What's with the string ends?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Strat Jacket, Jul 25, 2019.

1. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

UMPG Music blocked it. :(

2. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

Besides, the string cutoffs make great motorcycle carb jet cleaning tools. Just sayin'...

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

You reminded me of a TV performance (years ago) I saw of Leo Kottke.....intimate acoustic twelve string, with TWELVE uncut string ends sticking out. He finished a song with "waggling" the guitar neck, making those string ends shake and rattle.... almost like windchimes. ;)

4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I clip mine before I insert them into the post, whether they are Fender vintage style or the normal hole through the post. I know how much I need for the wraps and I don't recall ever having tuning issues that could be solved by having extra string. Not sure what the theory is there.

But yes, I absolutely hate seeing the excess, no matter how it's presented .

Strat Jacket and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  5. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

When I was young, er, I played a lot of camp fires. I was young and often didn't have many spare strings. I was also un-mic'ed, so I tried to play Loud, ya know? So I often broke strings.
    The strings almost always broke at the bridge, so if I had left the string untrimmed, I could take the broken off ball and slip it on the broken string end, twist it up, and put the string back on the guitar. Back to entertaining the campers. It worked, really.

Now-a-days, I don't play many campfires. I play the bars. I'm fully mic'ed up, so I can play with finesse (yea right). I haven't broke a string at a gig in years, and my headstocks are very neatly groomed.

BTW - I find headstock tuners and capos on headstocks to look just as awful as fuzzy strings.

6. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

One incentive to cut close to the post is when you buy a high-end gig bag, like a Mono or equivalent. Those strings sticking out act like a knife on the top interior cover even though they do put a protective layer there. Ask me how I know this...

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Is that the CN 10?

The only time I don't cut off the ends of strings is if I replace one on a gig and don't have clippers with me. But it gets clipped as soon as I get home.

Strat Jacket likes this.
  8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I had always cut the ends fairly close to the post until I saw a picture of Neil Young circa 1970 and his strings were uncut.
    After that I left them dangling , that lasted a couple years, then I started trimming them again, never stopped since.

Strat Jacket likes this.
  9. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Back in the day, all us neighborhood guys thought leaving string ends uncut made us look like busy musicians who didn't have the time to cut them because we were too busy gigging.

10. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

You brought up a great point at least guitar strings are in their natural habitat on a headstock, I cannot stand seeing a tuner clipped on a headstock! especially when not being used for tuning.

It’s almost like a sign of being a musician today If a tuner is clipped on your headstock
    ( might not be able to play but it sure looks cool ) ;)

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  11. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

Clipping the strings definitely affects tone negatively. It's all down to quantum mechanics, and the space/time continuum. That's why I leave mine infinitely long. Obviously, if I left 20cm of string coiled up on the headstock there would be a clipped end in there sucking the tone out of my special sound.

Now, how does that pesky F chord go again?

boredguy6060 and hemingway like this.
  12. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I suspect it was done often after a quick string Chang before a show. I use the holes in the tuner for my Tele and cut everything else. If I’m not performing I leave the strings uncut fir a day. I’m told it helps with settling the strings. Is that true?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like to weave mine together in a macrame pattern. So what?

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 Yup, musicians like to be different and like to look cool, so some just have the need to let those strings hangout.

BTW, not too many one eyed guitarists out there. Hey, just an observation.:D

15. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

A friend of mine once had a string end get stuck in the grill of a live microphone during a particularly subdued atmospheric song in front of about 1500 people. He was basically frozen in place for the next five minutes. So, yeah, cut those strings closely, kids.

16. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

i clip them.i don't care what others do.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I don't trim them until I know the guitar is set up properly. That way I can take them off and restring it if I need to. If I'm not working on a guitar though I need to trim them, half of it being the pokey issue and the other half being my OCD.

18. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Robert Fripp does not know what you are complaining about! He leaves whacky bent-over ends on his strings...
    487DED5F-40E1-4BA5-B905-C03E391E5A66.jpeg
    29EEF2C2-971E-4F13-9C41-732DE0CC2831.jpeg
    ...and a clip on tuner too by the looks of it...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Boil, SecretSquirrel and nojazzhere like this.
  19. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

I always cut them before winding - using two tuner post as a general measure except going shorter on the big strings. I leave a very tiny amount of that cut string protruding...
    but I have to say the best string system is the vintage tuners where you stick the end down the hole. Neat and effective.

20. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

At least the front of the headstock (probably) is tidy....:rolleyes:

string ends22.jpg

P Thought and AAT65 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.