1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's this fascination with remasters?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by radiocaster, Nov 23, 2020.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

David Barnett likes this.
  2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Yep. HF hearing loss. It's an age thing, especially after years of gigs.

BUT. I'm in happy position of having kept most of the vinyl I bought in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Compared to the recent remastered vinyl versions of the same LPs, they still sound better to me.

Obviously I'm missing out on the top end of both the old and the new.

Having to fork out a premium for 180gm vinyl that was once standard pisses me off too.

Now get off my lawn! :)

telemnemonics and Wulf like this.
  3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

There are thousands of second hand original master LPs and CDs out there.

Of course, new issue 'original master' (at a premium price) might be next year's big thing...

radiocaster and Wulf like this.
  4. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

I generally like a lot of compression in music that doesn’t have a lot of dynamics to begin with. If I buy a heavy album, I want it to kick my ass. I want my ears to be fatigued. I want it to sound like a slab. If you want to squash a sabbath record a little bit and jack the bass, I’m all for it. It sounds cool within reason.

If I want dynamics I’ll listen to classical or jazz or whatever. Wider dynamic range can also be good on dance floor records where low frequency info can turn to un-danceable mush through giant subs.

But I’m not really so offended by losing some minor amount on pop recordings. I can see why some engineers who came up back in the day are annoyed, but I think most people are often just parroting some loudness war piece they read somewhere rather than actually preferring older records. Lots of people sure loved those records when they were slammed through a brick wall limiter on the radio but now are protesting at masters (though to be fair, some of that Taylor Swift stuff is just way too over the top as is for radio compression on top). I think trying to equate something like Billie Jean remasters with Death Magnetic is disingenuous.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  5. fredwrites

fredwrites TDPRI Member

My understanding, as explained by a mastering engineer, is that when mastering for vinyl, the engineers had to compensate for the characteristics of playing back via needle/groove — notably decreased high-end and increased bass response. When CD’s first arrived, record companies simply took the master tapes equalized for vinyl and made a digital transfer for CD’s. The result: CDs sounded overly bright with weak bass. Remastering those mix masters to a final master “expecting” accurate digital playback added back the bass and reduced treble. Of course, they likely also played with compression and limiting to get the optimal sound. Makes sense to me.

black_doug likes this.
  6. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I heard a song from the ‘80’s on the radio the other day and now they’ve edited out a word. So many entities would remaster life if they could, they can go remix this finger.

7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Some songs have a separate album mix, single mix, and radio mix.

1955 likes this.
  8. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

The guy who remixed the snare for Metallica's St Anger... had more justification than any one.

9. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

It was a Dire Straights song (character study,) looks like it got banned up in Canada at one point.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.