1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What's the one concert you're glad you didn't miss?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Downshift, May 3, 2020.

1. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

SRV at the Schnitzer Hall in Portland, OR. I think it was 1990. I saw him again with Joe **** in Salem, OR shortly before he passed but the show in Portland blew my 19/20 year old mind. He closed with 3rd Stone from the Sun. He was crawling around grabbing his strat off the floor by the whammy bar just going off.

The other was mid 90's. Neil Young/Pearl Jam/Blind Melon at Portland Meadows. Great show.

2. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ozzy's Blizzard tour with Randy Rhoads, Tower Theater, Upper Darby - 8th row, right of center. I couldn't believe his playing.

My 1st. J. Geils, Lynynrd Skynyrd w/ Ronny, and Peter Frampton

SRV open for the Moody Blues - surreal

David Bowie w/ Adrian Belew

also the privilege of seeing B.B. King w/ Elvin Bishop opening - up close around 6 row.

and so many others.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  3. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

October 28, 1966, Dallas Tx Bobby Hebb (Sunny), and the Yardbirds with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Paige both on guitar. Eric Clapton had just left The Yardbirds. The most memorable thing about the concert? Jimmy Paige playing the lead lick to "Over, Under, Sideways Down" using a bow- rather eye opening for a noob that had been trying to tackle guitar for about 8 months. Still trying to tackle guitar almost 54 years later!

4. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Queensryche Operation Mindcrime 1 & 2 Album played live in entirety, and then both of them back to back.

Every time they set the stage up semi near to me..went.

Steely Dan- No Static at All

Pink Floyd- Division Bell

Heaven & Hell- slightly before RJD passed on

duzie likes this.
  5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I never got to see very many concerts, but i'm glad I saw Springsteen and e-street at Louisville gardens on aug 5th, 1978. I've never seen anything else that was even in that league, IMHO.

but i'm also glad I got to see Brownsville Station live in 1973. They knew how to have a good time!

6. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    my first one :) LOL

not sure .. I'm kinda selective, and btw whit all the stuff that doesn't even whow up here is kinda big thing being slective, i have no regrets on the ones i saw

7. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

I've been fortunate to have seen quite a few great shows. A few I'll brag about for years to come:

Here in Nashville at the Opry House, January 28, 1986: A triple header with The Fabulous Thunderbirds, SRV, and BB King. The encore jams at the end with Jimmy, Stevie, and BB were everything you would expect them to be.

Somewhere in Atlanta, 2000: Ronnie James Dio. Doro Pesch opened (it was okay), Yngwie did a full show (and any Yngwie show since he stopped drinking is worth seeing), but it was the love in the room for Ronnie that made the show special. I'd seen him several times before, with bigger stage productions and effects, but that was my favorite show of his.

Tampa Florida, April 3, 2018: Michael Schenker Fest. I had never seen Schenker in concert before even though he is one of my all-time favorite rock guitarists. He just never played Nashville and we have never been in Tokyo at the same time. So I flew to Tampa to catch him with Graham Bonnet, Gary Barden, Robin McCauley, and Dougie White all sharing vocal duties. Even sprang the extra $300 to see the soundcheck and do the meet-and-greet before the show. One of the best, most fun rock concerts I've ever seen. Ted McKenna was amazing as always and I'm glad I got see him one last time, as he passed away during a medical procedure less than a year later.

8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

1) Manic Street Preachers' 'Holy Bible' tour in 2015.

Given how seldom they ever come to the States, it may have been a once in a lifetime chance to see them. Glad I went, they were absolutely exceptional.

We saw The Wombats that same week, in the same venue. That was a good week for live shows.

2) The Wildhearts 'Must Destroy New York (and New Jersey)' weekend swing in 2004. Another great band that doesn't get to the States much. We signed up for the meet & greet and got to hang during sound check. Among a bunch of obscure Giner tunes, they played 'Surrender' by Cheap Trick.

- D

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  9. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I've attended dozens of Merle Haggard shows--starting in 1980, with the last one being November 2015, about six months prior to his death.

If I had to pick one...it would be a concert at the Horseshoe Riverdome in Bossier City, Louisiana, in 2010 IIRC. He and Kris Kristofferson were doing a package tour, and it was very laid back and informal. There were no keys/piano, no fiddle, no sax--and just a little scaled down drum kit. It didn't look like a Strangers stage in the least.

