What's Wrong With "On the Road Again?"

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Leon Grizzard, May 23, 2018.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

soooo, if jackson is not too autobiographical... then the autobiographical explanation about the Willie song does not hold water. For me, I dig Jackson and would play it... (but I've done the willie song too and felt the 'like a band of gypsies we go down the highway' is the story of every band who ever played out...

2. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

It's a piece of fluff and really, really specific to Willie and his entourage. I don't see any point in someone else playing it, other than a Willie cover band or tribute act.

3. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I think that’s a good way to put it.

Slim and Dzamuz like this.
  4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

sang Jackson with a gal who was cute as a button, and not my wife

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I don't really agree that OTRA is specific to Willie, in terms of lyric.
    I think it expands to anyone ( like me) that just likes to gig, with musicians that are friends
    I don't ' tour' ( just stay around Metro DC area ) but I gig a lot and can't wait 'till the next one. Kind of ' lost' unless I have music to play.

As for the structure of the song, I'm kind of attracted to how there is no ' breath' ( beat) between the verses, choruses, and solo- kind of implies constantly moving- plus I love to play the guitar on this song, so I like it!

Teleterr and getbent like this.
  6. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

That song is not specific to Willy and his band in any way... any band that spends (or has spent) a lot of time on the road can relate to that song.

Dzamuz, E5RSY and WireLine like this.
  7. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

We just got back from a long road trip-Iowa to Alaska....with our 10 year old granddaughter....she sang "on the road again" much of the way....

We did thew tune in my old band and it always seemed to go over well...we had a lead in and fade out of increased/decreased volume with highway sounds...volume swell honks and such....

8. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I prefer "driving on 9"

actually sounds like a song about the road.

Moriarty likes this.
  9. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

I think it's interesting seeing what people like as a song to cover. The rationale for doing it or not. It seems like for a lot of folks, it was the place or state of mind they were in when they first heard the song, or what they feel it has come to symbolize.

It's one of those songs I'd play on acoustic at a backyard party, but maybe not on stage. I'd come closer to playing it in my rock-n-roll-punk-and-whatever band rather than a straight-on country band. Of course, it all kind of depends on the audience.

10. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

it's pretty played out. do some louvin brothers or george jones instead.

Slim likes this.
  11. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I like to cover slightly deeper cuts, like a popular band's third most famous song. Then, 80 percent of the crowd think they're part of the elite insiders with the band who know the song. Call it the Tom Waits Effect. For some reason, I'll play a Tom Waits song and two-thirds of the crowd light up like they're the only one in the room who has heard this song before.

"On the Road Again" won't elicit the Tom Waits Effect because that song is like "You Are My Sunshine" and "This Land Is Your Land": everybody knows it and everybody knows everybody knows it.

But I love the song. I haven't toured my whole life or anything, but I've played around enough to feel it: "the life I love is making music with my friends." That's downright lovely and true.

12. cyclopean

why not "road crew" by motorhead instead?

13. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

It's just another VERY popular Country tune , if we are playing in a Country band doing covers, this is always a consideration, just like hundreds of others. Years back I covered it on a regular basis when it was "on the charts" . Today only by request or if someone wants a WILLIE song we may pull it out.

It's a well written song and in the dance clubs it's an easy song to dance to as well as being very well known. Very few people are pondering the significance of the lyrics, I know I never did and still don't.

I'm not getting why a cover Country Band would not play it now and then, unless it's because it doesn't have a Brad or Brent solo in it.

I'm now thinking I may pull it out for my FRI night gig this week ! Even though I don't consider myself a big Willie fan, there are millions out there that are. One thing I know, it will pack the dance floor.

Oh and yeh, I'm an old Geezer and this Old Geezer will advise the younger generation players that I'm still really busy , the phone rings all the time for gigs, mostly because I am familiar with hundreds of songs and have no problem playing them, it's not about me or my age, it's about the songs. It's always about the songs. Oh and I cover "I saw her standing there " all the time as well and I'm not 17 either. It's a Beatles song nobody in the audience is 17 either.

If we are selecting songs in our set lists based on the lyrics or deep song meaning, well, good luck ! I just wanna know what key we are in...:)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Junkyard Dog and codamedia like this.
  14. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Supersuckers were on the SubPop label, known for bands like Nirvana and Mudhoney. Not very tight, but it's kind of cool to hear it in a different style.

15. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

AB37A5E8-46DE-4099-9695-40BE6A416A04.jpeg

16. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

So long as people put a doller in my bukit, I'll keep playing it.
    Honestly, it's just a song. I spend more time waiting at Red Lights.

17. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

This is a really great suggestion. Both have a wealth of untapped songs from the early years.

George Jones has a lot of great songs that many casual fans have probably never heard.

18. T Prior

if we are playing a "COVER" circuit, while of course there are no rules, playing recognized songs is the long term key to success, not deep album cuts. If the band members are the only ones who know the song and where it came from it's probably not even considered a COVER song. Sure by definition it's a cover song but in actuality for the gig it may not be. If someone requests a George J song, they are asking for a KNOWN George song. Thats the point of it all.

The entire point of these COVER gigs is for audience recognition, be it singing along with a Beer, or filling the dance floor.

But of course I'm just an old Geezer doing this for 50 years, I could be wrong.

This past weekend we did an outdoor show, more mainstream R+R with some classics. Some very good friends came to hear us ( old geezers like me ) and when they left the comment was, wow those were great songs you guys played, we knew every one of them and sang along.

What are the odds, if we are playing in a cover band , that the younger aged people in the audience ( not the Geezers) will recognize a deep album cut to a well known singer who they barely even know ?

"That was a George Jones Song"...

"Good, can you now play one we all know " ?

19. cyclopean

i hate hearing played out covers. eg motorhead has a lot of songs that aren't ace of spades.

20. T Prior

I don't think On The Road Again is a Motorhead song, but I could be wrong.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.