What's Under the Ashtray?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Tedzo, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Tedzo

Tedzo Tele-Meister

Saw another appraisal on Antiques Roadshow by Richard Johnston where he put a high number on the axe without looking under the ashtray to confirm serial number, saddles, base plate and pick up....any idea why he doesn't show us what is under there? Also, decal is questionable as the 'd' on Fender doesn't point at the 'd' tuner. Just sayin'.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/s...3-fender-telecaster-with-amp-case--201402A11/

Attached Files:

FrontPU and NothingGoatboat like this.
  2. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Seems kinda fishy, at least from the transcript. And it looks a little too clean, if it'd really been played for a while... who knows.

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Bear in mind the 'experts' on AR aren't the first person to appraise or look at the instrument on the day and in fact owners of such may have pre-registered and/or may be known to the experts, and also what you see onscreen may not be the first time the expert has seen the guitar.

It's likely someone else has whipped off the ashtray, control plate, scratchplate etc. and done due diligence on it.

They have to be careful not to give credence and provide provenance to a fake.

Of course if you were looking to buy an instrument like that regardless of AR opinion you'd be very wise to get it properly appraised.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

AR is an entertainment show, not accurate value assessment.

wabashslim likes this.
  5. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

Most things on the Roadshow are researched by a team of experts before the item is ever shown and appraised on the air for the audience!

6. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Yeah, not all of them get camera time either. Helps to have a Scottish accent or a twin brother.

RodeoTex and Chunkocaster like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Most of those experts look like preserved antiques themselves as do a lot of the people attending the show. When I first watched a few episodes I had a hard time working out what year they were filmed in. I guessed late 80's- mid 90's but turns out it was recently filmed.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  8. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Looks fine. The price seems fair given the condition and since it was used in a teaching studio for 40 years and not on the road for 40 years it's not that surprising it's clean. 30K isn't out of line for a black guard, case and amp. Especially if they have the original bill of sale.
    I doubt the viewers of AR want to see solder joints, caps and serial numbers.

One might also note the qualification on the valuation.

Context is key: Listen carefully. Most of our experts will give appraisal values in context. For example, you'll often hear them say what an item is worth "at auction," or "retail," or "for insurance purposes" (replacement value). Retail prices are different from wholesale prices. Often an auctioneer will talk about what she knows best: the auction market. A shop owner will usually talk about what he knows best: the retail price he'd place on the object in his shop. And though there are no hard and fast rules, an object's auction price can often be half its retail value; yet for other objects, an auction price could be higher than retail. As a rule, however, retail and insurance/replacement values are about the same.

Verbal approximations: The values given by the experts on ANTIQUES ROADSHOW are considered "verbal approximations of value." Technically, an "appraisal" is a legal document, generally for insurance purposes, written by a qualified expert and paid for by the owner of the item. An appraisal usually involves an extensive amount of research to establish authenticity, provenance, composition, method of construction, and other important attributes of a particular object.

Opinion of value: As with all appraisals, the verbal approximations of value given at ROADSHOW events are our experts' opinions formed from their knowledge of antiques and collectibles, market trends, and other factors. Although our valuations are based on research and experience, opinions can, and sometimes do, vary among experts.

mipstoo likes this.
  9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I remember one AR appraisal where they actually too the neck off (Strat I think) to see the date and 'TG'.

Tedzo likes this.
  10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They might not be allowed to show buttcrack on tv.

Nightclub Dwight and Dacious like this.
  11. Tedzo

Tedzo Tele-Meister

Thanks for your legal breakdown, but any kind of assessment of a Black Guard requires peeking under the ashtray.

12. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

In the case of porcelain expert Suzanne Perrault, her beauty has been a constant for many years, and I’m always a bit excited to see her lovely hands identify a piece of Delft or whatever.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. Dog Bite

Dog Bite TDPRI Member

Television show,,, Judge Judy can't send you to jail for contempt but she acts like she can :)

14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know any by name. I was talking more about the fashion and it was some years ago the last time I watched it.

15. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Suddenly this question came upon me, though... Speaking of 1953 teles, Roy Buchanan had sold his before his death? I remember that he didn't kept playing Nancy to the very end of his career, and on all his shows that I saw, he was playing his signature Bill Lawrence tele. Sorry for being off topic.

16. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

They can. It added a lot of value to Dan Akroyd's career.

17. Tedzo

Tedzo Tele-Meister

Au contraire, thanks for getting us back ON track.

18. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

"Whats under the Ashtray"? ....unfortunately....corrosion ........both Leo & CBS appeared to have differing standards of electroplating different parts.......I have not seen the top surface of the Control Plate with corrosion, nor the top surface of the Ashtray

However commonly the top surface of the bridge plate and the under surface of the Ashtray display corrosion....which appears to be from under the plating......possibly poor surface cleanliness prior to the plating bath?

Mind you this as after some 48 years,,,,,but it asks the begging question

P1170561.JPG P1170562.JPG

Derek

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  19. spook69

spook69 Tele-Holic

Can't be viewed in the UK ...... doh!

20. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Its a TV show. The appraiser would've checked the serial number as well as the condition, probably taken the pickguard off, etc to confirm its originality. They don't have time to do everything while on camera. You never know what editing they've done. They do have a reputation to protect and there are millions of eyes watching that program. No affiliation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.