What's your budget?

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
Don't need amps or guitars, got the ones I love and sold the rest. Pedals and accessories are it for me. Pedal budget is $150 or less.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
I have no budget. There is nothing I need. If someone needs money and tries to sell me a toy I make my offer. They can take it or leave it.

DugT

Tele-Afflicted
I have no budget. There is nothing I need. If someone needs money and tries to sell me a toy I make my offer. They can take it or leave it.
Me too. I am very money oriented (borderline obsessive) and because of it, I have more than enough money. Several times I have calculated a budget but I never spend that much so a budget is a waste of time for me. Occasionally I think of something I could buy to improve my quality of life and I buy it.
Here are some of my favorite things.

Good friends and relatives.
A house on a lake with beautiful views of the lake and nearby mountains.
Corvette
One guitar, Helix, stereo monitors.
Mt bike
7 pairs of snow skis.
Silicon spatula (very burn resistant)
Big OLED TV and surround sound speakers.
Fast computer for video games.

I believe that being grateful for what you have is important for happiness. That is easy for me and maybe that keeps me from wanting more.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
Got all the guitars and amps I need, but I still like buying pedals. I don't spend more than $100 for one, and there a lot of good ones in that price range and less. Simplicity is also important for me with 3-4 knobs tops. Just picked up a Donner Dark Mouse, and I'm blown away by it.
www.N1M.com/dikellis

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
How do you set your budget for buying guitars and amps (and other gear)? Do you go by what disposable income you have at the moment, by percentage of your income, your age, how severe your wife's frown is, price of milk, wind speed today... what's the thought process or the calculation involved? Or do you just buy them impulsively?
I sorta have had to take matters into my own hands without getting served divorce papers. I’ll just say, I’ve made some pretty big purchases based solely on the fact that for many years my bonuses and stock options have gone to daycare and other necessities. Rightly so, but I’ve exercised the “It’s my turn” option to the chagrin of my wife. Being in the doghouse was worth it though.

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
It has to be paid for in cash, with gig money.

This worked out well in the late '90s when I was working a full-time day job, as well as playing in a popular cover band that gigged 6-8x/month, and also giving me an extra $100/gig for providing the PA. I kind of went on a gear rampage.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I used to feed a christmas-club account automatically taken from my paycheck, etc. Now it is just my std. savings acct., and being retired, it is stagnant until Sept of 2023 when Soc. Sec. kicks in. So currently I'm stuck selling off or negotiating for funds from the CFO.

For instance, I recently sold my Concertina, that will buy a nice Sawstop table saw...

Thankfully, I did most of my instrument buying when I was employed. Unless something very special comes along, I'll build it myself.

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
If I see something I want, I check and see if I've got the money on hand. If I do, I buy it. If the money's not there I don't.

Luckily I'm pretty well set for big ticket stuff like guitars or amps so there's not a whole lot of temptation there these days. I will admit that I drop more money on plugins and software for my studio than physical gear, but compared to buying a nice guitar or amp, that's pocket change.

- D

Last edited:

Pickingthru

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Budget? How do you budget an impulse buy? I try to budget BUT when GAS takes over, look out. Two of my current three were impulse buys for certain. Glad I like them. My fifth wheel can't handle any more guitars or equipment.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I buy what I want to play. If I can’t afford it, I come up with a plan to get me there. I honestly don’t put much thought into what it costs other than to figure out when/how to buy it. I have personal ceilings. I can’t see myself spending $10k for a guitar. Or even $5k. But that could change at some point.

I used to say I’d never spend $2k, but that’s what the guitars I used to buy for $600-$700 cost now. Stuff happens. Guitars that cost $600-$700 brand new these days are not guitars I enjoy playing or owning. So I pay what I need to get stuff I really enjoy.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
TLDR- 7% of net assuming that I can always put 15% minimum (30% a few times in my life) of gross into savings (stocks/IRA) annually.

Last edited: