What's with the string ends?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Strat Jacket, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

They really do - also make great nut and saddle cleaners too. Paint dabbers for gun sights - lots of uses for the remnants.

Back to the question -
    I think the whole thing is about individuality, or maybe the opposite - saw someone else do it and they could play better, so maybe just maybe having a birds nest of strings flopping around their headstock was gonna be the psychological boost to their playing. Who knows what goes through the minds of guitarist's.

I mean aren't we the same people that invest thousands (sometimes tens of thousands) into instruments and amps, drive a $1500.00 beater of a car, travel five hours for $200.00 gig...yeah that's us.

I have nightmares of the Ernie Ball Monster tying me up and doing very strange things to me - night after night. The 24P off me banjo gets me every time. :cool:
    Beware of the strings and wear glasses like me!

Strat Jacket likes this.
  2. Skydog1010

that's really weird - you must be a luthier
    I imagine they see a little bit of everything, including the super glued tuners

3. Skydog1010

I hate rechecking my blood sugar with my locking tuners or reaching for the electronic tuner to turn on/off and getting stabbed.

Strat Jacket likes this.
  4. Skydog1010

seen guys do that when guitar is slightly smaller than case the string ends grab the inside fabric and make the owner feel more secure, that it's being held in place by guitar string ends...it really doesn't work. Bought a strat that was cased that way. LOL.

AAT65 likes this.
  5. Skydog1010

back in the 50's and 60's (before mandatory grounding of equipment) he could have been frozen in the morgue.

6. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Looks cool, shows you're only concentrating on your music and not appearances ;}

7. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Laziness? I nearly always trim my ends because I like them trimmed as well. When in mod mode I'll leave the ends long until I feel I'm finished making changes.

However, my main guitar which I leave at the jam spot has the ends dangling as I changed the strings as they broke quickly during a jam & then just never bothered to cut them. Drives my other guitar player crazy. Lol. Maybe that's why I haven't been trimming these ones.

Strat Jacket likes this.
  8. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

this!!

9. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Its better than a sharp stick in.....oh wait nevermind.

Strat Jacket and nojazzhere like this.
  10. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I don't know if it looks cool, but OCD aside, most working pros that aren't posing for an album cover use any means available to stay in tune under hot stage lights, and most aren't too concerned with the appearance of a clip tuner. I got used to one when I realized that sometimes lights can make a pedal hard to read.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

pathfinder 15R 099.JPG
    Plus....like I've said before, I can tune from anywhere without having to return to my pedal board.
    The D'Addario mini I use is hidden behind the headstock.....an audience member would need binoculars to even know it's there.

Strat Jacket likes this.
  12. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I don't care if they know it's there. I'm not trying to keep it a secret.

Strat Jacket, nojazzhere and AAT65 like this.
  13. tomi

tomi Tele-Holic

I can't independently verify this, but I swear that I saw the Dillards on a TV show in the '60s, and after they performed, the MC (Mike Douglas? Lloyd Thaxton? Dick Clark?) noticed the uncut string ends on Rodney Dillard's guitar and asked him why he left them like that.

"So they can achieve Nirvana," he replied.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

Hour or two? The quick way is to pull the surplus length of string between your finger and the edge of a coin held with your thumb. Let go before you stab yourself on the end but the string then coils itself. I learned that from an interview with Terry Reid. He said he learned it from Eric.

P Thought likes this.
  15. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It's what all us cool folkies did back in 1969. R-9231236-1477069460-8128.jpeg.jpg 220px-Bob_Dylan_-_Nashville_Skyline.jpg

I still do on this guitar, for old times' sake.
    77062-1473171342018.jpg

P Thought likes this.
  16. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Neat trick!
    I used to tie the string ends in loops until I added a pair of side cutters to the tool box that lives in my gear bag. I’d never thought of curling them like that so I just rolled them up the slow way... which is still only 20-30 sec per string. But since I’ve got the cutters, they get cut — and the deadly sharp offcut goes in a bin right away.

Strat Jacket likes this.
  17. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

I read an interview years ago with a very well known guitarist. The interviewer asked him why he had used the entire string length on his Gibson and curled up the excess in circles on the headstock. He replied that cutting the string exposes the core to oxygen and the environment thus shortening the life of the string.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

You and I don't care.....but a number of guys here seem to object based solely on aesthetic reasons. I'd wear a polka-dot shirt and a "Blues-daddy" hat if it made my performance better. (they won't) but a clip on tuner DOES make my performance better. But, I just can't take the ridicule, scorn and criticism regarding my clip on......it upsets me so much I can't sleep at night! :):):)

Strat Jacket likes this.
  19. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Legit. Back when I and my best friend from high school were learning to play by copying Metallica songs, we saw a picture of Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman playing live and they had their untrimmed string ends going everywhere like weird spikes or something. We laughed about it, but did the same thing the next time we changed strings, because it suddenly seemed like the 'Metal' thing to do.

Teenagers man, I tell ya... :rolleyes:

colnago likes this.
  20. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Robert Fripp is like the Chuck Norris of guitars.

AAT65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.