What's the right amp for this situation?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by PastorJay, Nov 10, 2018.

1. John How

John How Tele-Meister

I’ve got a diy brown Princeton 6g2 that I hope one day to use in a medium sized venue of some kind...I can barely get into the volume knob at home, living in a close proximity senior community...for that, a dirt pedal is a life saver and I got miles of clean at home...one of these days I’ll get to crank it...even my single ended Princeton 6 watt is loud for home...something in the 10-15 watt range I suppose...Princeton or there are some inexpensive modeling amps now that sound pretty dang good, fender mustang in various sized...or maybe something in a Brit sound...Sorry if this has already been suggested, I sometimes ramble...

PastorJay likes this.
  2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Tweed Deluxe clone or a Tremolux for the trem.

PastorJay likes this.
  3. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Recent offerings from Supro offer a lot of amp for your money if you want to get away from the Fender sound. PRRI if you want Fender cleans. PRRI also has the benefit of being a killer harp amp.

PastorJay likes this.
  4. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Supro amp would definitely be different, and also right up the 60’s-70’s rock stuff.

Any 15-20 watt amp would be a good choice. I had the Fender PRRI tweed special run from Sweetwater, but I didn’t care for the reverb or the trem (I know, they are considered to be best but I just couldn’t like it). Sold that, and just picked up a Tungsten Crema Wheat. I mean, if you’re talking budget for EC anything, you could drop half that for a tweed deluxe clone like the Tungsten. Check out the YouTube demos with Greg V.

PastorJay likes this.
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I don't see why the Egnater you've already got shouldn't suffice?

PastorJay and Hop2it like this.
  6. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Thanks.

I ramble all the time. And the EC Vibro Champ actually has an attenuator switch which supposedly cuts it down to 1 (count it one) watt. The sound man on low volume gigs loves this.

I figure realistically I'm looking for something in the 12 to 22 watt range. With a Fender-ish or other Vintage tone.

The 5 (or 1) watt Vibro Champ covers truly low volume gigs. The Egnater 40, with a trem pedal always on in the loop, covers gigs where I need lots of volume. But it only sounds glorious when I let the master volume loose, instead of use that knob as a limiter.

So I need something in between 5 watts into an 8" speaker and 40 watts into a 12" speaker. Folks on this thread have given me lots of ideas.

7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

You can go with both kinds: black or tweed :D

It may be banal, but a Deluxe Reverb seems like the ideal amp for your situation: beautiful blackface cleans, reverb and tremolo, the right package for all your gigs except perhaps outdoor in big venues, where you’d have to mic the amp anyway unless it’s a Twin. Never heard anybody complain about how a DR sounds in a blues / Americana context. You can pick according to your budget: a used DRRI or Custom 68, the handwired ’64, a vintage silverface, or a vintage blackface.

A Princeton would likely be too small, but there are many other black/silverface options. If portability is not too much of a concern, I see the big combos (Twin and Super) go for very attractive prices – both the reissues and the vintage ones. Another good option are vintage heads: Bandmaster, Tremolux, Bassman… they are great, most have tremolo, and they can be much cheaper than a vintage Deluxe – especially Bandmasters. I have a 64 Trem I am very happy with.

If you prefer the tweed sound, maybe a tweed deluxe. Or, if you want to stay clean no matter what, and you have a good back, there are used reissue bassmans that go for not too much.

The problem with anything above the wattage of a DR is that you’ll probably dwell on 2-3 of the dial, but if you’re playing clean rhythm I don’t see that as much of a problem. My Trem starts sounding great at around 3.5 and that’s not a high volume by any means.

PastorJay likes this.
  8. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

I would think you're covered with what you have and really have no need for a "tweener" amp, particularly if your amp will be mic'd. Perhaps a pedal or two (OD and Trem) is it.

That said, if you really feel you need another amp, then I would get a Princeton Reverb. 15 plenty loud watts there in a tidy package. I gig my SFPR everywhere.

PastorJay likes this.
  9. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I think the issue is going to come down to whether I can get the Egnater 40 to sound good with the master volume turned down. It does both a good BF/SF sound and a good Fender Tweed. Pretty good Bluesbreaker too.

The Vibro Champ will hopefully cover really low volume small rooms. And the Egnater can handle bigger rooms and outdoors. After looking at some watts to dB tables, I don't think a DRRI will be significantly less loud than the Egnater (assuming their speakers are similarly efficient, which I think they are). So I'm now thinking that maybe Singin' Dave is right. I'm either good as is, or something in the Princeton range (12 to 20 watts) will do the trick. Now for trial and error with the band.

Thanks everybody for your help. I'll post an update if I end up buying something.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  10. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

Good luck!

PastorJay likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.