What's your budget?

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
It's a per purchase decision based on a number of factors.

I just bought one of these:

Daking.jpg

It's a Daking mic preamp/eq, based on the old Trident A-Range. I'd been thinking about picking one up for years, but hadn't had any use for it in the last 2 years because of The Thing We Can't Talk About. I just found out they'd been discontinued, and found a used one for a decent price. I normally scrounge for bargains, but these were always semi-rare and I figured once word got out they weren't available new anymore, they'd be even harder to find. So, I bought it. It wasn't on the top of my GAS list and it wasn't cheap, but as part of a long-term gear acquisition strategy it made sense, and nobody's going to be eating Ramen or going without shoes because of it.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
I’ve bought things in the past and really upset my wife. Luckily I learned my lesson, and we discuss everything now. :)

For a while (2017-2021) I was in paying cover bands (on bass) so that money covered any GAS/actual needs that popped up.

Now I’m transitioning out of gigging, focusing on electric guitar. I’ve used my reserves and traded some gear to get whatever I’ve wanted so far. Any accessories under $100 she doesn’t bat an eye. But I’m pretty reasonable and don’t buy a ton. If I really needed something (say, a bigger amp for a band) I’m sure I’d get the green light.

I did find this bad boy for $40, so I just had to buy it! 😁

Thread 'NGD: Thrift Store Peavey!'
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-thrift-store-peavey.1102442/

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
I think about this from time to time. My first guitar cost me, effectively, two weeks wages of the weekend job I had when I was 16. My first "proper" guitar - still have it; archtop semi - cost me almost exactly 2 weeks' pay of the full-time job I had as a petrol station attendant when I was 21. My first solid body - still have that too; rosewood Tele - cost me about a month's wages of my job as a motorcycle despatch rider when I was 25, though it was aided somewhat by an insurance payout from an accident (see above, under motorcycle despatch rider!)

I went back to university as a mature student when I was 29 and nowadays am a professional with a good income. Two weeks' pay on a guitar these days would feel like a really excessive indulgence. But why? I'd be putting the same amount of time, effectively, into it as I put into the early ones I bought.

Of course, back then, each of those three I've mentioned were a major purchase, and a major step forward for me as a musician. Nowadays I've got 15 of the things, half a dozen amps, and a new guitar is entirely unnecessary. (Don't ever tell my wife I said that!!)

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
I’ve bought things in the past and really upset my wife. Luckily I learned my lesson, and we discuss everything now. :)

For a while (2017-2021) I was in paying cover bands (on bass) so that money covered any GAS/actual needs that popped up.

Now I’m transitioning out of gigging, focusing on electric guitar. I’ve used my reserves and traded some gear to get whatever I’ve wanted so far. Any accessories under $100 she doesn’t bat an eye. But I’m pretty reasonable and don’t buy a ton. If I really needed something (say, a bigger amp for a band) I’m sure I’d get the green light.

I did find this bad boy for $40, so I just had to buy it! 😁

Thread 'NGD: Thrift Store Peavey!'
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-thrift-store-peavey.1102442/
Just checked out your Peavey thread. Result! Well done! :)

Chikubi

Tele-Meister
I just buy what I want. As long as the house, etc. is paid for, then no reason not to. I typically try to recycle money and I don't buy tons of stuff anyway - I only have one guitar and a new one typically replaces the old. No problem with having another if it's something unique like a 12 string, but otherwise I generally play what I consider is the best guitar and it only gets replaced if I find something better. I also don't buy used and have no problem spending a couple grand if I think it's worth it, which it usually is. That said, my current guitar was $400, so I'm not opposed to the cheaper side of things either if they're worth it. Same goes for amps and such.

I also have other hobbies as well, so guitar stuff often gets put on hold for them when there's things I want there.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
Larger than I thought, since I came across this haul at the weekend. In the summer of 77 I worked at the paint can factory, where they produced these Jubilee souvenirs for staff and customers.

IMG_20220606_202648780.jpg

And inside a collection of tanners (sixpence pieces, 2.5p) and some notes too, a couple of Irish Punt and French Francs.
Given that our government has decided that the principal benefit of leaving the European Union is to abandon metric measures replacing them with pints, pounds and ounces,. It's only a matter of time before they adopt pounds, shillings and pence. Maybe they will even accept outdated foreign currencies too.

