Whats Your $100 Song?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, Jan 25, 2020.

1. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

You know the one where some guy came up and either slapped a $100 bill down or dropped it in the tip jar and said,

"Play it again!".

For me its the Charley McCoy instrumental version of old Hanks "I cant help it if I'm still in love with you".

That one has paid off five times since I stole it from Charley 35+ years ago.

Kebmel, mfguitar, DonM and 2 others like this.
  2. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

Gee, I never had that happen...

Dismalhead and nojazzhere like this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Do you mean what song would "I" pay $100 to hear again?....or what song I would play again for someone else's $100? I wouldn't PAY $100 to hear any song a second time in a bar or club.....but for $100, I'd play any song I know every set. ;)

4. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

One night in 1976, a guy asked for "San Antonio Rose." Played it- C note in the tip jar. Then he asked for "Faded Love." Did it, another C note. He then asked for "Troublin' Mind." I didn't know that one, but I asked him for what words he knew, and he recited a verse and the chorus, so I swung into "Stormy Monday" and faked it, another BennyFrank! I was working on another song to do for him when he passed out, dang it!

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We once received a $100 tip plus two rounds of double Cuervos to play Free Bird. No joke. The guy really wanted to hear it, and kept after us for a couple of sets before resorting to bribery. Once he took it to that level we decided to just go ahead and do it for him. We'd never played it before as a band, but all of us knew it well enough to do it justice so it turned out pretty well. I think we stretched it out to about fifteen minutes or so, with both of us guitarists trading off on the solos at the end.

Kebmel, NewKid and Honest Charley like this.
  6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Proud Mary.
    I have made more in tips with that song than any other.

Kebmel and DonM like this.
  7. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

Folsom Prison Blues

Kebmel and DonM like this.
  8. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you. I'll type slow.

I'm talking about the song that you played that someone liked so well that he/she gave you a $100 tip to play it again.

kuvash, BFcaster, MickM and 1 other person like this.
  9. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

My favorite “tip” was from a neighbor. I had just been divorced and was hitting the old Tanqueray pretty hard with a buddy of mine. We were playing old fifties hits and old country songs on the back deck with some acoustics. After about a hour a neighbor lady showed up at the fence and yelled out if we took requests. Whatcha wanna hear darlin says I? Go back in your house please was her answer. And we did.

10. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

MacArthur's Park

:)

DonM likes this.
  11. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

My friend and I were jamming at the campground one summer, acoustic guitars, John Prine etc. The gal from the next camper came over and said "We are just loving your music, no need to make dinner, just keep playing" and she brought a big plate of hot deep fried bluegills and set it on our picnic table.

That slicked up the fretboard!

naneek, Kebmel, gitold and 4 others like this.
  12. nojazzhere

OK.....I'd probably pay $100 out of my own pocket to NOT have to play Freebird.....just ain't gonna happen. ;)

gregulator450 and LGOberean like this.
  13. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Free Bird for sure.

There were several on the set list that I pushed to put on the Elite List, but alas. True democracy is seldom a friend. :twisted:

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’ll let you know as soon as it happens.

Kelleycaster and Stringbanger like this.
  15. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

A good buddy of mine, Larry was playing fiddle at a local Amvets hall a few years ago. A drunk staggers up and wants to hear the Tennessee Waltz, and plops down twenty bucks.

A while later, same drunk staggers up to the stage and wants to hear the Missouri Waltz, and plops down twenty bucks. Larry did not know the Missouri Waltz, so he plays the Tennessee Waltz again but substitutes Missouri for Tennessee.

Sure enough, in a little while the same drunk wants to hear the Kentucky Waltz. Twenty bucks later, Larry was singing ‘I was waltzing with my darling to the Kentucky Waltz.’

