the enginering jargon. Bills wiring diagrams just confuse me. I cant tell where Id connect the thing if I ordered it or how I would use it.
    Is it some kind of super/varible capacitor?
    Does it just replace the tone cap, or is it an addition to the circuit?
    Is it something thats permantly wired into the circuit or something you switch in and out?
    What does it do to the sound, as opposed to reg old Fender Pbass wiring?

My experience with Bills pickups (TL48/L45S rail combo in a tele) is that they are very transparent and respond better than any other pickups I've ever used to the tone control, making the tone control extremely useful. However I was advised I really didnt need a Q filter with these pickups so I didnt bother to learn more.

14. teleforumnoob

I looked at those. Seems like it would fit in the GFS unfinished pawlonia body, the pic shows a big route.
    [​IMG]
    But is the standard Pbass pickup location the optimum spot to place it?
    Did you locate a custom pickguard or did you cut/alter a standard Pbass pickguard to fit it?
    What size pots and caps did you use?

15. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Yep, put it approximately where you'd put a regular P-Bass pickup. I actually put it on a custom build using a Telecaster guitar body, using an Esquire pickguard, so I didn't have to cut the pickguard at all. Off the top of my head, i don't remember what pots I used, either 250 or 500, but really, I don't worry too much about that, after all I have a tone pot to tweak it back down, right?

;)

[​IMG]

Tim

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 on the VooDoo. I have one in the P-Bass I got from Tim. Can you say "Donald "Duck" Dunn?"

17. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

$170??

Alright, how about a reasonably priced (I know that is subjective) vintage-style split-P to replace the Super P4 in my 1983 Ibanez Roadstar (recently brought back from the brink of oblivion)?

I have one of Rob D's Cavalier Lion Esquire pu's in a homebrew tele. I love it. I think he will be getting some more of my business (unless he suddenly jacks his price up to $170!).

Rob, what if I sent you the old P4 for an overhaul?

18. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

can do as long as the p4 is of reasonable build and can be stripped.

19. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

^100% this! the bass player in my band has an old model p that sounds amazing all the time. i dont think that guy has ever had bad tone from it. he was fortunate enough to get the black one though haha

that pickup made me a dimarzio fan... and the twang king cemented that love. prior to that, i had always written them off as metalhead pickups... which is not the case at all

20. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

And I'd agree. There may be a few PBass pickups that are it's equal but none are better for the money than a Wilde P46. Very much like his Keystones the clarity and punch are superior. The J45s are a great Jazz Bass set too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.