1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the verdict on Fender Road Worn teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MX80, Apr 10, 2019.

1. MX80

MX80 TDPRI Member

I have someone who may be interested in selling one of his, from what I'm reading they seem to be a good MIM alternative to the American ones. He owns two Road Worn and got a great sound from the one I saw him playing, he also had an original 50s Tele at the gig that he never played.

It would be my first Fender Tele (I have a Hahn Model C), frankly I'm mystified at all the different variations so I'm thinking this could be a good entry level model.

What do y'all think?

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Tiki Joe

Tiki Joe NEW MEMBER!

I bought used Roadworn Tele two years ago and I love it. I put Bare Knuckle pups in mine and new pots and switch. It’s just a great gigging guitar. There’s definitely no worry about scratches. Mine plays great, sounds great, and that raw wood on the neck is just sexy. I paid $750 and it was money well spent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greggorios likes this.
  3. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have played Roadworn Teles, Strats and recently a P-bass and I think they were amongst the best new Fenders I've seen of late. I'm still looking at the P-Bass.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve played about a half-dozen or more, and been very impressed each time—if I had the funds at the same time I had the guitar(s) in hand, one of them would have gone home with me.

If” being the imperative word in that sentence.

I say go for it!

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1, I've liked the ones I've tried very much. Nice players. As Tiki Joe above points out they're great for modifying if you ever want to upgrade them a little.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  6. Strum und Twang

Strum und Twang Tele-Meister

Tim Lerch spends some time with one here....

7. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

They are way beyond an entry level instrument...they are every bit a genuine Telecaster.I have owned several and the one I currently own is one of the best Teles I have ever played.Mine is lightweight,twangs with the best of them,looks amazing and has one of the slinkiest string action of all my guitars.I did install brass saddles for the authentic early 1950s blackguard look.The stock pickups sound great too.

13592618_1565892780382489_4864113146998658025_n.jpg

8. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

There have been a couple generations of them, and I haven't played any of them since about 2009 when they were first coming out. The one I had I actually borrowed from a friend to play four gigs when I had moved to Oregon and din't have a guitar with me. I thought it felt great, looked cool, and sounded good. It would be a very good choice for your first or only tele in the stable.

RichCuellarPDX likes this.
  9. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah these are great guitars. Whether you like the “relic” thing or not, the specs are really unique and impressive. The Tex Mex pickups are great (on the strats too). Vintage radius fretboard with the tall-narrow 6105 frets. Nitro finish. All for that price? I think you’re looking in the right direction. Good luck!

Make sure you share pics once it’s your’s. ;)

10. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've been a strat player all my life and while I liked tele's just fine, I never found one that could muscle it's way into getting any playing time as long as there was a strat hanging next to it on the wall. Until the roadworn. I just played and then bought one within the past couple months and it's clearly got a place in my small three-electric lineup. About the best feeling neck I've ever played and great sounds to be found in each position. I don't know if I'm quite an equal parts strat / tele guy yet, but I'm a whole lot closer than I've ever been. These are wonderful guitars...

This was my write up on it if interested:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-50s-roadworn.930250/

-Ray

11. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Cant wait to get mine. Stole it off Amazon for $594 new

joe_cpwe likes this.
  12. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I've only played one but have read many reviews (all positive) and seen many in the hands of professionals. My only objection is the really crap relic job on that series, that just looks unbelievable -- a clear factory treatment if ever there was one. I don't like relic-ing to begin with, but it's not a deal-breaker for me. But the first runs of Road Worn Fenders were ludicrous. Once your Road Worn gets a little, well, road-worn, it probably loses the fake look.

13. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

I bought one new about 4 years ago. A great player, but holy fret sprout Batman. I had to spend an hour on the frets with a file before I played it unless I wanted stitches on my fingers.

raysachs likes this.
  14. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

I really didn't think I would like them. Walked out of the store with the first one I tried. I loved the feel of the neck immediately.

15. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

If you like the distressed look they are the least expensive way to get it.
    If you don't like the distressed look there are lots of other options in that price range.

16. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

There are loads of threads on them. Most report loving its sound and feel. A few jump in to whine about them being fake relic’s. Love mine. Got a sunburst ‘09. Best feeling and sounding tele I got. If you can get for $600-650 it’s a good price.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Every MIM Fender I've played I've liked; some a lot. I've got a MIM Cabronita Tele and a MIM Strat and I love and play the heck out of both. Pretty sure that Road Worn is gonna make you happy. DO IT!

18. MX80

MX80 TDPRI Member

robin white.jpg

Thnks for all the great feedback, I'm trying to arrange a look-see ASAP. In the meantime here's one of my Robin Rangers (made by Tokai I believe), kind of a cool strat/tele hybrid. I also have a red one with white trim.

Corvus and Dismalhead like this.
  19. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Zounds!

Here, Amazon Japan lists them as the equiv. of US$1080 for the 50s sunburst and US$1310 for the 50s blonde.

To be fair, this is a non Amazon seller (Amazon Market Place seller?). Can't find any actually being sold by Amazon Japan.

20. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely love my 2009 50s Blonde RW.

I prefer the earlier ones with more relicing. My 2009 is my favorite Tele. It is just a great guitar all around and it has fooled a lot of people into thinking it was a '52.

Only mods are compensated brass saddles and a Lollar Vintage T neck and Lolllar '52 bridge pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.