What's the one concert you're glad you didn't miss?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Downshift, May 3, 2020.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

The Grateful Dead, Wembley Empire Pool, 1972.

My brother dragged me to the gig and I pretty much hated every minute of it but at least I can make Deadheads go, "Wow Man..." when I tell them what I think of their favorite band...
    :lol:

2. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

In terms of concerts I actually liked, at the top of the list would have to be The Sex Pistols at the 100 Club in 1976, The Ramones at the Rainbow Theater on New Year's Eve 1977, and Stevie Ray Vaughn/Jeff Beck at the Capitol Centre in 1989.

Steve 78 likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh yeah, Jerry Lee Lewis/ Little Richard. With Johnny Rivers opening :cool:

DonM likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I have not been to many shows for a 61 year old guy ( either no $$ for that, plus just lots of gigs to play)

But seeing the Rolling Stones ( Steel Wheels tour) and Bob Dylan on my Birthday (yay!) in the early 2000's are at the top of my list.

Plus Bob and band played " Brown Sugar!"

gregulator450 and DonM like this.
  5. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Emerson,Lake & Palmer, Dec. 17,1973,Madison Square Garden. Never heard 'em, but I was dating a new chick & I needed a place to take her & ELP was coming up. We broke up before the concert, so I took my buddy Mike who I knew was a major ELP freak. Saw what Greg Lake considers to be ELP's best show ever, and was an absolute IMMEDIATE fan. They have been my favorite band for almost half a century,and have seen 'em 17 times since.

Coincidentally, on that exact date 45 years later (12/17/18) I saw Trans Siberian Orchestra here in Tampa & thought they are the closest thing I'll ever get to ELP.

6. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Chicago and The Illinois Speed Press circa 1968. My two favorite groups at the time.

7. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Even inflation adjusted, that's around $37 - still a great deal.

8. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

philpm likes this.
  9. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

OK, one more, Led Zeppelin, Seattle Center, March, 1975.

DonM likes this.
  10. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Roger Waters on The Wall tour in 2012 and again in 2013. I’d kicked myself for missing the Floyd Wall concerts back in 1980/81, and a friend who wasn’t even a real PF fan had been to one of the last ones to make it even worse (I was in high school at the time). So going to see Roger’s version in 2012 was a great buzz, and as I said when I saw him do it again the year after, “That was a once in a lifetime experience: and I saw it twice!”

11. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Stones in Ontario - summer of 2019. I had never seen them live, but thinking they might be past their prime (and with the price of tickets), I was back and forth on deciding whether or not to go. I am so happy we went. Fantastic show, good weather, and we had a great time visiting or neighbors to the north.

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Any from Bruce Springsteen. Honestly, I don't think you could better than him, live :)

Chuck Prophet in Paris was also very nice. Man, I love this guy!

13. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

ABB June 30th, 1974. 30 yard line Jeppesen Stadium.
    My wife brought a cooler full of fried Chicken. By the time Commander Cody was done and ABB started we had sold enough chicken to pay for the tickets.

brookdalebill and Matt G like this.
  14. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Afflicted

Albert Lee at Martyrs' in Chicago..
    (same weekend as Clapton's Crossroads concert...)
    Vince Gill, Ricky Skaggs and James Burton dropped in to jam with Albert, unannounced...
    I stood right next to the guy videoing this
    didn't move for four hours...

This is just one of the many videos on youtube of the event

15. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Seen lots of great concerts over the years, some from musicians who have passed (Ramones, Peter Tosh, Joe Strummer), but the one that had the most impact on me was seeing The Band (sadly minus Robbie) in Calgary in the spring of 82 (I believe). They sounded fantastic, gave it 110% and looked like they were having the time of their lives. I've taken musical and performance inspiration from that night ever since.

16. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

The 1970 Atlanta Pop Fest .

brookdalebill, philpm and VWAmTele like this.
  17. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Pink Floyd...dark side of the moon tour. And riders of the purple sage! Oh and Hendrix, doors, Led Zep, ZZTop opening for the stones, CCR, IRON BUTTERFLY, Jefferson airplane, early Santana, moody blues.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Deep Purple with Tommy Bolin and Nazareth in Miami
    right before he passed.

19. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

Motorhead with Blue Oyster Cult(Bastard Tour). KISS, when my kids wore the makeup and Paul Stanley pointed to my 9 year old made up as the Star Child, and a security guard came over and gave her a handful of guitar picks from all of the members. Elle King with Barnes Courtney. I had no idea who Barnes Courtney was, but I was expecting some folk singer with an acoustic to bore me for 1/2 an hour, but this guy came out on fire! He strutted like Mick Jagger, danced like a young Paul Stanley, and exuded a passion and love for the audience like Freddy Mercury. He came out into the audience for his final number. He was soaked in sweat and I was pogoing up and down with him with our right hands clasped ! It was electric!
    KT Tunstall at The Winery in Nashville. Did the meet and greet before the show. She explained how one day she woke up and was completely deaf in her right ear. Her story inspired me to overlook my own hearing damage and keep writing and playing!
    There was also: The Greatful Dead on Halloween night. Pink Floyd twice (as much for the adventures of getting there as the concerts themselves). Robert Plant was great, but after the show I told the young lady that I was with that I was ready to see other people. Chalk it up to youth and stupidity. Bad timing and big mistake! She deserved much better.
    Journey with Steve Perry sucked and Lover Boy blew them off the stage with very little stage to work with! It's more memorable because Journey was the worst act that I've ever seen live!
    Quiet Riot with Def Leppard(QR opened). Rory Gallagher as an opener on several occasions (which I would appreciate even more now if I could go back). Cheap Trick a handful of times always inspiring and gave 100% on stage.
    Primus opening for Rush. I was never a Rush fan, but always respected their musical prowess. My friend Blake, didn't care for Primus and referred to them as playing "night mare music". I have to admit that they did create an imagery that reminded me of the scarier pages of a Doctor Seuss book.
    Alice in Chains at Lallapalooza. Layne came over with his dog when my wife and I were far right of the field.
    All of the unnamed(names escaped from my memory) Blue Grass bands that I saw as a child up in the Blue Ridge Mountains with my parents and sister growing up. I was a wall flower then, and remain introverted to this day, but I stood spellbound at the edge of the dance floor, clapping and stomping as I watched my parents and my younger sister square dance and clog with joyous fury. It was thunderous and exciting!
    Too many more to mention or bore you with!

;););)
    ;)

Slip Kid, Steve 78 and lewis like this.
  20. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

I've been on this earth for over five decades, been to many memorable shows (The Who, U2, RHCP, Radiohead, etc). Fortunately where I live there's a strong and committed bluegrass community. On most weekends I can find a group of musicians, at a local restaurant or bar, that will leave my jaw on the floor. And after the show you can walk up to them, shake their hands, and thank them for a great performance.
    But there's one big rock show that stands out, Elton John at Denver's Pepsi Center about six years ago. Brought me to tears.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.