1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the value of a used amp kit?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Mark the Moose, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

A year ago, I built a 35watt, 6l6, 1x12, Princeton kit from Weber. Sounds great, no issues other than it's way too much amp for me in my little studio. I'm thinking of building a micro amp to replace it, but I'm not sure what to ask for it. Any educated guesses as to what it's worth?

2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Google around for 'Princeton Clone' sales: eBay, Reverb, Craigs.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, nice cab? what speaker? etc. At least $500, probably more up to almost $1000 based on what people are paying for PCB reissues if it has a nice cab etc.
    But you can readily go to 6V6's if that depowers it enough for you.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

You'll be doing pretty good if you get the parts cost back, in my experience. Unless you're an established builder, it's just some amp that some guy put together, ya know?

5. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

No one seems to want to buy my Princeton clone for a grand. Hope that helps you.

6. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Hardly surprising when you can get a factory-fresh one for essentially the same price and it's backed by a warranty...

Rocky058, Marc Morfei and ronzhd like this.
  7. J. Bonkosky

True. But you don’t get American tubes, Cinch tube sockets, ohmite carbon composition resistors, a made in USA accutronics reverb tank, a Weber speaker, or a hand wired circuit from Fender either. So there is always that.

Timmay, schmee, jsnwhite619 and 2 others like this.
  8. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

Perhaps try selling the cabinet & speaker(s) in separate sales. You could also sell the transformers as a set, and maybe the chassis combined with face & back plates.

A bit more bother to sell it all in separate lots but at least you might get closer to covering your costs. That ebay seller "stratosphere" breaks guitars up & sells 'em as parts & many pay his extortionate prices. o_O

Anything you can't sell you can find a use for on your next amp build project!:D

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  9. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Hey Schmee. Any part swaps necessary to make the swap to 6v6? Or is it just a “run JJ’s and cool off the bias” kind of project? Might consider trying it.

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

tbh I’d only sell my built amps to other people who know how to poke around in them. I really don’t want the liability headache if someone does something stupid and hurts themselves.

otherwise I’d just part it out. probably easier to make most of the money back.

trancedental likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd bet that amp sells easier than many given the pop status of the 12w version and the less common extra power.
    Kind of THE perfect amp if you like the basic circuit.
    Better to drop the power though if that gets you what you want.

12. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You almost certainly won't get *what it's worth* -- there've been *so* many threads here showing that homebuilts, both guitars and amps, sell at a discount. If it looks great in and out, with pro components, a national listing and shipping may find you a smart buyer who recognizes those advantages.

In general, list it as many places as you can (eBay, Reverb, CL, FB, local online classifieds, local music shop, etc.) and be prepared to wait. If it looks good inside and has nice parts, put up sharp, pretty gut shots and write a listing that describes all its advantages. And, yeah, I agree downshifting to 6V6s may broaden the appeal.

I'm sure this doesn't apply to yours, but for an amp that looks homebuilt, a less popular clone, a one-off or much-modded homebrew, sometimes you save shipping hassles and wasted time by just listing locally for modest money. Then if it doesn't sell after a while, lower the price more. Markets may not be wise, or fair, but they're darn hard to argue with. :)

Ricky D. and Mark the Moose like this.
  13. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

The only people who know, much less care, about all that are people that build their own amps. :D

awasson, Kevin Wolfe and Jakedog like this.
  14. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I've sold three kit builds. An Allen Accomplice, Hot Fudge/w Nuts and 5f1+.
    I broke even on all three and each amp sold quickly. Maybe I could have gotten a little more, but I'm ok on breaking even on a kit.
    Two were sold on the 'net, one locally.
    On the 'net sales, I included lots of detailed pictures.
    (My work is tidy.)
    Allen kits are top quality and the pics gave the prospective buyer a good idea of my workmanship.
    Now, I've built home brew amps with quality parts from Allen, etc.
    I ended up parting out the cab, speaker, trannys, etc and did fine since I bought a lot of the bits used.

Mark

Marc Morfei and awasson like this.
  15. 5F6Animal

5F6Animal Tele-Meister

I’ve found that people want exact clones/reproductions. I just sold a 5F6A build I used for years for $1000. It was a reissue that I gutted, which I believe added to the value tremendously. I basically broke even on the deal.

I’d pay around $500 for an amp like yours as long as it was wired cleanly and used good quality parts. It’s a good setup for someone that likes Princeton features with extra headroom and frequency response.

16. telemnemonics

I buy hobby built and new builder attempt amps, love that stuff partly for the more attractive pricing.
    Shop at GC we see some of the brand name small builder amps and they seem affordable as well, clones and upgraded clones are oddly not very expensive on the used market.

I paid $275- $350 for several 18w Marshalls, a Dumble clone, an AC30 meets Tiny Terror and even a modded SF Princeton 6L6 1x12. Some were just working chassis and some had a nice cab.

A Princeton I assume Reverb should be higher but the exact price will be determined by finding the buyer.
    What did the kit and all cost you?

List it here at $200- $300 above your cost and see what happens?
    I assume with the cab and speaker etc that figure will be up there with clean used PRRI?

17. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

This.

corliss1 likes this.
  18. J. Bonkosky

Yeah you are right. I have listed the amp a few times to see what happens never a bite. Hopefully the OP has better luck.

19. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Alternative option - $45 or so for a Hammond 1750E output transformer shipped to take it back down to 6v6 levels. Build an attenuator like from Rob's site for the 1/4 power mod. I used a couple of 100 watt resistors for mine for overkill, and put it into a small aluminum project box, but it shaves off a 6db's or so without any noticeable tone loss. Just a short speaker cable from the amp to the box and the speaker plugged in. For $75 or less you can have a 6v6 Princeton Reverb with a 4 watt option.

If you are certain you don't want a 6L6 version anymore, I would change the OT to a proper 8k impedance and a smaller one to get more of the correct Princeton drive. 5u4 if you have a 3A winding on the PT will drop the voltage more than a GZ34.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

Here's a question though: How is it "too much amp in your little studio"?
    Do you only play distorted sounds and want the amp to provide the distortion?
    If you get rid of the clean sound reverb amp and just have a micro amp, you may really miss the nice cleans one day.
    Why not have two?

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.