1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the skinny on 2000 American Deluxe Telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Spider Dave, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Spider Dave

Spider Dave TDPRI Member

I've been looking a while for a nice new or used Tele with a 43mm (1 11/16") nut, 9.5'-12" radius fretboard, chunky neck preferred. I keep coming back to a near mint all original 2000 American Fender Deluxe with a rosewood fretboard that a local shop has, I doubt it'll last long and there's something about a bound Tele that makes me look twice no matter what. I'm only finding small scraps of info on this guitar being 20 yrs old. I know the neck's not real thick, but it doesn't look thin either. I've been looking for days and feel like the clock's ticking with the Black Friday frenzy going on, so I best do something about it either way.

I'm wondering if anyone who owns or played one could tell me anything about them? Talk me out of it, or into it? I'm sure there are better, but this ones in my budget of $1000 range and I'm having a hard time finding anything. I haven't tried it yet and I know it's all about how it feels to me, etc. It's a 2 hr drive and I'd like to have some kind of idea beforehand than to blindly kill a day when I'm short on time. Should I keep looking or give it consideration and start drivin'?

I tried a Fender American Performer at GC that was 43mm at the nut with maple neck and liked it, but wasn't feeling it enough to buy it. That might've changed if it had a set up. everything else was too high priced, so I've been looking at used. I also picked up a new Vintera 50's & 50's Modified and tried it, I loved it! But it was a bit narrow at the nut. So, back to the 43mm thing...

I'm not expecting perfect. I just want something I'll be happy with to play. I can mod it or change PU's down the road if I needed.

Thanks for any help or opinions in advance. Hope everybody's having a great weekend!

c1ec1f729200406576b879e837cb9135-1200-80.jpg

superjam144 likes this.
  2. Joshtheguitarguy

Joshtheguitarguy TDPRI Member

Somewhere in this cold universe. Or am I an alien?
    Definitely try it. I have had guitars that got away because I didn't try them out. But if it's a problem, you should try building a partscaster. I'm currently getting parts for a 60ś relic sonic blue strat and you can get pretty much completely custom. It's a lot of fun too and you learn a lot. And you can always have someone build it for you.

3. Spider Dave

Spider Dave TDPRI Member

==============================

Ya, I was playing with the same idea yesterday - there's an overwhelming amount of options out there and I couldn't figure out what was quality without breaking the bank. I was afraid of buying stuff that didn't fit quite right.

4. Joshtheguitarguy

Same. But it's a lot less scary when you buy from someone that lets you return stuff. Also, the only part you have to worry about is if the parts are all made in the U.S, because (mostly) they are the same.

5. Spider Dave

Spider Dave TDPRI Member

===========

Hmmmm,...thanks for letting me know that. What's a good place to start looking then?

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Dave, speaking of the Skinny, the necks on these are indeed skinny. Shreddy thin. "Slim" C, maybe not the thinnest thing available then, but marketeers thought in 2000 we wanted thin, thinner still, and crazy thin.

Now, the Strat version of the Deluxe could be bought with a V neck later on, but not so the Am. Deluxe Telecaster.

If you want a chunky neck, you're not going to like these I don't think.

Spider Dave likes this.
  7. Joshtheguitarguy

Warmoth does more custom options, but you can find good stuff on Reverb and eBay. Reverb is my preference, It just seems safer to me.

Spider Dave likes this.
  8. Spider Dave

Spider Dave TDPRI Member

============================

Perfect, that's the perspective I'm lookin' for, Thanks Josh!!! It wouldn't need to be real thick, just not fast skinny. A neck too thin with no shoulders would be a deal breaker for me and my arthritis. So it sounds like you saved me a long drive.

I was finding conflicting results, mostly about the newer models. Other threads I couldn't tell which guitar they were talking about when they jumped from yr to yr - it happens no biggie, but it gets confusing. Maybe I will just do an assembly or build after all?

I'm adding editing this part in: The owner emailed me the specs. Close to my MIM Deluxe Strat somewhat:

12th fret is 7/8”
    1st fret is 13/16”

I'm wondering if the sides have any shoulders? Or is it curved?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The older American Deluxes were definitely the modern C shape - not a lot of shoulder to them.

For what it's worth the 2000 specs were:
    • Neck was 43mm/1.6875" wide, roughly .820" at the first fret/.870" at the 12th fret (maybe a bit thinner in 2000), 9.5" radius (compound radius doesn't start until 2010), and kind of blue/green abalone dots
    • Pickups were Vintage Noiseless; electronics were basic 3-way, volume, no-load tone pot. No S-1 switching back then; that starts in 2004
    • Body could be alder or ash depending on the color; all of them had top binding an the back cut. They had the normal (not contoured) neck heel. As far as colors went 3-color burst, black, trans crimson red were alder, trans teal, natural, and white blonde were ash
    The photo you have up is of a 2010-2015 model that would have the compound radius, N3 pickups, and S-1 switching.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  10. Spider Dave

Spider Dave TDPRI Member

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It never fails to amaze me how much you guys know, thanks John! I like learning so this is great experience even if I didn't get it.

Nice catch btw, I didn't have a pic yet, so I used one that seemed identical, to get the idea across. But you caught that anyway. Ha!

If I wasn't looking for a bit of a thicker neck or at least with shoulders on it, I would be all over it. Thanks again!! Really appreciate the help everybody.

John C likes this.
  11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

You're welcome; glad to help!

12. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

just be forewarned, if i remember correctly, the bridge is a wacky thing that is only used on the am deluxe/std, long with the mounting holes beneath the string holes. so you can't install any vintage mount bridge (plate or modern style) without drilling new mounting holes or tanlines. i'm not sure the string holes line up either, but maybe they do.

Spider Dave likes this.
  13. Spider Dave

Spider Dave TDPRI Member

=============

Oh,... and I would eventually want to change the bridge too or at least have that option. Thanks for the warning.

Since all this, it's made me seriously consider having a neck made to order and build the rest myself. I have some old growth wood I've had forever just begging for the right project and this might be it - finally.

I'll probably be starting a neck thread after this if I can't find enough info after pokin' around first. Thanks everybody!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.