What's Your Back Up Acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by mistermullens, Aug 26, 2013.

1. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Well, my only acoustic, and the one I use for gigs is giving me a bit of trouble. It's a Takamine EC530SC (I think) with the TK-40 preamp. Sometimes when I play it plugged in, it gets this tremolo type effect going through the speaker. Don't get me wrong, I love tremolo, but it's no good mid song. I've got some wires to check still, so more on that if need be.

It never occurred to me that needing a back up option for acoustic would come up, but it has. My new band does a little bit of everything, and we're also selling ourselves as being able to do acoustic shows. I'm also planing to venture out and do some solo/duo stuff as well.

I'm very pleased with the Takamine's sound when plugged in. It's got one of the best amplified acoustic sounds. I'm looking for something that sounds great and a good price like my Tak. Got mine for just under $500. I'd also be interested in a different body style as well. I'd do a dreadnaught again without any reservations, but if I found something in the OM area, that would be cool too.

What are you're suggestions?

2. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

It's unorthodox, but my main "acoustic" to play live (through a PA) is my Epiphone SST Chet Atkins model. Here's one for cheap on eBay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-sst-Chet-Atkins-/251323958852?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a84134644

It's a solidbody acoustic, good only for amplified playing. That said, its action feels much like an electric--even with medium acoustic strings. Mine's a cherryburst. I love it and would replace it in a heartbeat.

Here's mine (the soundhole's fake):

[​IMG]

3. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Currently my main and only acoustic is a Taylor Big Baby, it will become my backup soon...

4. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't play enough acoustic during our set to require a back-up;I just figure I'd go to my electric if I needed to. That said if I did need a backup for my EF341SC, I'd probably go with a Seagull, a Crafter or a Walden - all seem to give you a lot for the money.

5. NastyMojo

NastyMojo Tele-Afflicted

I don't even have an acoustic, unless my Telecaster unplugged counts ;) haha

6. plroad21

plroad21 Tele-Meister

Intend to carry a backup for everything, in case a battery dies or a string breaks. If I was in your shoes, I'd check out some of The Loar models and stick a Baggs M1 in there.

7. mistermullens

Funny you should mention the Baggs. I have considered just bringing one of those for back up in case my electronics go out.

8. Ricardo Moraes

Ricardo Moraes Tele-Meister

A Taylor NS.

9. sparkletele123

sparkletele123 Tele-Meister

I currently use a Fender Kingman.

10. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Lots of good buys on old Ovations out there. Lots of Taks too.

11. plroad21

plroad21 Tele-Meister

Just go ahead and take the old ones out and put in the Baggs. That's what you'll do once you experience it anyway. ;). Seriously, I stopped using any other pickup and put M1s in every acoustic I own...

12. plroad21

plroad21 Tele-Meister

Also, there are some great deals on 70s Guilds out there that will slay anything in a remotely similar price range.

13. mistermullens

Are you using your Baggs with anything else like a DI box?

14. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I'm playing a Seagull for my main acoustic........

but my backup is my old late sixties Ovation. I forgot the model but it's the expensive one with the gold keys, ebony fingerboard and all. It's an amazing unplugged tone but most of my acoustic gigs are plugged in and the Seagull's electronics sound better than the Ovation's, plus it has an onboard tuner. I've used my Ovation on sessions for years and it's really at home in the studio you just have to always have a strap on it or it'll slide right off your lap if you're not paying attention...........JH in Va.

15. plroad21

plroad21 Tele-Meister

Not particularly. I use the Active version of the M1. At church I run into a Radial DI. For bar gigs or clubs, I plug into whatever DI they have there or whatever Rolls or Whirlwind DI is in my gig bag...

16. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

I have a L.R. Baggs M1 Passive that I run into a LRB Para Acoustic DI. No complaints.

17. DonB52

DonB52 Tele-Meister

I have two back-ups...a Dillion "Stallion" and a Guild "Songbird".

18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

If A/E's count then on Saturday it became a Breedlove C250 to gig with rather than my Taylor.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.