What's Your Dream Guitar?

suthol

Friend of Leo's
Without question, this one, if I only sat in my chair on the front porch with it in my lap and showed it off, it would be worth having to me. It's only the $7,000 or so that separates me from realizing my dream guitar.

View attachment 985531
Nice.

Definitely unobtanium over here so I built a Tuff Dog tribute, because Merle :cool:

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
I know the first is a PRS. Not sure about the second. Both are beautiful instruments.
It’s a Music Man Majesty, John Petrucci’s signature guitar. I didn’t want to part with it but I got out of it what I paid for it when I really needed the money.

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
Washburn Falcon/wing series (random interweb pic)

falcon.jpg

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I guess it depends on what you mean by dream guitar.

What is a guitar I would love to own (but don't) but might buy if I decide to overspend?

An older (as old as I can afford) ES-175 with two humbuckers. Or even better a Byrdland if I was flush at the time.

What is a guitar I dream about owning that I will never own?

Clapton's Bluesbreaker Les Paul
Clapton's "The Fool" SG

What is my modern "dream guitar" that meets all my requirements - essentially my "signature model"?

I'm kind of closing in on it with my Jeff Beck Sig Strat. I'm not a huge Strat guy, but this might be the one. I want something that is half Tele and half Strat.

Fat 60s neck, rounded heel for easier upper fret access

Modern two point trem, rolling nut, locking tuners

Clapton wiring incl booster and TBX

Swapped the wiring on the bridge and middle PUs so I can get the Tele middle position. I can switch thru neck - neck/bridge - bridge - middle/bridge - middle. That's about right for me as I will will be in the first three positions 97.8% of the time. Maybe more.

Currently has Fender 50s PUs, can't remember the exact model, they are OK-ish, but just ordered a SD Twang Banger bridge PU for a more Tele bridge PU sound. The neck PU may also go, we'll see. I want it to sound like a Tele as much as I can without the traditional Tele bridge.

So the only definite improvements would be nitro finish on everything. A possible improvement are the PUs, which I'm still deciding. I might get one of those fancy trem blocks that holds the bar more firmly; I truly hate the bar slop that is inherent to the Fender trem.

The Clapton wiring is - to me - a quantum leap over the standard wiring. Now the tone knob actually does something useful and the mid-booster adds nothing but goodness to the equation even if you *never* touch the boost knob. Also, I have to admit that my name is Ivan, I am a wang bar addict. The Beck strat will let me go full EVH and it just stays in tune. I love it. Also, it's white on white with a dark fretboard, which is my favorite color scheme.

If the Beck neck came with a large headstock and no signature, it would be absolutely perfect.

I need a fresher pic, this is when I first got it. That said, the visual has not changed very much at all. The only difference is there are no 'aged' white parts at all these days.

jeff beck strat.jpg

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
The guitar I always coveted but will never own is a Gretsch White Falcon. They should be everything I hate about guitars - flashy, over the top with loads of bling, but there’s just something about them I like.

Trouble is I have no real use for such a beast and certainly can’t justify the £2.5k they cost so unless I win the lottery and have unlimited cash and unlimited space it’ll stay a dirty dream.

msalama

Tele-Holic
Call me all kinds of names under the sun if you must, but I genuinely like these abominations. But hey, at least my dream is realizable, and I am going to get one soon. Has to be all original though, no player grade this time because I already have a good MIM Deluxe for banging around:

70s_Deluxe.jpg

EDIT: Typo

Last edited:

Old Smokey

Tele-Meister
Martin 0-15
Gibson 54 Black Beauty
Gretsch Tennessee Rose G6119T-DS

I’d like the Martin to be vintage, but the electrics can be reissues. That Gretsch doesn’t really exist as a production model— basically I want a Duane Eddy country gent with a thinner body (and not orange). 53VS Duo Jet would also work.

Last edited:

Northern Born

Tele-Meister
I guess it depends on what you mean by dream guitar.

What is a guitar I would love to own (but don't) but might buy if I decide to overspend?

An older (as old as I can afford) ES-175 with two humbuckers. Or even better a Byrdland if I was flush at the time.

What is a guitar I dream about owning that I will never own?

Clapton's Bluesbreaker Les Paul
Clapton's "The Fool" SG

What is my modern "dream guitar" that meets all my requirements - essentially my "signature model"?

I'm kind of closing in on it with my Jeff Beck Sig Strat. I'm not a huge Strat guy, but this might be the one. I want something that is half Tele and half Strat.

Fat 60s neck, rounded heel for easier upper fret access

Modern two point trem, rolling nut, locking tuners

Clapton wiring incl booster and TBX

Swapped the wiring on the bridge and middle PUs so I can get the Tele middle position. I can switch thru neck - neck/bridge - bridge - middle/bridge - middle. That's about right for me as I will will be in the first three positions 97.8% of the time. Maybe more.

Currently has Fender 50s PUs, can't remember the exact model, they are OK-ish, but just ordered a SD Twang Banger bridge PU for a more Tele bridge PU sound. The neck PU may also go, we'll see. I want it to sound like a Tele as much as I can without the traditional Tele bridge.

So the only definite improvements would be nitro finish on everything. A possible improvement are the PUs, which I'm still deciding. I might get one of those fancy trem blocks that holds the bar more firmly; I truly hate the bar slop that is inherent to the Fender trem.

The Clapton wiring is - to me - a quantum leap over the standard wiring. Now the tone knob actually does something useful and the mid-booster adds nothing but goodness to the equation even if you *never* touch the boost knob. Also, I have to admit that my name is Ivan, I am a wang bar addict. The Beck strat will let me go full EVH and it just stays in tune. I love it. Also, it's white on white with a dark fretboard, which is my favorite color scheme.

If the Beck neck came with a large headstock and no signature, it would be absolutely perfect.

I need a fresher pic, this is when I first got it. That said, the visual has not changed very much at all. The only difference is there are no 'aged' white parts at all these days.

View attachment 985604
Very nice.

Northern Born

Tele-Meister
The guitar I always coveted but will never own is a Gretsch White Falcon. They should be everything I hate about guitars - flashy, over the top with loads of bling, but there’s just something about them I like.

Trouble is I have no real use for such a beast and certainly can’t justify the £2.5k they cost so unless I win the lottery and have unlimited cash and unlimited space it’ll stay a dirty dream.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Northern Born

Tele-Meister
Call me all kinds of names under the sun if you must, but I genuinely like these abominations. But hey, at least my dream is realizable, and I am going to get one soon. Has to be all original though, no player grade this time because I already have a good MIM Deluxe for banging aroud:

At the moment if I imagine winning a Lottery and going to a big guitar shop to buy anything I want, what pops into my mind is one of those well made custom shop sunburst Gibson LPs.
Since the 1970s a 'real' Les Paul has been one of those unobtainable things 'if only I had the money...'

View attachment 985622
Can't go wrong with Gibson.