1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the one concert you're glad you didn't miss?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Downshift, May 3, 2020.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I saw Doc at the Armadillo World Headquarters in 1978, with a young Marty Stuart on an Ampeg Spider bass.

DonM likes this.
  2. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a million stories, but my favorite is the time during a Stevie Ray Vaughn set that one of our mid drivers erupted in flames. We were fortunate it did not take the amp with it. The crowd loved it, and I could have sold the charred driver to any number of folks in the crowd (we eventually re-coned it). For tech nerds, it was an EV12M driver driven by a Carver amp of which I have long forgotten the model. Those were tough amps.

Matt G likes this.
  3. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Had to be 1978-9? Pink Floyd Animals tour and Led Zeppelin Presence tour. Won 3rd row seats to Zep, after waiting 2 days in the freezing weather and was on TV for snoozing on a cop car, only got "obstructed View" tix, then a call to KLIF (?) and BANG, 3rd row! Too young to remember if the concert was any good, but it was PAGE! I was rapt.

Vker likes this.
  4. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I saw Primus when they played with the Melvins. My friend said it was like listening to the Seinfeld theme on repeat while on bad drugs. :lol:

5. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If I have to choose one, Ministry 1995 at a festival. I was 17 so too young to get into the club show. I was a huge fan, still am, and they didn't disappoint.

A few honorable mentions. Young Gods 1996. Geek Show tour (Fantomas, Melvins, Tomahawk) 2003 - went to 2 shows. Sigur Ros (2006?).

Also, I got to see some brilliant shows at very small clubs in front of much smaller audiences than the artists deserved - Cecile Corbel, Roland Howard (not long before he passed), Snog.

... and plenty more. Good times.

Speedfish likes this.
  6. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

BB King -- 1995 Wichita, KS

brookdalebill and Milspec like this.
  7. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Aside from a bunch of Dead shows? Aretha at Fillmore West in '71.

gregulator450 and Matt G like this.
  8. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Tom pettys final tour. Many dead shows. Soundgarden before they got big was a pretty awesome show as well.

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I was in a bar one night with a friend. REO came in after their Hi Infidelity tour concert( circa '80-'81 IIRC)...probably at the Buffalo War Memorial Auditorium at the time, and did a set with the bands equipment.... Now that was pretty cool. They even signed autographs if you wanted them.

DonM and Matt G like this.
  10. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

This tour for sure! I saw them at the Cap Centre in Landover, MD, former home of the Caps and Bullets. And the site of many other great shows.

11. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

Haven't been to a good concert

Some I attended between the ages of 18 and 23:

Pink Floyd in an 80,000 seat stadium
    U2 in an 80,000 seat stadium (i was too drunk)
    Bush (lousy)
    Dave Matthews Band (ok)
    Primus (kind of cool)
    Nine Inch Nails (loud and weird)
    Alan Jackson (country crap)
    Phish (didn't smoke weed)

Best I saw was 30 minutes of Joe Cocker and his band about 14 years ago at a music festival.

I regret missing Hall and Oates last summer and Steely Dan several years ago.

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

The Rolling Stones, Steel Wheels Tour 1989 and Voodoo Lounge Tour 1993, both at the Cotton Bowl.

The Second Biggest Party in Texas at the Cotton Bowl, featuring ZZ Top, 1990

Buddy Guy w/Kim Wilson & the Antone’s House Band, 1990

Arc Angels, 1991

Clifford Antone’s Tax Benefit, 1992

Eric Clapton Crossroads Festival at the Cotton Bowl, 2003

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I've seen so many live concerts since 1965, too many have been forgotten.Seen most of the "best".Gone to mediocre ones also.Don't regret em. My parents worked at the major venue in town for many years. I was looking for upcoming concerts earlier today.Train of thought thinks this will not be until 2021.

14. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Elton John, first US appearance. Troubadour, Hollywood, August 1970.

brookdalebill, DonM and Matt G like this.
  15. Danno

Danno Tele-Holic

Nirvana - Bleach tour 5/2/90 Charlotte, NC. I was in the opening band. They were Sabbath heavy then. Not sure what changed but it did!

16. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Roosevelt Stadium! Never went there when it was there, kinda like the old Shea Stadium.

There's a monster condo development there, now. Same with Caven Point on the other side of Jersey City.

Best concert I ever went to was Dickie Betts dba Great Southern at the Champlain Valley Balloon Fest around ten years ago. The concert was almost an afterthought. We paid ten bucks per ticket, front row center. They had alligator wrestling, too.

:) :) :)

Or maybe Frampton the first week Showcase Live opened at Foxboro. It was like dinner theater featuring Peter Frampton. We were so close to the stage I could bounce French fries off Peter's shoes.

Or any of the last three John Prine concerts we went to. The one in Hanover, New Hampshire was his warmup for Newport. Missed Newport. Roger Waters joined John onstage for a song or two.

brookdalebill, Matt G and VWAmTele like this.
  17. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Jay and the Americans 1966 at Regina
    johnny Rivers 1975 or 6 Regina

DonM likes this.
  18. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

0C85D54E-1FBE-4976-BD22-D69791F2D356.jpeg DAA55481-A758-4EC7-A02F-3038B2EF2B42.jpeg
    It’s a coin flip between these two great American icons. My Mom had to sacrifice her Ray Charles tickets to me for something more important, but I forget the circumstances. Ray died 6 months after I saw him.
    I never thought that BB would play in our area, but he did, and I was all over those tickets. I think it was a couple years after that, and he was gone too.

brookdalebill and aging_rocker like this.
  19. Big Lug

Big Lug Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

The very first concert I went to...

upload_2020-5-6_15-16-23.jpeg

...and was introduced to wacky tobacky...

DonM, Vker and aging_rocker like this.
  20. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I missed the original Mahavishnu but caught John with Carlos in the early 70s in support of the album they did together. Great show. And I did catch him with the newer 'vishnu version with Narada and Ralph Armstrong in the rhythm section a year or so later.

Didn't see him again until 2017 with the 4th Dimension. Fabulous stuff. I'd been waiting for him to kick arse again for a while now and I was not disappointed. It shows when you can keep a band together for a few years what music you can make.

This was his last US tour heading for semi retirement status. Hope he still hits the studio once in a while.

This was one concert I'm glad I didn't miss. mac.jpg

Matt G likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.