The end result was that it was like listening to Merle and Kris jam in somebody's living room.

brookdalebill and Matt G like this.
  10. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

"An Evening with Metallica"
    Dec 23, 1991 at the Woostah Centrum
    They were at their best and I was at my angsty high school worst and fully primed for that set.
    They even played Breadfan, which all my other Metallica loving friends gave me crap for liking.
    Floor seats. Not super close but close enough. My ears were still ringing on Christmas and I couldn't have been happier.

11. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Can't pick just one:

Bowie on a double-bill with Nine Inch Nails in the 90's;

Bowie in 2002 at the Tower Theater in Philly - he was having so much fun just playing his songs;

Van Halen in 1984. I would have loved to have seen them earlier, but I'm glad I got to see the original lineup while they were all healthy and capable;

Fountains of Wayne in a bar in Hoboken (especially now that Adam has died);

U2, Unforgettable Fire tour, just before they became mega-superstars;

BB King. His health was declining and he sat throughout the show, but he could still play and sing.

Matt G likes this.
  12. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Pinkpop Classic 2007, among others on the bill was:
    - Willy DeVille

Pinkpop Classic 2010
    - Gary Moore

So glad to have seen both of them before they passed away.

13. milopera

milopera TDPRI Member

Eric Clapton in the mid 90's. The UNC Chapel Hill Arena in North Carolina. Michael Jordan's 23 jersey hung up on the ceiling among all the championship pennants. He got on stage and said they were only playing the blues that night. I didn't appreciate it at the time as I would now, I wish I could go back and see it again!

14. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

SRV a couple months before he died (show was June 1990). Excellent concert, a blues fest that also featured John Lee Hooker, Dr John, Joe Cocker, and BB King closed it out. Still have the tee shirt. He and his band were TIGHT and played great!

15. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

I've been to a lot of great shows that I really enjoyed. If I had to pick one that I was glad I made it to it would probably be the first time I saw the Pretenders. I think it was back in 1980 at the Warfield Theater in SF. James Honeyman Scott's career was cut short much too soon. I am glad that I got to see him and Pete Farndon play with the band.

Slip Kid and aging_rocker like this.
  16. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Since the OP only wanted one concert, I'd say it would have to be Weather Report in a small venue in underground Raleigh in 1974 just after the release of Mysterious Traveller.

17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Edgar Winter's White Trash in an old theater in '72 or early '73. It was a burn the house down R&B show with Rick Derringer on guitar and Jerry LaCroix on voice.

brookdalebill, DonM and Pickingthru like this.
  18. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

It might sound odd to many on here, but that concert was Frank Sinatra just a few months prior to his death.

He was battling demntia and performing with his son at the time. When they announced that he would be performing at Aksarben in Omaha I knew I had to see the show. It was not a huge venue and they did a very odd thing with the tickets. You could only purchase them via mail in requests and they filled the request as they opened the envelopes. Supposedly, it was requested by Frank so that every fan would have a chance at getting good seats instead of them just going to the one with the most cash. Every ticket was about $50 (a real bargain) and you were limited to just 2. The other unique thing was that they would ignore any mailed requests postmarked prior to a certain date.

Well, I got my local post office to send it a day early and cancel the stamp for the following day. I am sure that would be a Federal offense today, but it seemed harmless at the time. I ended up with amazing seats just a few rows from the stage just about center. I was so thrilled that I rented a tux and deciced to go in proper style.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend at the time didn't share the interest in seeing Sinatra and refused to go. I still have the un-torn ticket framed on the wall as a reminder since I nearly skipped the concert over it....so glad I didn't as he passed away not long after that.

The show was great too. He did forget lyrics at times and it was difficult to see it, but he always used some humor to get out of it. Frank Jr. would make adjustments with the band to help make it less noticeable and support him until the memory came back around. Some parts would get lost, but most of the time he was on his game singing with great passion and interacting with the crowd. He even gave me a little finger point for wearing the tux, but having the empty seat next to me was not good.

I was really 50/50 on going that night after the fight with the girlfriend and had I not gone, I would have missed my only chance to see Sinatra in person. So, glad I went that night.

Oh, and the girlfriend didn't work out anyway...so right choice all around.

Vker, Matt G, philpm and 3 others like this.
  19. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

“Mick and Keith were 29 year's old and looked great!”

And I was 25; sigh. Hard to believe it was that long ago. Remember it like it was last week and it sounds like you do too.

brookdalebill, Matt G and rand z like this.
  20. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

BB King live at the Kodak Theater January 22, 2007.
    He was sitting down and reminiscing while going through milestones from his catalog.
    What a treasure.
    Good grief! Was that 13 years ago?

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.