1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the one concert you're glad you didn't miss?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Downshift, May 3, 2020.

1. Linkslover

Linkslover Tele-Meister

Breen to a lot of great concerts.

But to pick just one it would be the Grateful Dead on mother's day 1973 at the Des Moines County Fairgrounds.

They played 3 sets starting at around 1 pm and ending about 6 pm.

When it started closing up, they played Looks Like Rain. When they played Here Comes Sunshine, the zayn came back out. If course m the was a rainbow.

They also head great set lists including dinne wonderful jams - i.e. Truckin' > The Other One > Wharf Rat.

Vker likes this.
  2. Linkslover

Linkslover Tele-Meister

Been to a lot of great concerts.

But to pick just one it would be the Grateful Dead on mother's day 1973 at the Des Moines County Fairgrounds.

They played 3 sets starting at around 1 pm and ending about 6 pm.

When it started closing up, they played Looks Like Rain. When they played Here Comes Sunshine, the zayn came back out. If course m the was a rainbow.

They also head great set lists including dinne wonderful jams - i.e. Truckin' > The Other One > Wharf Rat.

Vanzant likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I saw BB the same year.
    I saw him on the occasion of his 70th birthday, in Price George, BC.
    He and his band were brilliant
    He was a charming guy, too!

aging_rocker and nobis17 like this.
  4. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

I have 2: Nektar at Town Hall in NYC in '00 or so, and the first tine I saw Cowboy Junkies at City Winery (also NYC).

Nektar had just re-formed with the original lineup, and just killed. Blew the place up. Junkies was a perfect marriage of band and space, and the fuzztone mandolin messed with my head big time.

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Santana warming up for Eric Clapton in 1977.

Vanzant likes this.
  6. SithTracy

SithTracy TDPRI Member

I was probably 10-11 years old, but my Aunt & Uncle took me to see Johnny Cash (probably around 1979 -1980 in Merrillville, IN). I love my rock and roll, but always been a fan of the Man in Black. Sadly, never got around to seeing him again.

gregulator450 likes this.
  7. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

i'm glad i caught roky erickson the last time he came through town. he was pretty together that night, and he died not long after.

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

J
    E
    F
    F

B
    .E
    ..C

brookdalebill, Vker and aging_rocker like this.
  9. BourbonSamurai

BourbonSamurai Tele-Holic

mid '90s, i caught RL Burnside, with Cedric Burnside on drums, Kenny Brown on bottleneck Stratocaster, and Jon Spencer on 335. Spencer was known for noisy garage rock then, but he was a very tasty blues player, too. Kenny Brown, of course, slayed. i saw RL and his band many, many times in that era, but only once with Spencer. very memorable!

aging_rocker and Matt G like this.
  10. Howdog

Howdog TDPRI Member

1st concert - Jethro Tull Passion Play tour. Saw Tull several times in the 70's and it was always immaculate musicianship and a great show.

Saw Neil Young at the Cow Palace the night they recorded Live Rust. Heard the Rust Never Sleeps material before it was released and it opened up a whole new side of Neil.

Talking Heads Stop Making Sense Tour with X and Oingo Boingo opening. 3 amazing bands at their peak.

Devo at the UC Davis Coffee House right after their Saturday Night Live appearance. The band was 10 feet away and Gerald Casale told us we were all good monkeys at the end of the show.

Many more, but these were standouts.

Vker and aging_rocker like this.
  11. billiam5billion

billiam5billion TDPRI Member

Dick Dale at the Continental club in Houston, about 8-9 years ago. Only time I got to see him live and we hung out and chatted after the show. What a mind-blowing set. He just flowed from one idea to the other, with his band trying to keep up. His son was on drums and was incredible. The wall of amps behind him was amazing. Very educational show for a musician who had played on that same stage before, just flabbergasting to see what could be done sonically with the space.

DonM, gregulator450 and Matt G like this.
  12. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A few years back friends called and asked if I wanted to go see Little Feat for free. Went down to the Mississippi River bank right under the Gateway Arch and they put on a great show with help from Johnny Johnson's horn section. They called an ambulance right after the show to take an exhausted Richie Hayward for care. I don't think he ever played again and died soon after of Liver Cancer. I am so glad I jumped in the car on the spur of the moment and got to see Richie play one last time

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Bryan Adams.
    The theatre created eight new front rows and I got tickets for my ex and i for $55- el chepo for Australia.
    We had a great time bopping along. Keith Scott BTW is an AMAZING guitarist.

14. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

LINK WRAY (with Robert Gordon) 1978
    STATUS QUO – 1979
    AC DC – November 1979 (with Bon Scott, 3 months before he died)
    QUEEN – February 1979
    KISS – 1980
    MOTÖRHEAD – 1980
    SCORPIONS – 1980
    IGGY POP – 1980
    KRAFTWERK – 1981
    R.E.M. – 1984

15. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Eazy-E, N.W.A., Too $hort and The D.O.C.-Straight Outta Compton tour. I was in 9th grade. I glad my mom let me go. Minneapolis, MN at the old Met Center where the old Minnesota North Stars used to play hockey before the owner packed em up at midnight one night and drove them to Dallas.

Making the NWA show has made up for it in my mind of missing these two:

Sublime-fall 1995 at the Newport in Columbus, OH. I was in route from Dayton, OH and turned around.

Morphine-Cinci around the same time

Both singers died shortly after I missed those shows.

gregulator450 likes this.
  16. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

The Sir Douglas Quintet at Center Stage, Providence RI, 4/14/81. The crowd was VERY light and Doug and band just killed it! I was SO lucky to be there.

brookdalebill and Matt G like this.
  17. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Tina Turner's Private Dancer Comeback Tour. The most marvellous high-energy stage show you'll ever see with incredible performances by Ms. Turner and her backing band!

18. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Peter Frampton blew the roof off the Anthem here in DC last year. I wasn't expecting that. If I'm half as good as he is when I get to be his age, I'll be pretty pleased with myself.

19. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Fort Clayton, Panama Canal Zone: US Army Band concert, concluding with the 1812 Overture with live artillery.

Or should I say, !!!LIVE ARTILLERY!!!

(I'm also the only person you'll ever meet who saw both Nirvana and Silverchair when they were still so unknown and the venues so small that I could talk to the band and help with equipment.)

20. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Stand outs for me:

Motörhead - Ace of Spades tour. 1st ever gig - my ears are still ringing...

Black Sabbath with Dio on the Heaven and Hell tour. Not generally people’s favourite incarnation but heck Dio had some pipes.

The Three O’Clock in a tiny club in Croydon called the underground early 80s

New Model Army at Hammersmith Palau’s round the same time. Sweaty and heaving and just great...

The Ramones in London somewhere about 86. Utterly packed to the gills; saw Lemmy and Hanoi Rocks standing at the bar...

Still Little Fingers Brixton Academy early 90s on St Patrick’s Day. There was a riot going on when we came out. Seemed tamer than the gig....

The Roundabout Tour - early 90s. Went to see Jesus and Mary Chain, Dinosaur Jr and My Bloody Valentine. Came away utterly astounded by this new up and coming band called Blur.

Green Day at British Summertime about 2017. My daughters first ever concert we got close up to the front right in amongst the mosh pits. Standing in the crowd with 65000 people singing Bo Rap before Green Day came on was just incredible...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.