IMG_20220606_202928425.jpg
IMG_20220606_202853932.jpg

Spox

Tele-Meister
I never bought anything which I did not have the money sitting there to be spent on it. The recent purchase of a 70s SG was completely new territory for me, three and a half times my previous maximum budget. It was purchased in a cash only shop though and from my savings when I realised that the way the housing bubble is going saving enough to purchase a property in the areas I want just isn't going to happen and the SG was a reaction to this realisation.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
How do you set your budget for buying guitars and amps (and other gear)? Do you go by what disposable income you have at the moment, by percentage of your income, your age, how severe your wife's frown is, price of milk, wind speed today... what's the thought process or the calculation involved? Or do you just buy them impulsively?

I've agreed to a strict budget with the person who manages my money. While there's a lot of gear I prefer that is older, when I find new stuff I like I absolutely love those no interest payment plans. It's never because I don't have enough money, but it helps me stick to the plan. And if I've got a cash pot from that budget waiting for the right old amp or guitar to come along, I don't have to blow it when I need a microphone or compressor, or something mundane like a new fender.

MTPoteet

Tele-Holic
Right now it's zero.

I ussually just surf the ads looking for nothing in particular, if I see something that I believe is a pretty good deal, I may act on it.

If not, I don't. Simple as that.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I’ve got the money for a new LP that I want. It’s not really a budget but a fortunate screwup by my accountant. I get a refund (never do, roll into next years taxes) that was sizable and I was concerned about cashing the check.

Three hours on the phone between my accountant and the IRS it is determined I did make a double payment and I could deposit the check.

It’s been sitting in my “rainy day account” waiting for the LP to show up.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I rarely get GAS. I decide what I want. I decide when I want to purchase it. I decide how much I can justify spending (much less than what is available). I tell my wife.

She tells me to get what I want, and quit being so cheap. She tells me I work hard and deserve something nice. She reminds me I really don't spend much and don't have many outlets from work.

I reassess my budget, and find something nice. I purchase it. I keep it for a long time.

My wife is happy for me. The credit card bill comes in, it gets paid in full, finances are not affected.

I have bought three guitars since we were married in 1990, and she bought me one. I have only purchased two this century. I still feel guilty about spending money for a hobby I just cannot seem to spend as much time as I'd like with. I really should be a better player by now.

Rinse. Repeat.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
In seriousness, I don't have expensive guitars for the same reason I don't have a track-focused sportscar like a GT4... most of the "extra" capabilities would be lost on someone of my meager (and presently amateur) talents, and it's money I should be putting into my retirement savings.

I'm trying to get better as a player, I don't have any designs on playing live soon, I don't know what the point would be (for me) of something north of a grand or so. My most expensive guitar cost $1050 in 2020, I put another $200 into it (just Jaguar things) and still don't like it.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
I am now in a position where I financially good, but after years of not being and making the best of lower price guitars I still don't go the top, probably be a very good guitar for me to buy anything above Vintera range or player plus.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a stash. Gig money and from deals/trades. My bank account is healthy enough but I very seldom buy new amps, or instruments; cash is still king, in many bargaining situations.

There's a flexible list, in my head, of things I'd like to acquire-old amps and specific guitars, mainly. On the rare occasions those things become available......sometimes I jump and sometimes I ponder. I have everything I need, so there's no pressure, to fill some gaping void in my collection.

In the years before I retired from work, in 2017, I stocked up, on stuff I thought I'd need, to carry on playing and performing. I may have over-done it.......:lol:

Most of my gear is worth a fair bit more than I paid, originally and some would be un-economic, to replace, new-for-old. I have never discussed a music purchase, with my wife and never criticise her uses of discretionary income. We live quite a simple, modest life, in a rural backwater, without the regular outgoings and status symbol purchases, which some folks consider essential.

If I lost all my music gear, I could probably put together a set of gigging tools in a week, from the second hand listings, online. Even the Good Stuff is just stuff- a means, to the end, of playing music.