1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the perfect pick for you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MrCoolGuy, Dec 4, 2020.

1. TeleinTX

TeleinTX Tele-Meister

I had an "accident" while smashing an old acoustic back in the '80's courtesy of tequila shots, that rendered my right index finger numb after it had to be restitched back on to the rest of the finger (compound fracture). It had a positive effect on my marksmanship, as I couldn't feel the end of the finger so I didn't anticipate the recoil when pulling the trigger.

However, it's hard to hold a pick, mostly when strumming. On electrics, I use .60mm "Star Picks" with a jagged hole in them where I can kind of feel my thumb with the tip of the index. On acoustic, I use Jim Dunlop .38 and .46mm that have very fine serrations on them for better grip. I still drop picks regularly...usually they disappear into the sound hole if I'm not using a feedback buster...but I've gotten good at pulling another out of the pick dispensers I have mounted on my acoustic/electrics, usually without losing a stroke.

Dropping picks into the sound holes has got to be a "thing", since it happens so often to me. Sometimes it's hard to flip the guitar just right for them to fall out of the sound hole. Frustrating as all get out. That may have been why I smashed the guitar way back then, which deformed my finger in the first place. I've been tequila free ever since.

2. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

Fender 551 extra heavy. Celluloid is the best material. Glide but no chirp. These are heavy enough (though i’d like 2mm ideally) and smooth. The d’andreas are probably just as good. Tortex is good sounding but doesn’t glide as easily. Nylon is fine too for snap sometimes. Everything else is terrible. I don’t know how you can play with gain with stuff like ultex outside of being buried in a mix. Once you hear the pick noise you can’t unhear it. I think all that ultra-mega-materials-science-tech stuff is mostly snake oil. Feels good, but sounds like crap.

3. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Used to be Fender or Dunlop extra heavies. I liked their tone but always struggled to keep them from rotating between my fingers. A few months ago I wound up using a Fender medium by chance, and I realized after a few minutes the pick rotated waaaay less in my hand than the x-heavies did. I have no idea why that is, but I bought a bag of mediums the next day and haven't looked back.

4. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

Fingers!

Guitardvark likes this.
  5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

If you advertise them as 'Vintage Fender Medium guitar picks from the 1960's', yes I am sure they'll fetch a pretty penny.

;)

6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

These. Anything else just spins in my fingertips. My fingerprints are worn off so slick stuff just slides off

20201205_184934.jpg

7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

this week i have been enjoying little red dunlop jazz III's. last week i was digging 3.0 big stubby's. who knows what's next.

i just yesterday found that you can rotate the jazz III's and use either the corners or the round edge and get some neat scritchy on the note.

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

9. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

alien pick.gif
    Heavy. The best because Alien Technology. Plus they glow in the dark.

10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

The perfect pick for me is one I make myself. I've experimented with various plastics: used gift cards, expired credit cards, old driver's licenses, etc. (See top two rows in the first pic below.)

Personally Punched Picks.png

But I stumbled across the material I've settled on a couple of years or so ago, when my wife brought home a few sample cards of countertop high pressure laminate material. Building project aside, I looked at those and thought, "I wonder if my punch could punch through that stuff?"

And I tried it, and it could. I started using them, and to my delight, they work great for me. I like a very stiff pick, and these fit the bill. I like a thick pick, a heavier gauge, as in 1 or 1.25 mm. This material is just under 1 mm in thickness. See the second two rows in the pic above, and the pic below of an HPL sample card, my pick punch and some picks I personally punched.

12-05-2020 - Pick punch, HPL sample & pics.png

MrCoolGuy likes this.
  11. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I really like Dunlop Primetones. I started with the .88s and I have since switched to the 1.0s. Haven't been tempted to try anything else.

MrCoolGuy likes this.
  12. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

me love grabbin an pullin at the strings with my right hand so much more than just pickin at em..the full 5 finger assault :)

MrCoolGuy likes this.
  13. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Was a Jazz III until I picked up a V-pick Lite, Small

MrCoolGuy and DeepDangler like this.
  14. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

upload_2020-12-5_21-34-36.png

MrCoolGuy likes this.
  15. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

If I'm buying, the Dunlop Tortex orange. They straddle the perfect balance between snap and thump. I tried Tortex greens, but they were too thumpy. No chirps though, which is nice because as a high-gain player, I often mute a note with the pick edge as I prepare for the next note. Tortex reds I kinda liked, but they were just too snappy. On acoustic, that's all I could hear after a few strums.

Otherwise, it's whatever I've accumulated from vendors who send picks as a promo item, or the free ones the music store gave me when I bought strings or whatnot. Right now I have in my pick can:
    - an abundance of no-name celluloid picks: 2 brown, 1 blue, 1 green, and 2 pink. 0.74mm - 0.82mm according to my calipers. EDIT: one of the brown ones is a Dunlop 'M'.
    - some promo picks from a friend's business in what looks like the same white material that Claytons are made of. 2 in 0.85mm, one in 0.62mm. I like the 0.85 ones better.
    - two no-name 'triangle' style picks, one in cream color 0.65mm, the other a purple 0.70mm. I play those a lot, and they still haven't worn down.
    - about 6 or 7 metal picks I made from a discarded VCR enclosure, and one from a small piece of sheet brass. I like the brass one because the edges were very easy to get smooth so it doesn't sound scratchy like the others, but they all chirp pretty badly even though they're fun to play with every once in a while.

Picks I own but don't use:
    - a few assorted Dunlop nylon picks that I don't like at all; a 0.46mm, 0.67mm, and 0.88mm. I don't know what it is about nylon picks, I just don't like 'em no matter how thick or thin.
    - a Clayton 1.52mm that I never use. Too thick and thumpy.

MrCoolGuy likes this.
  16. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Looking at my pick tin, there isnt one!

MrCoolGuy likes this.
  17. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'm stuck in my old school rut...

Dunlop Jazz III for me, please.

All I've used since 1973, or so.

MrCoolGuy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.