1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Whats up with the new 72 AVRI?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bunky, Sep 17, 2011.

1. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

I don't know that there is a "best" - the construction and materials involved seem to be pretty similar across the board.

The most vintage correct are going to be Telenator's CuNiFe mod (he rebuilds your reissue pickup to vintage spec using the same magnet material originally used by Fender). I've heard nothing but good things about his mod work. http://www.telenator.com/

There is also the following:
    http://www.at-the-creamery.co.uk/sc...de-range-thinline-humbucker-replacements.html

Really nice guy, makes great pickups. I have a set of his Classic 71's.

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/me...duct_Code=269&Category_Code=humbucker-pickups

Jason Lollar makes great pickups; I have heard nothing but good things about his Regals.

http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/wrhb.shtml

Again, well reputed pickup maker that I've heard nothing but good things about.

I seriously doubt you could go wrong with any of the above. You could also try your hand on ebay for originals (I got one on there earlier this year for around $300).

2. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Go MIM and mod... that's my personal take. My MIM 72 Deluxe RI is a GREAT guitar. SO much so I'm not too sure what you're getting for the extra money of the AVRI 72's - I know WHY they cost more, but... (although I notice you can now get a Squire 72 Deluxe and an MIM RI but there isn't an AVRI 72 Deluxe RI)??? The parts are all the same, so if it makes you feel that much better that someone in the US built your guitar then pay away, but I don't see any benefit from the playing side/aspect...

Lollar and Telenator are the two I'd go to if I were looking to re-pup a RI WRHB guitar...

Cheers

Dave

3. Tele60x

Tele60x Tele-Holic

Honestly, I really want to try out the Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom (the new one with the Wide Range Humbucker Reissues). Might be the best bet for a modding platform.

4. nedray

nedray Tele-Meister

I bought the AVRI Thinline earlier this year, and I'm overall well pleased with it. Also had one of the MIM ones a few years ago, and this one is different. The MIM pickups are simply PAF style HB in a WR-looking case, so they sound midrangey and muddy--especially in the neck. I think they stayed with 250k pots in it, so thtat's not too hard to understand--and it's not a bad sound if that's what you're after. The AVRI pickups are voiced much more traditionally Tele, with a serious twang in the bridge position. The neck pup is cleaner too, although still overpowers the bridge unless you crank it down low on the pickguard. I can't say whether or not it sounds original--I used to sell them in the mid-70s, but my memory isn't clear. This new AVRI does sound real spanky in the bridge position, with a little less sustain and ring than you'd get from a AVRI 52, for example. With distortion and a slide, it'll get downright rude--almost like a Danelectro. As mentioned, fit, finish, hardware, etc., are consistent with the AVRI series overall--which is to say, topnotch. Whether or not it's worth the price is your call, but I'm glad I have mine, even though it's not my go-to. When I play it, it's always a good experience. The only thing I would change is the fact that it doesn't say Made in USA anywhere on it. If I wanted to sell it, distinguishing it from a MIM could be a challenge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.