What's your budget?

blueruins

Tele-Meister
Before kids I spent whatever I wanted and bought the best of the best.

Other than my family, gear is my one real expense. I rarely drink, don’t golf, don’t drive anything expensive, no video games, don’t watch TV, etc…

I play every day that it’s practical and have for 40 years. It’s who I am and what I do. You wouldn’t know it from my playing but there it is.

My wife has come to respect over the years that she has it better than most. We don’t make big bucks but we have enough where she doesn’t have to work for us to eat. I’m home every night and when I have time off I spend it with my wife and kids. My wife is my best friend and we go on lots of day trips and a couple/three decent vacations each year. We don’t buy our kids much ‘stuff’ we spend time with them.

Like I said, I used to buy the best.

A few years ago we went through some hard times and I had to sell my expensive guitars just to eat. I was down one $200 Electromatic Pro Jet, A Taylor acoustic and a Fender Champ.

This is fine.

Actually it was fine. The day I added a Squier CV Telecaster was the day that my obsession with expensive electric guitars ended. I still love them but haven’t spent more than $500 since.

No object is as beautiful in my world as a guitar…I ain’t done buying. After a lifetime of stalking, I know the market value on what I love. When I find an unbeatable bargain I strike.

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
I don't have a budget.
When I want something, if I haven't got enough money, I save up until I do. That applies to everything I buy.
The only things that have to be budgeted for are bills and food. There must always be money there for those.

Teletubbie

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
Being a multi-millionaire it's not a problem for me.
Yeah, I wish.
Budget is what's left after all commitments are dealt with I suppose but I don't spend anywhere near that amount.

After years of buying and selling some fairly high end gear, I've come to the conclusion that I can be perfectly happy with 2nd hand gear that's of good quality. If I could only ever own a bunch of used Classic Players I'd be good. Hence the love for my Baja Tele and CP 60's Strat. Same applies to amps really, I have a few but could pare down to Marshall Origin 20c and Vox Pathfinder 15R [both bought used] with no problem at all.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
The buying is pretty impulsive, for sure. But the budget tends to be around $1500-2000.

I have to be comfortable bringing it to a gig, and once it goes over $2000 I get a little hesitant with that. I’ve only exceeded $2000 with one guitar in my buying history. Typically I can find something I really want and that is amazing for under $2000.

I’ve been buying gear on credit for about 15 years now. And $2000 also is around the amount I’m typically comfortable with financing and pay it off within a year.