Whats the story with Danny Groah (Alan Jackson guitarist)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by pgrace245, Apr 21, 2011.

1. pgrace245

pgrace245 Tele-Meister

So I find myself often on Youtube watching Alan Jackson videos and keep seeing his road guitarist tearing up some sweet twangalicious country licks. I'm curious what the story is with this guy as you don't hear much about him. I'm curious if he comes up with the solos and licks and is copied by Brent Mason in the studio or is he playing Mason's licks from the studio. I would also like to know what that old tele is that he plays often (good pictures in the 5 O'clock somewhere music video). Any way I love his licks and style of country and would love to know more about this twang master.

Here are some of his videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp2GD2BkFXs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPCjC543llU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1R66wQQ0vk

2. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

danny has to play the parts that brent mason writes for those songs. it says alot about him as a guitarist that he can not only play those parts,but makes it look easy too. i wish i had half of his talent!!

3. pgrace245

pgrace245 Tele-Meister

Ok so he follows Brent Mason's lead on the solos. Yeah it's impressive that he can play those Mason licks perfectly. I'm just surprised he's not talked about more often in the tele/country circles.

4. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

When Brent's wife Julie used to Post here, she talked some about Danny.

5. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

i wish there was more information about him out there too. it would be awesome for him to make an instructional dvd and break down all those all those licks in all those alan jackson songs.

6. pgrace245

pgrace245 Tele-Meister

Danny (and Mason) deserve alot of credit in Alan Jackson's fame. Alan's great country voice with their great low end twang certainly complete Alan's song. Johnny had luther and Alan has Danny (and Brent). They make some of the best country songs ever!

7. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

I've been singing Danny's praises for years, I've watched numerous live videos of him and he makes it look like a walk in the park to play those parts. Why he doesn't in the studio would be interesting to find out though.

Another guitarist I feel that never got enough credit is Jimmy Olander (of Diamond Rio). I've been in awe of several guitarists in my life, and got to say these two guys are in the top 10 of my idols.

8. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Tele-Meister

He's been copping those parts & solos note for note for a long time...and without a thumpick!

9. rockycreeker

rockycreeker Tele-Meister

I seem to remember an article (maybe Guitar Player) with Danny Groah years ago where he said that he would add some trial licks, intros, etc to some of Alan's new tunes when Alan wrote them, then Alan would take a rough demo tape into the studio where Brent would work his magic, then Danny said he'd then have to learn Brent's versions of some of the stuff he'd started with. I'm NOT saying Danny Groah took credit for any of Brent's amazing hooks, licks, etc, but it was an interesting story of how the songs developed. Both Danny and Brent are great players.

10. outlawyer

outlawyer Tele-Holic

He's friggin awesome. Alan's whole band is, for that matter. But Danny's one of the best around; a fellow posted a while back that he was opening some shows in Australia I believe for AJ, hope he reports about Danny's gear and all.

11. ramathis

ramathis NEW MEMBER!

Danny is the SOLE REASON I bought a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue which was not a mistake at all.

I still haven't nailed his tone. I changed the speaker to the Jensen C12R 25 watt version and I was surpised at how much of a difference that made. Much more compression now which gets me closer. Also put in a Weber Beam Blocker at the same time. I have no idea why Fender chose the 100 watt C12K for he DRRI. Jensen doesn't even recommend that speaker for the Deluxe Reverb??? I would think the 25 watt C12R more closely matches the original speakers used in a 65 DR.

I'm thinking I may need a power soak of some type to push the power section more and get a more "pushed" sound that begins to overdrive when you play a full chord but is still pretty clean and twangy when playing a single note. (Danny's sound) The problem is a power soak won't let me turn it off while playing to go back to a fully clean sound.

12. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

I've been a big fan of Dany ever since I went to my first Alan Jackson concert - great sound! As luck would have it, Diamond Rio opened for that show in Albai, so I got to see Jimmy O on the same card - awesome stuff.

13. Miles Aubrey

Miles Aubrey TDPRI Member

as a player who worked as a sideman out of Nashville for years, i can second all this. i played on the road for several artists, but was never asked to go in the studio to record albums. kind of frustrating but just the way it is. session work will always be a tough nut to crack, a small circle of pickers who do all the recording. but i considered myself lucky to do what i did, even though i had to play solos note for note from the cds, one or two by brent as well.

14. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I've done sessions with a few hit-record studio players on the Classic-Rock side of things in NY and England. Can honestly say that the best studio guys make up amazing licks on the spot and will get it right-on in 3 takes or less.

Sometimes it's all pre-arranged but sometimes it's just a producers vague idea going into the studio - and the memorable Lead lines on that Top 20 single were created during the session by the hired gun.

15. Countryboy-1970

Countryboy-1970 TDPRI Member

Danny Groah's

Yes, I agree. I wish Danny would come out with a DVD. Brent and Danny are both Amazing guitar players.
    Does anybody know what pickups Danny and or Brent has in their Tele's?

16. Jhunt

Jhunt TDPRI Member

Danny is a monster guitar player. I do know that he played with Clinton Gregory for a while before joining Alan's band. There used to be a few videos on YouTube of Danny playing with Clinton. Redd Volkaert played with Clinton a while also.

17. Zac

Zac Tele-Holic

Last time I saw Danny play with Alan, which was in 2007. The band I was with was opening for him. Danny was then using a blonde 1966 rosewood board tele into 2 Dual Proffesionals. His board had a Boss comp, delay, and a rat that he used as part of a gag at the beginning of "don't rock the jukebox." He would play some rock licks with the rat on, then Alan would kick into the song.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.