What's to expect from a chinese neck?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by NorthenLights, Feb 24, 2020.

1. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Quarantine it for two weeks, just be on the safe side.

2. NorthenLights

NorthenLights TDPRI Member

That's not how viruses work. For real, individuals who travel by airplanes are what causes global pandemics, not consumer goods that's been sitting for weeks in cold containers.

But anyway, thanks everybody for the advice! I think I will hold my thumbs and order one. I' not going for the cheapest ones. I want some of the more fancier options, either a very flamed maple one, or with an ebony fretboard. Haven't decided which one yet, but I'll make a build thread when it arrives.

3. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

ummm - it was a joke. :rolleyes:

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of people will hate on me for this, but if stability is of importance, you probably shouldn't be looking at figured necks, no matter where they are made.

mkdaws32 and Norrin Radd like this.
  5. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

This is what I absolutely don't get about Chinese manufactures, Is it really that hard for say..Guitar Fetish, with all the inventory they move, To send 1 fricking person there with a decent CNC machine and explain how to work it??

Even a few proper templates would go a long way... But I guess it's a better business model to have nothing line up or fit properly, and deal with thousands of pissed of customers lol.

Chunkocaster and Arch Stanton like this.
  6. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Look at how crooked this is, and how close to the nut the low E tuner hole is.... It's an absolute joke on an otherwise decent $60 neck. I don't know if you can make it out, but I penciled in where the E, A and D holes should be, using the high E as a reference point.

But not only that, all 6 holes should be about 6mm further up the headstock.

If they just had a simple template the neck would be damn near perfect.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

It’s kind of amusing how many of us are looking at the same things at the same time. Just this morning I was looking at necks on eBay to go with a new tonebomb pine body and this thread pops up. Lots of good info.

Norrin Radd likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have one of those Chinese flame maple necks, you can expect it to be a gamble. They have a funky bloated looking headstock shape. The tuner holes are 10mm, unevenly spaced on mine so I couldn't use my usual vintage split shaft tuners. I had one slightly bent fret, there is a slight twist in the headstock but other than that it seems ok.:)

I have not fitted it or played it yet. Just put a straight edge on it and it seems fine. I wouldn't order another but I will make use of the one I've got.

The neck makes the guitar, if you want a decent guitar buy a neck with some kind of brand name (doesn't have to be well known) that has good quality control, return policy and a reputation to uphold.

Cheap flame neck with custom logo

20200107_170357.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  9. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

I haven't bought a Chinese neck for any projects, but if I needed a nice neck, I'll just buy a cheap Squier at a pawnshop for $50.00 and use the neck from that. I own a Fender MIM tele neck, and it feels great, but so do my Squiers.

10. Gravel Road

Gravel Road TDPRI Member

I have a Chinese neck that is too wide for the pick guard pocket. neck 2.jpg neck 3.jpg

11. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It certainly it pretty, though!

Chunkocaster and Norrin Radd like this.
  12. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I bought a 67 dollar blocked and bound Chinese neck that only needed minor fret work ( some fret end smoothing, they weren't like saw blades though). Very nice hard, smooth, non sticky finish. I'd chance another Chinese neck.

tiffany 19 front.JPG

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I use a lot of Kmise necks.... haven't had a bad one yet....most need no work other than sanding and finishing.... which takes care of the edges...

I don't get tele headstocks as they are wrong, I get strat necks and reshape them to a tele shape... more wood to work with....

the last 4 bass necks I got went straight on after finish... and only the most recent one had a small high spot on one note , not the whole fret.... a bit of dust in the slot maybe at that spot.... I sorted that spot with the strings still on....

one bass neck I've been playing for 2 years+ and the set up is just the same as it was when I did it.... the neck hasn't moved at all... through dry times and humid times...

and they're cheap....:)

14. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

You have to do a ton of research but there ARE great necks made in China. Just not most of them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.