1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's this fascination with remasters?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by radiocaster, Nov 23, 2020.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I really don't buy new releases of old records but I have on occasion, or sometimes got a remaster before hunting down an original vinyl release.
    Usually I prefer the originals for a number of reasons including compression, noise reduction, and some non musician engineers idea of how music made before he was born ought to sound.

I really can't think of a remaster that sounded better to me, but again, there's so much of the old stuff still on vinyl that i can't see much reason to buy old stuff on new media.

Gave up, sold all your vinyl, put the turntable in the attic?
    Well whose fault is that?

It's funny, there were a few times when a rare pressing I'd heard was impossible to find, and some I nagged record stores to find for me to no avail. I recall going through that with Coltrane's First Meditations for Quartet, which sold poorly and was not reissued when i was hunting for it.

When all the old analog & vinyl die hards finally got too old & tired to handle vinyl, they sold it all or threw it out.
    Suddenly the used record stores were well stocked with OOP vinyl!
    That Coltrane album?
    I have four copies now, all marked promo/ not for sale.

Next thing we know, kids today think vinyl is cool?
    Haven't shopped for vinyl recently, gettin old I guess but not selling mine off just yet!

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's just a ploy to get people to spend money on records they already have. It's just like when sports teams change their uniforms, so fans will want to go out and buy new ones.

3. telemnemonics

Too true, but worse still they change it for the worse to save ingredients cost or speed up production and mark it "improved" to try to con us into not moving on to a better product.

Often any of these attempts to improve a classic record or anything, is made by the new owners who just bought a good thing but think they can make it even better.

CBS, Norlin, hell even Dunlop made the classic MXR circuits worse.
    Consumers are consumers, and consumers love to hate cork sniffers too, while accepting the gradual decline of the quality of virtually every damned thing we consume.

It's odd how the guitar community seems to agree that vintage guitars are cool while not really knowing why, but also seems to condemn high end gear and call users of expensive gear "cork sniffers".

How does that saying go?
    It's easier to fool a consumer than it is to convince a consumer that they have been fooled?

While and con contains at least a kernel of truth, making it all the harder to figure out what's "better" and what's just different.
    For the most part the providers of stuff we consume want to increase profits and nothing else matters.

Only a diminishing few make stuff as good as possible any more.

4. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

When I was younger I thought the quieter vocals near the end of Whole lotta love were intentional. Later when I started recording myself I realized it was fade through. Years later when Page did the first remaster those vocals were much quieter than they were before but not gone. It must have drove him crazy to bother him after all that time when the average person listening wouldn't know the difference.

If I wanted to I could remaster my first album and remove a stick click that I hear everytime in one song but I am the only one including the band that hears it so why spend money on it.

Most labels remaster old songs to increase the volume to current standards and I can't blame then for this since it means increased airplay/streaming ect and this is a business. In the old vinyl days I hired mastering engineers on how good they were and that included getting the most volume out of the vinyl.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Early on in my Sonos days, only "remastered" or "bonus track" albums would be available for download. I bought them without focusing on that and now they annoy the **** outta me. I'm not such an uberfan that I want to hear unlreased mixes or "bonus" tracks deemed (generally for good reason) not to be good enough for the final original album. I wish there were a button I could push in my music library to "only include original tracks".

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Best. Remaster. Ever.

Wulf likes this.
  7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

A few years ago I was a DJ in the local swing dance scene. I played a set where I alternated between records and CDs. A dancer came up and remarked that there was a noticeable difference in sound quality (for the better) when I used records. Can't say I was surprised...

We bought the Kool-Aid. They told us tapes were better. We recorded everything to tape and sold our records. They told us CDs were better. We ran out and bought CDs and sold our records and tapes. They told us MP3s were better, so we bought iPods and threw out our CDs. WAKE UP, people! They're just finding reasons to make money off of us. They're not taking good care of the artists and, as the 2008 Universal fire proves, not even stewarding the priceless bevy of cultural history they own very well. What they ARE doing well, is making money on both ends of the process...hand over fist.

8. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

I’ve noticed that some remastered albums have had pitch correction performed. Couldn’t play along with the old ones in A 440 tuning; now it’s possible.

Wulf and telemnemonics like this.
  9. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Maybe in that remaster, Skeletor doesn’t end up as the Senator of a great southern state...

Wulf likes this.
  10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

I Dont bloodywell believe it...!"!!!
    look what i found...oooeck
    why do the gods mock me so???
    full screen it...remasters of the universe...i need a coffee a ciggy and a lie down i think

11. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i keep watching true grit in the hope one day John Wayne falls off his horse and shouts "Bugger" during that gunfight..."fill your hand you son of a...oops...bugger"....CUT!!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  12. telemnemonics

Back when I was learning to play guitar I often jammed with records, and almost always had to retune my guitar to the vinyl, though at times it was close enough to tune the record to my guitar using the / speed pitch control on my turntable.

I still sometimes grab a guitar when a tune is on a TV show, an those are commonly not in tune with my guitars.
    Not all my guitars get tuned to a tuner regularly though, some that I seldom play drift a bit due to neglect.
    For that matter I'm not 100% sure my old Conn Strobotuner is right on, only use it on the bench for setup and intonation.

You might wonder how often old time mastering included slowing down or speeding up a track that was otherwise perfect to the artist?
    Since then there was no tech to change tempo without changing pitch.

13. telemnemonics

Disabled in the US.

14. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

that one work?theres loads of em
    good job i didnt swear on my warriors honour to eat my hat or my words
    looking up how to make pastry...just in case

15. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I bought the remastered "Double White" Album. A huge difference in the vocals. They pop out like they didn't before. Likewise the bass on Abbey Rd.

16. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Maybe a little off topic, but the whole concept of mastering and intended audiences has me a little confused.

Any of you had a hearing test? I learned about 10 years back that I've got some high frequency hearing loss, particularly in my left ear. Probably from standing to the right of a drummer who was heavy on the ride cymbal for years :) but I understand that this is really common as we get older, particularly for men.

So...if key personnel involved in the mastering (maybe the mixing, too?) are older guys like me, and they've probably been subjected to more high volume, too, then wouldn't they have some high frequency loss as well?

How the heck does the finished product sound good to the slightly impaired recording professional, the slightly impaired consumer, and another consumer with perfect hearing?

Wulf likes this.
  17. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

Is there a "fascination"? I've always just though they were a way for record companies to resell old product one more time.

beanluc and Wulf like this.
  18. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

thee wot yung man?...cud thee spray that agin?
    aas abit mutton n jeff in me left lug...and haf blynd inth left eye...

19. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

I've had many hearing tests. I just took one Thur in fact. I've always doubted how accurate they are because in every single one of those "soundproof" booths I could hear chairs squeaking, people talking, or machinery running outside.

Whenever I take those tests I always find myself holding my breath to try to hear barely perceptible beeps. I mean if you have to stop breathing to hear the sound it's seems pretty absurd to me and I bet if I retook it again I would have different results.

20. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Who exactly are you talking about?

My own fascination with remasters doesn't extend any further than - I want the album, the remaster is what's available.

Now, if you follow the money, it's pretty clear who's fascinated with remasters and why.

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.