What's your budget?

BrettFuzz

Tele-Meister
How do you set your budget for buying guitars and amps (and other gear)? Do you go by what disposable income you have at the moment, by percentage of your income, your age, how severe your wife's frown is, price of milk, wind speed today... what's the thought process or the calculation involved? Or do you just buy them impulsively?

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
In the past it's been impulsive. Not so much these days.

My wife and I have a "rule" we're both good with - Any money I've already spent is considered "music money". So for example, if I sell a Les Paul for $2000, I can then spend that $2000 on more music gear. It's like a pot.

As for new purchases outside of this, I can make purchases as long as it's not taking money away from more pressing things we need such as car repairs, house stuff, etc.

Rocky058

Tele-Afflicted
1654691299593.png

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
I don’t set my range by the amount of available money. I would be a bargain chaser if I were a millionaire. It’s about what you get pride/joy in.

I like having cheap to mid range instruments set up exactly how I like them. The one guitar I paid nearly 1k for, sits in its case.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
I don’t set my range by the amount of available money. I would be a bargain chaser if I were a millionaire. It’s about what you get pride/joy in.

I like having cheap to mid range instruments set up exactly how I like them. The one guitar I paid nearly 1k for, sits in its case.

Hmm, I'm kinda the opposite. I like having expensive guitars that I play the crap out of and never put them back in their cases.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Only use disposable cash, or accumulated, or trades + cash. (If I ever have any $$)
Best deals. 90% of the time only used after yrs of research pros and cons.
Tone...Do I already have (that) tone.. Do I need that tone.
Will I hang it and not play it. decisions.decisions.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I never have a lot of $$, though I did spend a lot ( for me ) on gear in 2020, as I actually had some 'disposable income'

( now in hindsight, should have held onto some $$- things would be better for us, now, w/gas prices and inflation...)

But when I do have $$, I have a $500 limit on guitars or amps and $100 on pedals or whatever...no financing either.

I have really good player/gig gear under those restrictions, so will just stick to that!

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
We have a monthly budget with a "name" on every penny. Some of those "pennies" go to discretionary funds for Mrs and myself (separately)...call it an allowance if that is easier for you. The discretionary funds come off the bottom of the budget, so nothing else in the household is impacted.

We ONLY pay cash...no financing allowed. We spend the discretionary funds any way we want. If the monthly discretionary funds are not spent down, they roll over and begin to add up (pretty quickly). That said, my "budget" is whatever happens to be in my fund.

When we started doing this, we found that money was no longer one of our problems.

kuch

Tele-Holic
How do you set your budget for buying guitars and amps (and other gear)? Do you go by what disposable income you have at the moment, by percentage of your income, your age, how severe your wife's frown is, price of milk, wind speed today... what's the thought process or the calculation involved? Or do you just buy them impulsively?
If I really want something, I usually get it. My wife's reaction is "nice guitar". Ho hum.... I do my research and won't pay more for something that I can't recover if I decide to sell in the future. I pretty much have what I want and might change up the mix if I find something better to replace something I already have. I too am blessed....