What's up with Hermida?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by nosuch, Dec 22, 2012.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

That's why I brought up the MannMade saddles thing. There's just no telling as to what might be going on. The work that people do can typically be such a tiny facet of their lives, even if we see it as the thing that defines them.

2. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

I used to have a job where people were constantly asking me "where is my *insert item*" and following it up with "but you said *time period*" and it drove me mad. Then there's the ones who'd call and ask "just checking if my item has come in yet". No, it hasn't. If I were Mr. Hermida - or anyone else in a similar situation - I'd also give up on a bunch of whining, impatient, internet gear nerds. YMMV.

3. B.G.

B.G. Tele-Meister

Hopefully you'd also have the common sense to not have your website quoting an estimated delivery time so severely inaccurate as to upset people in the first place.

4. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

True that ^
    Theres obviously something more to the story. When he gets back on his feet and fixes whatever the problem is I'd still like to order one of the V-2 reverbs.
    Now is not the time apparently though....

5. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Poor Mr. Hermida (and you!). Notice that he gave up on the whiners AFTER he took their money. Don't care what other problems he might (or might not) have - he's dishonest, at the very least.

Hey - just a thought - maybe JHS could build Zendrive Clones, but just until Hermida is back in production. :twisted:

6. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

And it might help to admit that things might not get straightened out. It was another Tele player that gave me all the gory details with Mann, and I almost wished I hadn't heard it.

Even Joe Barden went thru all this mess, didn't he? I don't even know the details, but it's almost like he's just an employee at "Barden Inc." now, or something like that?

But yeah, when you've taken folks money, there has to be some sort of contingency action, despite any circumstances.

I know someone who was on the list for the Toneczar Echoczar, and an inordinate amount of time went by. After a barrage of emails, he finally got an explanation that the computer with the contacts had a hard drive fail, and everything was lost. He told him to give up his slot to the next person in the list - not even the best of the best was worth it after that kind of aggravation (in the opinion of this person I know).

It's easy to just want to see one side of this or the other, but business is business. And - there's personal stuff I just don't want to know, even though I can certainly empathize.

I guess this is a good point to recall the "market saturation" thing. There's so many sources now - why would you put a hook in your mouth with just certain companies? I don't care how good the product and/or customer service is - there are almost always other options. Some might be a "slight concession plan B," but it need not be having to settle that much, IMO.

As much as I personally dig the wares AND service of Brian Marshall, Dave Barber, Jeorge Tripps, and maybe a few others, I'd never be monogamous to any one of them. That just IMO doesn't make sense.

7. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Got the shipping notice today on my zendrive, ordered on 19 Oct, 2012. If it takes over 5 months to get an order out, there should be some communication!

8. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

So hopefully they will ship mine – ordered the same day – now, too.

9. cellrebral

cellrebral Tele-Meister

Not a shill, but I can't praise Dan Zinc enough. Great guy to work with, and he makes a killer Rinzai Drive (one of the schools of Zen). Built in a small enclosure and virtually indestructable. No wait time, and cheaper than the scammer Hermida.

10. rogthefrog

rogthefrog Tele-Meister

I understand guitar hardware builders can't be expected to be computer experts, but the hard drive failure thing is a crock. It may be true that a hard drive failed and they lost all their orders--I'm not disputing the facts. But this is 2013 and these people are running a business, so there's really no excuse for them not to have at least a backup of all their customer data, or to be managing that stuff in "the cloud" using Google or any of the myriad services that do that. If your volume is small enough it doesn't have to cost anything, either. To me it's about as unprofessional and ridiculous as not building any pedals for 6 months because you took 6 months to find your soldering iron tip that you misplaced in your shop, instead of 1) having another tip at hand or 2) getting a new one.

11. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

:neutral:

Attached Files:

12. jackal

At least, the website is updated, no longer taking orders.

13. fg140

fg140 TDPRI Member

"guitar hardware builders can't be expected to be computer experts"

Well, not to pile on, but he was a computer expert too, wrote a
    well-received book on ray tracing back in the 90's, if memory serves.

14. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I worked nine years for a very successful manufacturing business. We always had the highest prices and the longest lead times. But.... We always delivered, no excuses, no exceptions. The owners philosophy was the shop just focus on getting the job done, and he would go get the money. He said it was hard to get money from people we didn't deliver to. Pretty basic.

15. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I received shipping information today, eventually.

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

It seems like Alf screwed up, but is trying to make good. I think that says a lot.

17. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, it says he has no idea how to run a business and a little communication/website updates could've prevented this problem. It says he's trying to save his business that he destroyed.

18. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Trying to make good? Like giving free pedals plus a letter of apology to all these people who have been waiting for 5+ months? I'd take that.

19. jackal

With the taste of crow in my throat and egg on my face, I will admit that the zendrive was worth the wait. It would have been nice to been notified of that long of a waiting time though.

20. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Eventually I got my Zendrive. Had to get it from the customs office 'cause Mr. Hermida didn't put the invoice on the parcel (neither there was one inside). Took more than six months after all with no communication. The pedal sounds good actually - just like advertised.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.