After the show was over and stuff was being packed up we could over hear the drunk and another patron talking about how good the band was. The drunk looks at Larry and says, ‘and that feller right there...you can’t stump that sumbitch on a waltz’

Tommy Biggs, naneek, Kebmel and 15 others like this.
  16. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

I was playing a gig in Brownsville Texas, right on the boarder. We just played our last song of the night, the bar is closing, and the band is packing up. A guy comes up and says "play Wooly Bully." Now, I've never played that song, hated it, and we were done for the night, so I say "sorry we're done." He had clearly had a few and was insistent in a way only drunks can be.

Finally he said "a hundred bucks if you play Wooly Bully." I grabbed my guitar, turned my amp back on and I jump into "Uno, dos, tres, quatro .... wooly bully, wooly bully." And fudged my way thru the rest of the song.

By the time I was done, he had re-thought the situation and backed out of the hundred, but did give me a 50 dollar tip. OK, cool.

Never played that before or since.

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Several years ago I had a "residency gig" at a restaurant in a nearby coastal town. The restaurant owner was a jerk, and the base pay didn't even cover the drive over there, but the restaurant's patrons were very generous, so I played a couple of nights a week there for about a year. In that time, I regularly got a $20 tip for a song, and once I got a C-note. But unless I saw what was being put in the tip jar, at the end of the night I never new who gave what, or after which song, so I can't really answer that question.

What stands out even more in my memory was a night even longer ago, 7-8 years. A duo I was in played an outdoor gig for an island realty company that deals in beach/vacation condos and cottages on the island. The establishment normally had lighting on the outdoor stage, but that night something wasn't working. Once it got dark, we could neither see or be seen, and since we had been playing nearly 3 hours at that point, we called it a night.

My duo partner's husband had some party he wanted to go to, so they left as soon as we quit. As they were leaving and I was starting to break down and load out, a party of five (a couple and three friends) sat down in the empty chairs in front. Again, it was dark, so it took them a minute to realize that I was packing up, not setting up. They asked "Are you starting or quitting?" When I let them know that they had completely missed the show, the expressed their disappointment, but stayed in their seats, sharing a bottle of wine and enjoying each other's company. Turns out they were school teachers, and were doing an island getaway weekend before school started up again.

When I finished breaking down and packing up the gear, I decided to offer to play a few songs for them on my acoustic. I offered, and they eagerly accepted, so I got my Breedlove dreadnought acoustic/electric back out of its case and sat down in their circle, and asked them what they wanted to hear. It was one of those magical times when every single request was one I knew or if not the specific song another by the same artist/band. They sang along, they danced, they had a great time. And so did I, truly. Before I knew it, another hour had gone by. My wife called me on my cell, and I realized the time and excused myself.

As I was leaving, the guy shook hands with me, and in his hand was a singular bill of currency. I told him he didn't have to do that, and he replied, "No, but I want to." I thanked him, stuffed it in my pocket without looking at it, loaded up my SUV and headed out. After I was driving away, I turned on the dome light to see what bill he had given me. Sure enough, it was a Benjamin. I made about the same amount of money in that extra hour as I did in the previous three in my scheduled gig.

I know that story isn't about a single $100 bill for a single song. If you broke it down per song, it would be more like $7 per song. But it still stands out in my memory as one of my best gigging experiences.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  18. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I wouldn't pay out of my pocket to avoid playing that song, but I'd refuse to play it, even if it meant foregoing a $100 tip.

That's hilarious! :lol: I don't know if that story's true or not, but...scratch that. I don't care if it's true or not. I'm stealing that story! :lol:

Shouldn't that have been "One! Two! One, two, tres, quatro"? :twisted:

richiek65 and nojazzhere like this.
  19. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

Not a $100 song, but my late brother-in-law GAVE me a newish Martin D-12-28 after I played him multiple Garth Brooks songs on it.

He insisted that I have it and snuck it onto the airplane home from Louisiana.

He was an über successful "country lawyer" and was very much completely drunk most of his life. Very eccentric fellow, to say the least.

AlbertoMilanese, Kebmel and MickM like this.
  20. nojazzhere

So, the lesson here is.....get the money IN YOUR POCKET before doing the song. Fifty bucks ain't bad, but he should have paid his initial offer! ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.