1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's up with Jazzmaster Pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by zezone, May 10, 2020.

1. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

That's what "ice pick highs" are all about. I wouldn't be surprised if it did cause damage to the ear drum. Things that cause pain are usually bad for the body.

merseymale likes this.
  2. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

I put a set of Fender Vintage '62 pickups in my Squier VM Jazzmaster a few years ago. Big improvement over the stock pickups. The '62's would be the same as what was in the new 1964 Jazzmaster I bought new right after high school graduation in the spring of 1965.

I have since changed the 1 Meg lead pot to a 500. Toned it down some when the tone pot is turned down a bit, still plenty of highs if turned up.

This was the old one back in college in 1965.

3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

The ice pick from the high valued pots dimed is exactly why they are so deliciously wonderful and clear under distortion. Added treble without overall added output or added low end. It’s like a treble booster pedal (which has the purpose of increasing clarity in highly distorted tones).

Just because it’s there doesn’t mean you have to use it all the time. Turn your knobs. The Jazzmaster depends on it for best results. The concept behind the Jazzmaster was to give players an extremely broad tonal palette, from very dark to very bright, and the controls needed to access all of it. You’ve got everything in between the extremes as well, and that is intended to be the normally occupied zone. If you have everything dimed, of course you will find the thing too bright for many things. You are operating at the outer extreme of its tonal spectrum at that point.

4. Antigua Tele

Yeah with the right value cap, you can push resonant peak down towards 2kHz, and it gives you a P-90's tone, like a overdrive-friendly mid boost without battery. Of course, the clean sound is rather awful.

5. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

This right here is one major reason why indie rock guitarists keep coming back to the JM. Geeky/Retro-Futuristic looks with versatile pups that can do pushed HB with clear harmonics, and clean warm sweetness at the flick of a switch.

cvs68, Fearnot, superjam144 and 2 others like this.
  6. Scheckenbacker

Scheckenbacker TDPRI Member

This, and rolling off the tone/vol if you've got 1M pots, is the the key to getting the most from your JM. My bridge pickup is a lot higher than the neck pickup.

merseymale, howardlo and zezone like this.
  7. zezone

zezone Tele-Meister

Yes. The point I was trying to make is that they sound more like HBs with really good note definition as opposed to single coils. My expectations may have colored my perception of the sound I got since I had prepared myself for a bright, trebly sound.

merseymale and schmee like this.
  8. zezone

zezone Tele-Meister

Interestingly enough, that's not the case for me at all and I use 1M pots. There is no ice pickiness at all with both pickups. The bridge sounds great but the neck pickup is something else. It also has so much sustain that I can hold a note with moderate amounts of vibrato in excess of 10 seconds before any significant decay occurs. At some point in the future I'm going to have a pickup winder friend of mine check it out to see if there's 'something wrong' with it.

merseymale and Treehouse like this.
  9. zezone

zezone Tele-Meister

I should also add that the neck pickup is not set particularly high.

10. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

that's a nice photograph.

merseymale and zezone like this.
  11. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

That sounds like them to me. I think they are great. I have two CS JMs. I roll the tone back about halfway.

12. mortron

mortron TDPRI Member

I am interested in the Jazzmasters and the history and whatnot. I have a soft spot for them, and hope to one day own one. These Fender pickups the OP mentioned have been complimented elsewhere and given the cost of pickups, these present a good value in regards to getting that "stock" sound from a JM pickup. While there are likely others, and better, the price for entry seems to be pretty good for what they bring to the table.

AFAIK the 1M pots are a big part of the Jazzmaster sound. Also realize the guitar was designed to be strung with heavy gauge flatwounds and used for Jazz like 12's and 13's... this is why some have issues setting up and getting the tremolo to play nice or find the pickup characteristics tricky to wrangle... since the heavier strings influence the tone, that was probably factored into the design of the pickups/electronics.

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

For the record, real JM pickups sound nothing like HBs, IME. As a metaphor or point of reference ok, but really, there is no perceived compression, no similar output, and JM pickups are just not as dark and dull as most HBs. If there is an HB (excluding Filtertrons) that can ape the JM neck pickup with 1meg pots, take my money!

14. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Antigua, I greatly appreciate your posts, but I have to say this is a bogus argument. It only applies to open strings. As you play up and down the neck, the effective scale length is constantly changing.

AAT65 likes this.
  15. Antigua Tele

The timbre doesn't change much though, that's why a neck pickup sound like a neck pickup all around the neck, as does the bridge and middle pickup of a Strat.

Someone else mentioned that the neck pickup of a 24 fret guitar never sounds quite like a neck pickup of a 21 or 22 fret, it's the same cause and effect, and it's not only true of open chords.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    merseymale likes this.
  16. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Ok, but now you're getting far from your scientific bent, which is not like you. Now you sound like the rest of us, speaking platitudes of subjective, non-scientific opinion, that some would call BS cork-sniffagery. :D

17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Except I bet Antigua could actually confirm this with oscilloscope read-outs that compared the resulting output from the same pickup in slightly different positions, with fingerings all up and down the neck. A.k.a. he usually backs up his cork sniffery with objective data.....

cvs68 and merseymale like this.
  18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Yup.

IME, the closest you'll get in a full-sized humbucker shape is EJ Customs.

19. Antigua Tele

OK here's science, with the help of this tool http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/

This depicts an open low E

[​IMG]

Or a "A" on the E string at 110Hz and 19 inches, the pickup is the same distance from the bridge:

[​IMG]

Or an "E" at the 12th fret at 164.81Hz and 12.75 inches, the pickup is the same distance from the bridge:

[​IMG]

Note how the comb filtering pattern is the same in either case. So the note changes, but the filtering remains the same.

Attached Files:

20. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

@zezone is that the American Pro bridge on your build? Happy with it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.