What's under your pickups?

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
So, I'm in the process of converting a P90 LP-type to mini-humbuckers from GFS. As others have mentioned, there's a slight fitment issue with the mini-humbucker rings (too big) and the P90 routs. Some say they have solved it by heating and cooling the plastic rings. However, I noticed that the mini rings are slightly tapered out at the bottom, so my solution was to file away some of this taper so that the rings are more "square." It worked! Fitment problem solved.

1654286292552.png

Next issue was that the GFS pickups mount directly to the body with a pair of wood screws, rather than machine screws and a mounting plate screwed into the bottom of the control cavity (like Gibson does it - the GFS mounting rings have a molded-in "spacer" to maintain the "correct" height of the pickup in the ring). This required me to glue in a small block of wood in the control channel that runs under the bridge pickup (neck was OK) so the screws would have something to hit. You can see it in the pic. Problem solved.

I bought some "rubber tubing" to place on the mounting screws so that I can adjust the pickups to the height I want, but now I'm thinking I'd like it better if the pickups had something (flexible) captured under them to push back against the cavity so that they feel more solidly mounted - and possibly prevent the vibration/oscillation that can cause feedback. I usually use the spongy-foamy stuff that many pickups come with in their retail boxes, but I wonder if there isn't a more substantial substance to use. I considered cutting up your typical kitchen sponge, but is there something better?

What do YOU use?

BTW, the "flaws" in the pic are reflections or plastic sawdust - the finish is untouched.
I also swapped in a TonePros locking bridge and tailpiece. Can't wait to hear what I've done..

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Bought about $3 worth of foam from Stew Mac. It will last me a decade. It looks like pipe insulation.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I use the Stewmac foam for humbuckers, even for pick guard mounted ones.

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've decided upholstery foam will do the trick - I've used it in the past with good results.
It's sad when you get old and your mind fades...

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Yeah, Gibson used those metal bars, brass, but there may be some aluminum ones also. These used machine screws for pickup adjustment.
I still have a couple here.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Either dirt on the jobsite or asphalt on the freeway.

EDIT:
You’re talking about guitar pickups, not my work truck. I apologize.

Doctorx33

Friend of Leo's
Can’t remember what guitar it was but I know I used foam underneath the pickups of one of my guitars. Even if you don’t need it for height adjustment a bit of foam underneath a pickup can help prevent unwanted feedback.